Quantcast
Shopping for an oilfield truck - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Shopping for an oilfield truck

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Default Shopping for an oilfield truck

I'm driving an 08 Sierra 1500, but I'm pretty sure the way I drive it and how many miles I am putting on it isn't going to last me very long. 30,000km In 9 months, and I wasn't really using it for 4 of those months.

I'd like to try a diesel, but I don't see any good reason to get a 1-ton because I don't have anything heavy to tow.

I do want 4-doors, and at least a 6.5 foot box for carrying MWD tools if I ever have to.

This truck is going to be my life line, so it has to be reliable as number 1 priority.

What's good these days considering these points?
    On Sabbatical

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

I would skip the 1 or 3/4 ton and go for a Raptor. The road I'm travelling is 110km of pure washed out shit and it's already shaking my 1 ton loose at only 50000km.

My cross shift has a Raptor with 100000km that still drives like new, I've borrowed it a few times to go to the gym and it's night and day compared to my truck, it feels like it's just gliding over all the wash. Another guy I worked with had over 200000 on his and it ran like a top with no issues, told me it's never once let him down and he's still driving it so he must be at at least 240-250k km.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

That suggestion sounds really absurd yet sane at the same time. Hahaha.

I'd definitely consider it if it was reasonably priced. Any idea where you would go hunting for a used one?
    On Sabbatical

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

2am reply, you must be working the night shift too.

Go look on kijiji, there's tons for sale in AB starting at just over $30k. Since you're an mwd hand you shouldn't have a problem travelling to pick one up.

I'm stuck with my truck for another 20ish months but as soon as I can that thing is gonzo and I'm grabbing a Raptor (for work).

How much are you looking to spend?
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Yup. PD 535 up in Dawson Creek. You?? New territory for me, running a dual telemetry EM/Pulse tool. It's pretty sweet. Was down in saskatchewan earlier which sucked, 3 day holes.

I don't mind paying if I think I will get my money's worth. $40k Doesn't seem unreasonable if I'll be mileing it out to 250+.

I was also thinking of one of the F-250 super duty's too. Haven't heard too much about them though. I just think they look really sweet.
    Last edited by themack89; 10-15-2014 at 02:17 AM.
    On Sabbatical

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Patterson near GP. Looks like rotating full stands all night so I'm likely going to be on beyond till 7 haha.

I'd definitely look into it though, if you're buying you're own truck you must be consulting so you make decent cash and can afford it. Especially with how busy this winter is going to be.

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

We'll be rotating all night too, 450m until TD @ 4800.

I'm actually a staff hand right now, only started in Jan. But I've done quite well for them so I asked to be put on consulting and they agreed. Still lining up my paperwork.

I'm definitely gonna look into the Raptor though. I always thought of it as a luxury truck but I see the merit in it.
    Last edited by themack89; 10-15-2014 at 02:55 AM.
    On Sabbatical

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-06-2019 at 04:37 PM.

if your 1500 sierra isn't cutting it... I don't think a "heavier duty" truck would necessarilly be a better truck for your use case.

You're probably going to end up rattling your fillings out with a solid front axel and stiffer rear springs, and the added weight can get you into worse predicaments.

People may argue this point, but I don't think a Solid Front Axel 3/4 or 1 ton will be any more "stable" on icy roads in the winter neither.

People say its physics, due to weight and the added length, but I think its marginal, and I think if "unloaded" a heavier duty front end will risk more stability issues if you encounter icy unpredicable road conditions.

I will have to upvote the "Raptor". I've talked to some people who own them for actual utility (not as a Toy or fake trophy truck) and probably "stock" is the best riding truck for off-road and on-road purposes.

The offroad tuned fox suspension articulate and is very comfortable, and has all the travel you'd need, while preserving ride and probably from rattling the heck out of your drivetrain.

Outside of "oil consumption" reported issues with the 5.3 vortec, why would you look for another truck? You could look at a modest and softer suspension kit, and as long as you look after your half ton, it should last for quite a while? I'd think a 4" BDS would be a good start.

but if you want a new truck with warranty that can take it... tough to beat the capability of the Raptor

As to "diesels" I think people have mentioned here that diesels like to be "used". IF you're not going to be towing 10,000+ or payload greater than 2000lbs routinely, and will be up in the great white north, stick to a gasser.

Another truck for "thought" for me, would be also the Ram Power Wagon, even though its a 2500. But w/ the 6.4 and offroad COIL suspension, it could offer you very comparable advantages that the Raptor does, but with "more" capability for about the same $$$$.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 10-15-2014 at 08:20 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

At my last company, my field construction foreman drove a raptor, and he loved it for the reasons mentioned. He spent about six hours a day on gravel too, and he worked right through breakup every year. Soft suspension eats up the washboard. Can't get four full doors with the 6.5' box though. maybe mount some rocket launchers on there. Would look badass.

I know lots of guys who love the diesels, but to me, it doesn't make any sense to buy stiffer suspension and a heavier truck when you aren't carrying much payload.

If you really need the Crew cab and 6.5' box, There are many versions of that availible in the F150. You should be able to get decent discounts on the 2014's now too. I'm a big fan of the EcoBoost, but the 5.0L is a great engine as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

I picked the Dodge diesel for my oilfield truck because they give deep discounts on new Rams, and the used values on Cummins trucks are absurdly high. I don't care as much about longevity as I can drive a fully loaded 4x4 crewcab diesel truck for $55k and sell two years later for $45k+ and just get another one. I think the Laramie interior is one of the best on the market right now and the 4 corner coils on the 2500 ride pretty decent too.

Edit: The operating costs are a bit higher than a 1500 gasser, so be prepared for that. $250 oil changes @ 10-15k, $300 fuel filter replacements @ 20-30k etc. and the OEM tires on mine are about done at 32k and I expect a ~$2k bill for new ones.
    Last edited by carson blocks; 10-15-2014 at 09:10 AM.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Are you sure you're not just driving the fuck out of things? I've had an 04 Chevy 1500, 05 Dodge 2500, 05(?) GMC 2500, 08 Ford F250, 08 Ford F350, 08 GMC 2500, 11 Dodge 2500, and a 13 Chevy 2500. I've had them all on some shit ass roads and none of them have fallen apart. My trucks usually come back looking a lot better than some of the other trucks in the fleet because I try to take care of them.

Having said that, a Raptor is built to take more than any of the other trucks and would probably be a good choice.

Ford, Dodge and Chevy are all the best. And the worst. Just pick one you like and don't beat the shit out of it.

Edit: My 04 1500 wouldn't have made it to the end of the lease because I was driving it like a grade A fuckhead, but if I eased off some it would have been fine too.
    Last edited by SKR; 10-15-2014 at 09:45 AM.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    '11 Tundra TRD

In my opinion, font buy a raptor. If you want the performance of one just buy an f150 and put a camburg racing kit on it all around and it will beat the piss out of a raptor at way under the over inflated cost of one. Unless you just want it for the status symbol.

Raptor suspension parts are very costly when replaced.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

What about an ecodiesel ram? The coil springs are supposed to ride like a beaut, the 30usmp highway is nice, and it makes lots of low end torque.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I'm with SKR, I'm not sure how that truck isn't cutting it. Some of the old pieces of shit I've seen out on leases are impressive to say the least. A Raptor will be pretty terrible on gas if you're not getting reimbursed. They're awesome trucks but I dunno, I just don't see the need.

F150 ecoboosts are pretty common I'm finding, a buddy of mine drives it out for work and loves it. Not sure what the big deal is either about having a diesel out on the rigs. Unless you're stealing diesel off the rig

What kind of trucks do Weatherford/Halliburton use typically? Obviously it must work for them
    Ultracrepidarian

My weatherford truck was a Chevy silverado 2500HD.

Originally posted by Adrenaline101
    In my opinion, font buy a raptor. If you want the performance of one just buy an f150 and put a camburg racing kit on it all around and it will beat the piss out of a raptor at way under the over inflated cost of one. Unless you just want it for the status symbol.
    warranty & the frame is more reinforced, comes with a front torsen and locker.

control arms, CV joints and axels are wider as well

you're right... a basic F150 w/ a good BDS suspension will likely be more than good enough, but Warranty is "nice"

You can look at woodridge ford, as they'll lift w/ BDS
    you can get into a 2014 FX4 ecoscrew 6.5 with a BDS lift and lease it for very very competitive prices & they'll warranty the lift work.

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

The craptor would have much better resale than the modded F150 as well. That fuel mileage though..

My Ride
    G37X

I know we had a pipe fitter who drove a 90's ranger regularly to fort mac & back to calgary. He didn't seem to have a problem. Can't stand those trucks personally, but it worked great for him. Probably depends on the lease roads though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast