Quantcast
Shopping for an oilfield truck - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Shopping for an oilfield truck

Originally posted by carson blocks
    The craptor would have much better resale than the modded F150 as well. That fuel mileage though..
    not necessarily true.

take a new F150.. add a 6" lift, black rims, and new 35 tires and you'll easily get that back and then some

also same can be said about running any truck on 35 inch tire... but yes the raptor has 4.10 rear end(which is probably a good thing churning those tires) and the big 6.2

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    What about an ecodiesel ram? The coil springs are supposed to ride like a beaut, the 30usmp highway is nice, and it makes lots of low end torque.
    New engines scare the shit out of me - I don't like being a guinea pig - but who knows, they could be close to flawless.

The Raptor isn't a bad choice, but I've gotten by with my 2010 F150 with Terra Grapplers on it. Trading it in this weekend (170,000km) for a Chevy 1500 LTZ w/2LZ crew with 3.42 rear axel ratio, going to lift it 4" with a BDS suspension lift, throw some bushwacker flares on, and 33" tires - I don't even work in the field anymore . I have a 6.5' box on my F150 Supercrew Lariat (I used to haul ATVs) and it turns like a fucking school bus - just brutal. Been told Chevs have a way better turning radius and I'm going with a short box on this truck. Not sure what the Raptor is like or if you care.

Not sure what you like, but the Silverado with a 6.2 L in it has more hp and torque than the Raptor http://blog.caranddriver.com/power-u...verado-sierra/

That said, there's more than torque and power - interior, suspensions, and tires can make or break a ride.

I'd go test drive your options and make a decision. On top of that, you could mod your truck yourself to make it more comfortable/smooth.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by Env-Consultant; 10-15-2014 at 07:15 PM.

Double post

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

i will attest to a raptor purchase, mine was in the shop more than the road, and it was suspension failing and cracking. I would not buy another one ever, it was nice, but it was a piece of shit. and forget about hauling anything in it, suspension is too soft for anything of weight to go in it, ie. half yard of gravel and mud flaps were dragging on the ground

Originally posted by theken
    i will attest to a raptor purchase, mine was in the shop more than the road, and it was suspension failing and cracking. I would not buy another one ever, it was nice, but it was a piece of shit. and forget about hauling anything in it, suspension is too soft for anything of weight to go in it, ie. half yard of gravel and mud flaps were dragging on the ground
    what year?

I mean all that frame damage stuff, appears to be due to people using the raptor like a Baja pre-runner

its still a street legal truck with more "off-road" competencies

"IF" I didn't have any load requirements, I don't think you could do much better offroad than with a Wrangler Rubi or especially a G wagon

but for a "truck" I'd still look at a half ton w/ a Lift, Raptor, or move up to a Power Wagon

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

2010, i never bent the frame, and I offroaded one time, and that was after my control arm was replaced. twice. cracked, from highway driving apparently

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

This is turning out to be a pretty good thread to read through.

All opinions considered on the Raptor. As someone mentioned he was driving his 1500 like a Grade A fuckhead--I am still pretty young, I would likely fall into that category as well.

My philosophy behind picking a truck is I'm going to use it a lot and I want it to be fun. This isn't economy box shopping, its getting high value.

I've never lifted a truck before, but I was under the impression those lift kits served no functional purpose. So why was this even mentioned?

And how come the Dodge Power Wagon has only been mentioned twice in the thread? Why is Raptor taking all spotlight?

After digesting all that I've read. I am starting to lean towards an F-150 or other half ton, don't care AS much about fuel type or mileage, and just doing a suspension upgrade if good suspension doesn't come stock. But cannot compromise on the 6ft box and crew cab.
    Last edited by themack89; 10-15-2014 at 11:27 PM.
    On Sabbatical

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The power wagon is a great truck, and if you wanted a more payload, it beats the raptor hands down. Really, they aren't competing for the same niche.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I used to have this chat with rig hands pretty often, and the best rig rocket is one that you can afford, and that you'll take care of.
    Guys convince themselves that they "need" all sorts of ridiculous shit, then they spend tens of thousands of dollars modifying trucks to make them less reliable, less safe, and worse fuel economy. If that's your hobby, go nuts, but don't think you're making a smart choice.
    One of my welsite supervisors used to drive to the rig in one of these:
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Fucking thing was damned close to a hundred thousand dollar truck

A stock base model pickup with decent AT tires will be fine, anything beyond that is for the fun factor.
    150/250/350 really comes down to how much you haul.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-07-2019 at 01:29 PM.

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    The power wagon is a great truck, and if you wanted a more payload, it beats the raptor hands down. Really, they aren't competing for the same niche.
    I read up on it on Wikipedia. I dunno to me it seems like they are competing for the same niche with the off-road marketing and heavy duty upgrades.

Still not ruling it out though, but I looked on Kijiji and they seem extremely scare. There are only 2x 2013's which are above price range and the rest are meh.

This one caught my eye though:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/r...ationFlag=true

@ Sugar.. What brand or kit did you get for your Hummer? Share more details if you got them.
    On Sabbatical

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Hatchback A4 allroad, fold down the seats and your tools should fit nicely!

edit: i forgot + Mud tires

click for larger version
    Last edited by killramos; 10-16-2014 at 08:23 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by killramos

click for larger version
    Haha..that would probably work actually. Can't you raise those allroads up to transverse rough terrain? Air suspension I believe. Step dad off roads his 11 forester on some rough trail in the oakanagan. He also used to off road his honda accord. Up until he broke his exhaust system off a rock lol. The looks you get from guys on quads..priceless.

After driving around with him, I've realized pretty much anything can be off roaded as long as your smart about it and know where the lowest point of your chassis is!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I used to off-road a pontiac sunfire into some pretty gnarly places.
    Taking your time and placing your wheels carefully takes care of it.
    Dented the oil pan on a rock, that could have ended badly . . . .

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-07-2019 at 01:29 PM.

My Ride
    2009 F150 Lariat supercrew

personally id go with a chev 2500 or 3500HD ltz or sLT.... or hell even a dodge 2500-3500..... but if you really have no need for the diesel id seriously consider a 5.0l FX4 F150 or an LTZ silverado 1500.... apparently great fuel range on the highway....
    2009 Ford f150 Lariat crewcab-mine
    2003 chevy venture-wifes
    1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee-31's,2inch lift,cb 362,000kms and running great!

1996 Pontiac Grand Am GT- 18's, Body Kit, system SOLD
    2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac-Family Hauler SOLD
    1996 Volvo 850 turbo-SOLD

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

A lift kit usually comes with stronger front end parts. But then you put bigger tires on, and it's harder on the other parts that weren't upgraded.* I don't agree that anything over 6" is unnecessary because it depends on the truck; even with 7" my truck only clears 35" tires. I don't think you'll run into any situations where you'd need more than a 35" tire, but if you can stay out of the mud and rocks and rig mats and whatever else, you'll be a lot better off.

I'd like to have something like this, except it's only 2 wheel drive. I've gotten better about not driving into bad places, but I don't think I could get by without 4 wheel drive. Maybe someone makes a long travel lift for 4wds.

click for larger version

* Edit: My lift has stronger tie rods, for example. So it's better in that way. But I expect it to go through things like ball joints much faster now.
    Last edited by SKR; 10-16-2014 at 09:35 PM.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 07:55 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

You really should just talk to the guys on your rig and just watch what everyone else drives. You're getting a lot of advice from guys who have never actually driven these roads and have never seen the damage they cause. It isn't the odd run to Maclean Creek, it's thousand of kms of rutted, fucked up roads that aren't maintained and covered in deer/moose.

There's a reason why directional companies buy 3/4 ton trucks for all staff hands, suspension and hitting animals. Have fun hitting a moose in a forester or allroad.

Originally posted by killramos

click for larger version
    I definitely would not recommend this. Unless you love the smell of invert in your vehicle and want to inhale that shit all the time.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

Dodge 1500 has diesel now I think...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast