Quantcast
Nexus 9 - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Nexus 9

I got a 37MB Lollipop update yesterday on the N9, can't find any info on the web about such update other than that some people also got it. Anyone know what it did?
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-21-2014 at 12:14 PM.

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

Just read your review and I second pretty much everything. Double tap is the biggest win here. I find myself reaching for the power button often and chuckle to myself every time.

I'm not entirely sold on the size tho. The N7 was sooooo easy to hold in one hand where as this is a bit clunky.

I'm also happy with the wifi ac speeds.

Originally posted by little_wan
    Really liking mine too. Took a bit to get use to a smaller screen cause I'm coming from a nexus 10, but it's definitely grown on me. My comixology app is buggy, but the developers are aware and will hopefully update it soon. Virtually none of the build quality issues the reviews keep mentioning. I have next to no light bleed, good solid construction, and the os has been very very smooth. I'm hoping this will keep me content for another few years, but the Nokia n1 that was just revealed looks pretty interesting...
    Have most of you had a similar positive experience? I was really looking forward to picking one up, but have been put off by some of the negative reviews I have read re: build quality.

Some of these reviews had made me lean towards the Nvidia Sheild Tablet. I know there are build quality issues with this one as well, but is cheaper and has MicroSD.

Originally posted by djdragan

Have most of you had a similar positive experience? I was really looking forward to picking one up, but have been put off by some of the negative reviews I have read re: build quality.

Some of these reviews had made me lean towards the Nvidia Sheild Tablet. I know there are build quality issues with this one as well, but is cheaper and has MicroSD.
    You can ignore the Verge's review, their Apple bias is hilarious and well documented, to the point where there are meme's about it haha. Read the comments after the review as well if you want a laugh. Gizmodo isn't much better. I don't think they had retail copies of the device either. There are several rave reviews of the tablets out as well, I think Cnet was one of them, but I don't remember exactly.

There are zero build quality issues. The air pocket in the back is not on production models - mine certainly doesn't have it. Build quality is outstanding, and I have gone over every inch of this thing. It weighs as much as an iPad, zero gaps or production residue anywhere, and completely rock solid. Nothing about it feels cheap IMO.

Soon, I will also be receiving an extra case for the N9 that I will sell for cost (I'll eat the shipping). It was taking too long so I overnighted a different one, and won't be needing two.

Thanks Mitsu, the Verge and Gizmodo reviews were two I read that put me off the N9, I have also been reading some of the threads on XDA re lightbleed.

I did go to bestbuy to try and have a look at a demo, but they did not have any out. Maybe I will try another location to get a hands on look.
    Last edited by djdragan; 11-26-2014 at 04:59 PM.

Thanks Mitsu, the Verge and Gizmodo reviews were two I read that put me off the N9, I have also been reading some of the thrads on XDA re lightbleed.

I did go to bestbuy to try and have a look at a demo, but they did not have any out. Maybe I will try another location to get a hands on look.
    Mine has no noticeable lightbleed during use, and it's incredibly minimal with a black screen - you need to be looking for it, tilting the tablet, etc. with the brightness jacked in a dark room. Every single LCD device I have ever seen (phone, computer monitor, tablet, iPad, whatever) will not have an absolutely flawless screen when displaying dark images in a dark environment due to the way they are lit. It's also going to vary slightly from device to device. Bottom line is it isn't generally an issue for anyone unless they are viewing very dark images with the backlight turned way up, and if you are, well every device is going to have some light bleed to varying degrees. You should see my work monitors , I don't notice it 99.9% of the time but when they go black to shut down, wow.

My Ride
    Hybrid

No build quality issues on mine either.

I will say though, that "nothing about it feels cheap" ... until you go back and forth between the Nexus 9 and an iPad.

I don't know what it is, maybe the weight distribution, the thinness, or the rounded edges - but I was in total disbelief that the iPad Air 2 is heavier than the Nexus (I even brought out a scale to verify). The iPad feels much lighter, and despite being an inch bigger felt much easier to hold in one hand. The rubberized back on the Nexus also feels cheap, but it'll probably wear better in the long run.

The only other huge difference was the camera. Opening the camera, focusing, and shooting was instantaneous on the iPad - it's still horrible on the Nexus. There's times where I felt like I could count to 10 in the span between screen on and captured image. However, I'm definitely in the "I wish I could buy a tablet without a camera" camp so that doesn't really matter to me.

In the end, I still prefer Android and kept the Nexus because of the OS.

oh... and the front facing speakers on the Nexus are terrific - found that out when I was watching gymkhana 7 on it
    Last edited by Strider; 11-26-2014 at 05:45 PM.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 01:12 AM.

Would anyone like a Nexus 9 Case? I have two now and I don't need them both. You can have it for free. The exact link doesn't seem to be on Amazon anymore but it's very similar to this one, and it's a smart wake/sleep case:

http://www.amazon.ca/Google-Nexus-Ca...s=nexus+9+case

Shoot me a PM if you want it, pickup downtown or in the core during work hours.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-23-2015 at 02:34 PM.

I still have a spare N9 case someone can have for free. If anyone will use it, shoot me a PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4