Quantcast
Abandoned Social Media Properties - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Abandoned Social Media Properties

My Ride
    AECO

Default Abandoned Social Media Properties

These days I come across quite a few abandoned social media properties while researching on the internet. You know, the twitter feed or facebook page where there were a few posts back in 2012; maybe it even has a few followers, but there are no recent signs of life. I noticed somebody I know has one of these virtual ghost towns for his business, and I was wondering what other people think when they come across these...?

My thoughts from a business perspective say that it should just be shut down and traces removed as best as possible if nobody is interested in keeping it up - especially if the website is pointing there.

From a Consumer perspective; however, I suppose it's good information that the company was unable execute on its social media strategy, if it even had one. Moreover, that the company does not see or is not trying to see how social media might be able to increase visibility in the marketplace.

Many people I know are on social media on their phone all day. Do people here think social media is still important? I'm working on some of my own stuff right now as well so any social media discussion appreciated...

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

i try to avoid social media follow ups all together and just read news on websites instead, and have a block on social media comments, it dont like them because of the tracking cookies. so i use disconnect.me , an extension on google chrome.

if a company advertises follow as at socialmedia.site/ourcompany i dont . i go to the website

and many people are ashamed to even use social media as they dont want to be classified as the dumb users, the ones that post too much
    http://gawker.com/5636765/facebook-c...ers-dumb-fucks

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Social media can be hit or miss. If you do it right it can work out really well for you. However, a lot of businesses hit it half-assed (or half-baked, depending on who they are ) and never see any real results from it.

Personally, from 2007 - 2009 I made nearly $300k on Facebook. It can definitely work. That said, that was 5 years ago and the landscape is very different now.

I don't worry about social media for my business and instead focus on elements I can control. When it comes to marketing as a small business owner every dollar and minute counts, so putting my attention in areas that I have control over (Google AdWords, LinkedIn ads, etc.) I can better account for things and make decisions based on data I can predict.

Now, if you're already topping out those sources and are looking for a new traffic stream, OR if you're trying to connect with your userbase, social media is an excellent avenue to do so. It does require time and a strategy, however. You can't just wing it.

My Ride
    AECO

Originally posted by thetransporter
    . so i use disconnect.me , an extension on google chrome.
    Have you seen this?
    http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/the-da...l-information/

Anybody using Ghostery?