Quantcast
Milano Red 1 stage vs 3 stage - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Milano Red 1 stage vs 3 stage

My Ride
    2002 RSX

Default Milano Red 1 stage vs 3 stage

Hey guys I have a Milano Red RSX that needs some repairs to the body, which may or may not require a paint job depending on which option I take. If I do the paint job I'll most likely repaint the entire body since there's lots of rock chips, scratches, fades, etc.

I know Milano Red is usually a 3-stage paint, but Dupont and PPG make it in a single stage paint. Has anyone ever tried the single stage? Does it look any different compared to a 3-stage? Are there any drawbacks (Chips/fades easier, etc.)? And how much more (or less) would it cost me ?

Thanks

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

Well its not one stage, its still base clear. I know PPG has chips of the two stage versions. If it matches then its the way to go, there's no other drawbacks to avoiding the tri stage version.

If you actually mean a single stage paint that you don't clear coat, it will fade chip and the match will be way off. Get the base clear version in the two coat process, it will be cheaper and work just as well as the tri stage, mind you its a tough color to get a good match with regardless because that solid red fades so quickly so you will have to do a large blend to hide the old faded color.

My Ride
    Bang Bus

Single stage is base and clear mix together which is good if you have good spraying technique and experience. You can blend single stage if your confident enough. Tri-stage will be more difficult to but match but it can be done. If I were you go single stage on the whole car

My Ride
    Bang Bus

Btw single stage is the cheaper option but less protection on the body due to less coats (3-4 coats). Tri-stage is the most expensive. Spray a ground coat 3-4 and top coat 3-5 and clear 3 coats

My Ride
    2002 RSX

I'd be painting the whole car at a shop so I don't have to worry about color matching or my own lack of expertise. From what I understand the single stage paint blends the base and clear coat all into one, I'm just wondering how the color and durability of the paint will compare to the oem 3 stage paint.

My Ride
    Bang Bus

Single stage color will oxidize faster and durability is thin compared to tri-stage paint

My Ride
    Bang Bus

Single stage for a cheap paint job or go all in with a tri-stage paint job which is double or triple the price for paint

My Ride
    Bang Bus

Fyi average tri stage paint complete on a car starts at $4000 unless you got a good painter buddy
    Last edited by lee88; 10-21-2014 at 03:44 PM.

My Ride
    2002 RSX

Alright thanks a bunch for the info

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

No no, don't go tri stage regardless and don't go single stage. Let me break this down

From the factory they did this

"tri stage"
    white basecoat
    red basecoat
    clear coat

Then a few paint suppliers matched the color without the white base to save time so

"base clear (two stage)
    red basecoat
    clear coat over top

This is the best way to go regardless.

The more coats you add does not make the product better or stronger, It actually will do the opposite. Single stage product requires lots of coats because it is cheap and transparent so it takes a lot to cover. Base clear is the best match best strength an durability, all the high end paints are base clear. I have been selling and dealing with PPG paint for over ten years, if you have questions or need to buy any product I can help you out.

My Ride
    Has AWD

.......does the RSX really mean that much to you? Pretty sure I know which car you've got, it was a Milano Red with major paint fade. How long do you plan on keeping the vehicle? A few decent type-s's on kijiji right now, probably cheeper to sell yours and buy another rsx than pay for painting.

My Ride
    2002 RSX

Originally posted by MGCM
    .......does the RSX really mean that much to you? Pretty sure I know which car you've got, it was a Milano Red with major paint fade. How long do you plan on keeping the vehicle? A few decent type-s's on kijiji right now, probably cheeper to sell yours and buy another rsx than pay for painting.
    I don't think it was mine that you saw. I'm considering the full paint job because my front bumper and driver side fender need to be replaced, so if I decide to buy new parts rather than used I'll have to get them painted, and MR is next to impossible to color match.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by wesleyl

I don't think it was mine that you saw. I'm considering the full paint job because my front bumper and driver side fender need to be replaced, so if I decide to buy new parts rather than used I'll have to get them painted, and MR is next to impossible to color match.
    Try finding used parts in the same color, will look half decent and alot cheaper than painting.