Quantcast
Winter truck preparations? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Winter truck preparations?

Default Winter truck preparations?

I'm looking to use my truck for some backcountry skiing excursions this year and want to make sure that when I head out, that if I make it back to the truck I will be able to get home.

I had an old SUV that I had running 33's which I was able to get around in, even the deepest snow and now that I'm running a F150 I want to make sure I can do the same.

as I have a electric locker, I'm already ahead, but this is what I'm thinking:

leveling kit and slightly taller (yet no wider) A/T tires.
    I'm thinking the height will give me both clearance and reduce torque a bit.

Tires I'm looking at are the General Tires A/T 2 w/ studs

normally I'd go unstudded but with a light rear end, I don't mind.

Was thinking of getting a shurtrax bed bladder to add that extra weight to the rear end.

I already have some recovery points on the car, and will look into getting an anvil style winch mount bumper w/ a warn later down the road (not a cheap investment)

I have a pretty heavy duty 12,000 rear hitch tow hook, if I need to or need to be extracted.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

Sounds like you have a good start, the AT2's are great I have them on my wifes jeep. I would recommend a winch sooner than later, after that you just need to make sure you have lots of survival/recovery gear.

-Extra warm clothes
    -Food
    -Water
    -axe(chainsaw is better)
    -shovels
    -Hi-lift with recovery kit (so you can hand winch youself backwords if need be)
    -Hi-lift lift mate
    -Hi-lift base
    -Satellite phone is always a good idea when by yourself in backcountry
    -Full size spare
    -Spare fluids
    -Cold weather sleeping bag
    -Spare parts
    -JB weld
    -Good ratchet straps (I've seen straps hold axles to leaf springs on the highway)
    -Few pieces of scrap wood (Can help support broken tie rods or other parts that snap)

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-06-2019 at 02:22 PM.

when it comes down to first aid emergency gear, typically what I carry for backcountry trips would cover everything + (i.e. bivi sac, plenty of camp fuel, fire starters, etc..)

I already have a full size spare, so that shouldn't be an issue and from an extraction perspective, I'd like to go out with a comparable vehicle to ensure that someone is getting out.

that being said, even when I had a front mounted winch, having a winch on the hitch reciever always seemed to work better, as its always better to extract yourself from where you came, than getting yourself further stuck.

when it comes to tires, these are what I'm thinking (without going to a full winter or breaking the bank)

from looking at my sizing, the specs and tread pattern for these 3 seem very simular and are not studdable:

looks to be more Winter oriented:
    Hercules terra track AT/2 - online from PMC tire (great price)
    Wild country XTX Sport - available from Kal tire, good price as well
    Hankook Dynapro AT-m - available at Canadian Tire
    Nokian Rotiva AT - also available from Kal Tire (expensive)

More of an A/T
    BFG A/T anywhere
    General Grabber AT2 anywhere
    Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac - Fountain tire
    Kumho ROAD VENTURE AT KL78 (ok tire)

of the bunch I think they'd all do well, with likely the the Winter oriented tread patterns being the best... (its crazy how they are almost the same tread pattern)

Where as the ones below are a bit "luggier" and I think would yield better in deep snow, but would lack traction on ice unless studded (only the General Grabber AT/2 & Duratrac)

as of this point, I'd almost favor value with either the Wild Country and Hercules, but still am leaning torwards paying a premium for the AT/2 for studdability.

thoughts?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you are looking at anything goodyear, Fountain Tire will be running the 4-for-3 sale as always in the fall. I think October usually?
    Don't overlook the Wrangler Adventure with kevlar, it's the replacement for the SilentArmor tires, which I always found great in moderate snow, and pretty good on ice.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    If you are looking at anything goodyear, Fountain Tire will be running the 4-for-3 sale as always in the fall. I think October usually?
    Don't overlook the Wrangler Adventure with kevlar, it's the replacement for the SilentArmor tires, which I always found great in moderate snow, and pretty good on ice.
    I used to like the AT/S way back in tha day and even ran MT/R(s) siped, but I find goodyear to not really have a good compromise tire and fell behind the BFG A/T when it came out.

This Duratrac I've heard good and bad things, and that its more in tune to a M/T than an AT

that being said, a full Winter tire, such as the ultra ice grip would be very good on-road in the winter.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by r3ccOs

This Duratrac I've heard good and bad things, and that its more in tune to a M/T than an AT
    It's not more of an MT, plus it has the mountain/snowflake on it for winter.

For winter driving it's better than the BFG AT and the Grabber (which is just a BFG clone)
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I have a 65l rubbermaid tote in the back of the truck.

Inside:
    Traction pads
    pea gravel
    fire extinguisher
    multiples of different sized clevises
    2 different types of recovery straps
    A badass pair of winter boots (thanks tomco)
    a few of the more common / used tools
    and a couple of transferable recovery points for vehicles with a 2" receiver

Of course, I am also running studded winterforce tires.

all this put together has never let me down, and I have yanked a lot of people out of the ditch and the like.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

so I picked up some studded duratrec goodyears (just slightly taller) which should do me pretty good in the winter.

It has WAY less sipes than the SR-As, but knowing how terrible the SR-As are, I'm sure w/ the Studs i'm in better shape, and especially the big lugs in the deep snow if I'm off A/Ting for a weekend

Now, when it comes down to making the rear end heavier... whats the best option? I was thinking of that shure trac water bladder from CT, but isn't 500lbs a little bit of an overkill?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Keep in mind, it's not just about making the rear end heavier, if that weight is too far back, your truck will be unstable in turns. If I was adding weight to my truck, which I never do, it's be just ahead of the rear axle.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Keep in mind, it's not just about making the rear end heavier, if that weight is too far back, your truck will be unstable in turns. If I was adding weight to my truck, which I never do, it's be just ahead of the rear axle.
    QFT. I have never bothered with extra weight in mine either unless it is 2wd only. Trucks these days have great traction control, coupled with 4x4 and studded winters, they are tanks.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by spikerS

QFT. I have never bothered with extra weight in mine either unless it is 2wd only. Trucks these days have great traction control, coupled with 4x4 and studded winters, they are tanks.
    okay then

Spikers

looking at this reference: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...F-150_V1.0.pdf

our weight distribution of a Shortbox Max Tow 7650 Ecoscrew is:
    front 3184
    rear 2441
    total 5625

making it a 62/43 weight bias which isn't bad.

I'm assuming this is dry, so if you factor in a full 136 liter tank, which is 300lbs, brings the rear end up a few % better, but I reckon that adding 300lbs to the rear end should give it a better "even" balance, especially on a full tank.

I am still thinking that I'll buy the shurtrax from Canadian Tire... but it would be nice to do a test with condtions of using weight vs none

other option would be to air down?
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 09-03-2014 at 08:41 AM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by r3ccOs

okay then

Spikers

looking at this reference: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...F-150_V1.0.pdf

our weight distribution of a Shortbox Max Tow 7650 Ecoscrew is:
    front 3184
    rear 2441
    total 5625

making it a 62/43 weight bias which isn't bad.

I'm assuming this is dry, so if you factor in a full 136 liter tank, which is 300lbs, brings the rear end up a few % better, but I reckon that adding 300lbs to the rear end should give it a better "even" balance, especially on a full tank.

I am still thinking that I'll buy the shurtrax from Canadian Tire... but it would be nice to do a test with condtions of using weight vs none

other option would be to air down?
    Honestly, you are over thinking this and over complicating it.

I have taken the truck out on the stock all seasons, in 3 feet of fresh snow, yanking vehicles out of the ditch along the way.

I only finally got studded winters because after 2 winters on my all seasons, I tried to accelerate up stoney trail, and if I tried to speed up, the tires spun on the ice. I bet if I switched into 4x4, it would not have been an issue.

Seriously, just get a couple of traction rails for the back country if needed, otherwise, just carry a tow strap and with winter tires, it will always be you yanking everyone out.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

^ This. Get winter tires and you'll be fine. Carry an emergency kit in case you ditch it and a tow strap.

Originally posted by spikerS

Honestly, you are over thinking this and over complicating it.

I have taken the truck out on the stock all seasons, in 3 feet of fresh snow, yanking vehicles out of the ditch along the way.

I only finally got studded winters because after 2 winters on my all seasons, I tried to accelerate up stoney trail, and if I tried to speed up, the tires spun on the ice. I bet if I switched into 4x4, it would not have been an issue.

Seriously, just get a couple of traction rails for the back country if needed, otherwise, just carry a tow strap and with winter tires, it will always be you yanking everyone out.
    lol okay

with Studds I should be pretty good and yes there is always that 4x4 button and the pretty light that comes on that makes me happy

My Ride
    1985/1986/1988 4runner

If you're airing down consider also buying a decent off road style compressor (by that I mean higher CFM) or a CO2 tank setup to air back up once on the highway. The CO2 setup will be more expensive but air up times will be a fraction of those of a compressor (ie under a minute vs 4.5 minutes for my tires)
    Last edited by 4runneron36s; 09-09-2014 at 08:57 AM.

hrm... drove @ 5:40 AM this morning to work... found that deerfoot were filled with overlly agressive lifted 2500 drivers and apprehensive ones.

I can't stand the white knucklers, but HATE even more the tail gating Rig pig in his jacked up truck running 37' mud tires thinking he's invincible

I was moving at a good trek (110k in the center lane), and a couple idiots heading to what I would image is Site, were inches from my bumper, where I could not even see their headlights.

anyways, I haven't mounted the Duratracs on yet, and I can tell you that in just RWD w/ the Ecoboost... my ass end was everywhere. That advance track was kicking in an out, and I had to throw it into 4WD...

Kinda surprised really considering that the roads didnt' seem that slick...

I know the tires are crap, but I'm still thinking even with the new tires some weight in the back is still necessary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast