Quantcast
3/4 Ton On/Off Road tire recommendation - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 3/4 Ton On/Off Road tire recommendation

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Default 3/4 Ton On/Off Road tire recommendation

After only 32k on the OEM Firestone Transforce tires, it's time for new rubber on my '14 Ram 2500 Crewcab 4x4 Diesel. Stock tire size is LT275/70R18. I've had recommendations from shops for the Cooper AT3, Michelin LTX, and Goodyear Duratrac. I drive 90%+ on the highway, either commuting between Calgary or running between Calgary and various northern destinations, but spend a fair bit of time running around gravel and snowy lease roads once I'm up north.

My priorities are:

1. Reliability. First and foremost, I want something tough enough I can run gravel and lease roads and not have to worry about flats, sidewall damage, etc. There is very little I hate more than getting a flat tire. I also count reliability as not chunking off on the highway, or getting hot on extended higher speed highway runs and failing. I've been hearing 10ply tires are good for heavy diesel trucks like mine.

2. Highway traction. I want something good on snowy, icy highways as 90% of my driving is highway. Everyone tells me to avoid dedicated winter tires as I'll either burn them off on 10hr highway runs or chew the shit out of them in the gravel.

3. Off-highway traction. My lease roads are generally well maintained, but I'd like something that is a little grippier and more confidence insipring than the OEM tires, and which might actually let me drive out of the snowy ditch should I end up there.

4. Highway manners. I don't want a true mud tire that will sing loudly at any speed, wander, lose chunks of rubber, or get hot and fail on extended highway runs.

5. Durability. I don't expect miracles here, but I want something a little better than the 32k I've got out of the OEM Firestone Transforce which have 30-40% tread left, but are starting to crack after only 10 months, possibly due to all the gravel roads I ran this year.

Cost isn't a primary concern as an incident due even partially to bad rubber will cost more than a good set of tires. Fuel economy isn't a primary concern either, as long as it's not ridiculous. I would sacrifice .5L/100km to run an awesome tire. An aggressive looking tire would be nice, but the actual characteristics of the tire are more important. Sorry for the essay, but I think that's all the relevant info one would need to make a recommendation.
    Last edited by carson blocks; 10-15-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-07-2019 at 01:30 PM.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I'm up to 80,000km on my current set of Duratracs. Probably have another 10,000km in them. Most of my miles have been in southern Saskatchewan though, not on the gravel in northwest Alberta and northeast BC. That will drop the mileage on them quite a bit. I'm going to get another set for the winter, probably studded. They've lasted me a long time. I've only had one slow leak. They're not as good in mud and snow as a mud tire, but they're pretty good for an all terrain. They make some noise but that's why trucks come with a radio.

A real all terrain would be better for just about everything, but any gravel will just tear them to shit.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I'm happy with my Geolander AT-S. They are as grippy as most AT's out there, but still have a very comfortable ride for the highway. They've stood up to a few offroading trips which included climbing rock shelfs - even while other people in my group had punctures.

The main issue with the AT-S is that they are not likely to be great in mud. But to me, the superior snow performance and quiet ride is worth it, and I don't tend to do a lot of bogging.

My Ride
    2016 Civic / 2016 KTM 1290 SuperDuke GT

Duratrac's 100%. We use them on all our trucks. I spend all my time driving between Calgary and every damn oil site there is LOL. They are everything everyone says they are.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

My diesel came with Duratracs and I couldn't stand them (mainly the ride and noise)...so glad they're off. Only plus was they do wear slowly.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Im going to second Toyo Open Country - we used them on our land survey trucks in the bush - winter and summer. When I went to work for Enmax they cheaped out on our (4 trucks) tires and got some AT shit that we promptly started getting stuck with in all the time.

Duratracs are great offroad tires... a step down from MT/R for pure mud performance but a step up in all other directions, especially for being on-road.

Durability and ice traction however I think could be had with a more conventional AT tire, specifically a more winter one like a Rotiva

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Originally posted by never
    My diesel came with Duratracs and I couldn't stand them (mainly the ... noise) ...