Quantcast
Air testing at home - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Air testing at home

Default Air testing at home

Has anyone ever had the air quality tested at their home? My girl wants to test ours and I have no idea if these guys are even legit. I called a couple and they varied from $750-$1000 but the crazy thing was they were willing to come out within 2 hours. I don't know if this is the norm but typically if someone can fit you in that fast isnt that a bad sign?

If anyone can recommend someone that would be greatly appreciated!!!

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

Whats the basis on having the air quality tested? have you had problems with mold, etc?

I'll have to look up the company my parents used when we had to have a house inspected. An environmental scientist/engineer came out and did all the testing.

Edit: They used JAD Environmental. http://www.jadenvironmental.ca/about_us.html

I would say the service they provide is legitimate, considering our need for it involved Alberta Health Services and a condemned property scenario.
    Last edited by Joe-G; 10-22-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Photo by: Kevin Chow

Were growing weed in the basement and my wife thinks its hazardous to her health so she just wants to make sure. j/k

our kids been getting sick but its since shes been back to school(i think its school related) and my wife just wants to make sure that our house does not have anything to do with it. We bought this house new so no grow ops for sure lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Call Ehsp ask for Brad 403-243-0700 and tell him Bob from ERA referred you...he will talk you through some things and then can determine what you need as far as testing goes and give you a price.
    I've been in the asbestos/ mould industry for over 20 years and there are many many sharks out there that will test the living shit out of your place for no reason and then charge accordingly.
    Last edited by englishbob; 10-22-2014 at 03:20 PM.

Originally posted by englishbob
    Call Ehsp ask for Brad 403-243-0700 and tell him Bob from ERA referred you...he will talk you through some things and then can determine what you need as far as testing goes and give you a price.
    I've been in the asbestos/ mould industry for over 20 years and there are many many sharks out there that will test the living shit out of your place for no reason and then charge accordingly.
    Thanks sooo much!!! gave him a call and he spent the time to tell me everything i needed to know.

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by englishbob
    Cool. Any reason to be bothered with Radon testing in this area?

My Ride
    Mazdaspeed 6/2003 P5/1970 Charger

Originally posted by Darell_n

I would like to know this as well.
    I aint no junky.... I just keep it funky

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Anywhere in Calgary should be tested for Radon levels if they spend much time in the basement. You might have a ton while the neighbour has none. Depends on cracks and the luck of the draw.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    Trucks

Are the home owner test kits reliable? I do have a finished basement and my newborn will spending lots of time down there when he's older.

My Ride

Are the home owner test kits reliable? I do have a finished basement and my newborn will spending lots of time down there when he's older.
    It's a puck you leave in the basement for 3 months then send it away to a proper lab. It's a few hundred bucks I believe. There is a plan to try and get it covered but it's not right now.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Wait, seriously, we have a radon problem here?
    I've been throwing away those flyers thinking it couldn't possibly affect us
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Originally posted by Zero102
    Wait, seriously, we have a radon problem here?
    I've been throwing away those flyers thinking it couldn't possibly affect us
    There is a sign out on highway 8 saying something about high radon levels I think, I was driving by it too fast to read it.

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

There's some test kits you can buy from home depot for water, mold and radon. I believe its about $15 bucks each.

edit... now that I read it on the website, you have to send it the lab and pay extra more to have it analyzed.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

I finally saw on posted on 17th and 69th the other day, could finally read it.
    I was wondering if this was worth looking into... guess Brad will be getting more calls now.

My neighbor has a crack in their foundation, I should probably let them know.

My Ride

18% of lung cancer patients never smoked. Radon exposure is the suspicion. Calgary has been surveyed but it was spotty - some places were bad then right next door is fine. And it was only like 50-60 houses. Radon is heavier than air and disperses quickly so it's really only a problem for people that live or spend a huge amount of time in a basement.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

OP in terms of air quality, testing is good idea but you should be aware of the proper humidity levels in the house as well as using proper (not cheap) furnace filters replaced frequently. On that note, I am thinking of going to a full electronic system but the issue with ozone might dissuade me.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

On the Eyeopener this morning the doctor was saying that the 2nd major cause of lung cancer in alberta was radon. Did any one get their radon tested and found that it was above the acceptable level? I see the fix for it is drilling a pipe to capture radon which then gets expelled out doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

Originally posted by Khyron

It's a puck you leave in the basement for 3 months then send it away to a proper lab. It's a few hundred bucks I believe. There is a plan to try and get it covered but it's not right now.
    not sure if what I'm using / testing now is similar, but it is like a small puck that I hang somewhere in my basement for about 90 days, then I send it back to a lab. It was around 50 dollars and supposedly includes the lab fees / report. We got ours from here http://www.radonwest.com/index.php

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Would poor indoor air quality cause chronic illnesses like asthma, sinusitis, nose and lung infections?

My Ride

Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
    Would poor indoor air quality cause chronic illnesses like asthma, sinusitis, nose and lung infections?
    More likely an allergy to an airborn particle like dust mites or dog or cat dander - especially if it's one person but not another.

I just ordered that Radon test kit as well.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast