Quantcast
Jian Ghomeshi scandal - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Jian Ghomeshi scandal

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Wow
    Ultracrepidarian

I saw someone at Craft on Halloween dressed as the guy. Thought it was hilarious.

My Ride
    335i

Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Jian Ghomeshi drops $55m lawsuit

Oh yea, Arash

Ghomeshi is to pay $18,000 in legal costs incurred by the CBC. The process still needs to be formalized through a court order.
    Last edited by mr2mike; 11-25-2014 at 05:33 PM.

My Ride
    2010 S4

Originally posted by lasimmon
    I saw someone at Craft on Halloween dressed as the guy. Thought it was hilarious.

Haha this reminds me of seeing this brown guy from Quebec with curly hair meant to be dressed as Jules form Pulp Fiction. Problem was he had some glasses on that looked like something Neshi would wear. He got super offended when we said he had an awesome Nenshi costume. Poor bastard was on a pup crawl and I'm sure got called Nenshi a hundred time at each bar.

“Mr. Ghomeshi would not have shared information about his private life with the CBC had he appreciated the CBC would ultimately use the information provided to it to terminate his employment,”
    Part of life 101. Do not willingly give info that's not requested, unless that info legally absolves you. Ghomeshi fucked up on both counts.

55 million, WTF? If he won, why should you and I be responsible to pay that?

$18,000 for G to pay for legal fees? BS. The legal fees for the CBC (us taxpayers) to pursue this, would be way more than $18000.00.

Unless the defendant lawyer(s), just threw up their arms, and said, "We give up, you're fucking guilty, and we we're not doing this anymore".
    Last edited by Seth1968; 11-29-2014 at 11:43 AM.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by Seth1968

Part of life 101. Do not willingly give info that's not requested, unless that info legally absolves you. Ghomeshi fucked up on both counts.

55 million, WTF? If he won, why should you and I be responsible to pay that?

$18,000 for G to pay for legal fees? BS. The legal fees for the CBC (us taxpayers) to pursue this, would be way more than $1800.00.

Unless the defendant lawyer(s), just threw up their arms, and said, "We give up, you're fucking guilty, and we we're not doing this anymore".
    Dude you fucking high? $18k relates to legal fees incurred by the CBC up to date to defend against the lawsuit, which has been dropped as there was no legal basis for it, so there's really no "what-if" scenario of "if he had won".
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

To only get a bill for $18,000 from CBCs lawyer TEAM means they probably were just making photocopies, a few emails and printing out letterheads as they likely knew this was a moot case from the start.

Thought it'd be more like $180,000.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by revelations
    To only get a bill for $18,000 from CBCs lawyer TEAM means they probably were just making photocopies, a few emails and printing out letterheads as they likely knew this was a moot case from the start.

Thought it'd be more like $180,000.
    I think when it says you can't sue your employer for wrongful dismissal if you are part of a union makes it very black and white. So yeah $18k for the CBC execs to meet their lawyers at some high end steak house/strippers, $1 for lawyers to say they're safe, and the next $17k on 'disbursements'.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

And now he is being charged:

Former CBC host Jian Ghomeshi has been released on $100,000 bail after being charged with four counts of sexual assault and one count of “overcome resistance – choking.”
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle21788631/

Originally posted by clem24

I think when it says you can't sue your employer for wrongful dismissal if you are part of a union makes it very black and white. So yeah $18k for the CBC execs to meet their lawyers at some high end steak house/strippers, $1 for lawyers to say they're safe, and the next $17k on 'disbursements'.
    Simply because a particular private company say's something, does not mean it over rides Federal law.

Oh wait...billions to GM and that other car company, and banks at that.

Originally posted by clem24

Dude you fucking high? $18k relates to legal fees incurred by the CBC up to date to defend against the lawsuit, which has been dropped as there was no legal basis for it, so there's really no "what-if" scenario of "if he had won".
    I already proposed that.
    Last edited by Seth1968; 11-27-2014 at 11:56 AM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Tonight's episode of the fifth estate: The Unmaking of Jian Ghomeshi. No doubt there will be a bit of bias, but it'll be interesting to see what they have to say.

The Fifth Estate is one of my favourite shows.

Despite my suggestion of hate for government intervention, CBC's documentaries are brilliant.

My Ride
    Exploded.

The Fifth Estate is always great TV. Just felt weird watching the episode especially when they're interviewing essentially, their co-workers.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/201...-jian-ghomeshi

Default The Unmaking of Jian Ghomeshi on the Fifth Estate

Findlay owned them all.

The CBC HAD to do this.

I'll have to watch the CBC investigation. Billy Bob Thornton was so right, Jian was and is a total asshole (gets his ripped in prison daily 2016-2018). Get the CBC radio interview if you've not heard it before. Billy Bob redeemed himself on Fargo.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 02-15-2015 at 08:40 PM.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Link

During the first week of his trial, Jian Ghomeshi did not speak.
    This is what we now expect of the former CBC star. The man who pulled the levers of Canadian fame as a radio personality, a man known for his voice, pushed the mute button after abuse allegations exploded in the fall of 2014.
    He’s been mum ever since.
    But inside Courtroom 125 at Old City Hall, his silence is proving to be something else: a secret weapon.
    On Friday, defence attorney Marie Henein resumed her cross-examination of Lucy DeCoutere, picking up after a Thursday cliffhanger that sparked gasps and chortles from members of the public piled into the media overflow room.
    That’s the kind of trial this is: the overflow room is in dire need of an overflow room.
    Henein showed the court multiple emails DeCoutere had sent to Ghomeshi, months after he allegedly choked and slapped her. Private Facebook messages were read. Henein introduced as evidence more photos and a handwritten letter.
    She argued DeCoutere is lying.
    What Justice William B. Horkins makes of this latest twist is impossible to guess. He could make millions in a Vegas poker tournament. As most eyes in the gallery are saucer big, as jaws are collected from the musty floor, he looks like he’s reading the on-screen program guide on his TV while eating porridge in bed.
    There’s no question Henein is a freakishly gifted trial lawyer. If she stopped me on the street — “Before I go any further, are you absolutely sure you are a South Asian male? That’s the evidence you want to give us under oath?” — I’d freeze in terror and at least consider the possibility I was, say, a Scandinavian female.
    But the real story of Week 1 is the accused.
    Inside court this week, Ghomeshi was a mime without the face paint or amusing gestures. He blinked rapidly. He stared into space. He rested his head on a fist. On occasion, he’d cock his ear to the right, to absorb whispers from Danielle Robitaille, another member of his Dream Team. Sometimes, he’d put pen to paper, though never longer than a few seconds — a few dabs, making it look like he was playing Tic-Tac-Toe against himself on a long-haul flight.
    When he strolls into court each morning, it’s as if his lips are spackled with an adhesive. He starts each day by touching the hand of his mother, who sits in the front row behind Plexiglas and a veil of angst. He offers her a flimsy, wordless smile.
    For a guy who once yammered and purred non-stop, like a Siamese cat in heat, months of silence has produced a supernatural effect: it made him vanish. Ghomeshi became as inanimate as the gargoyles at Old City Hall, a grotesque with no life force.
    The three complainants, two of whom can’t be identified under a publication ban, have given statements to the police. They have met with the Crown. They have lawyers. They have given multiple media interviews.
    But both DeCoutere and the first witness seem to have forgotten something along this journey: the man now leaning back in his chair a few feet from the witness stand has memories of his own. He also has evidence that was never admitted in the court of public opinion when he was tried in absentia and found guilty.
    That evidence — emails the complainants don’t remember sending, photos they don’t remember posing for, letters they don’t remember writing, calls they don’t remember dialing, small and not-so-small details they don’t remember at all — are now flooding out of a hard drive that was clearly designed by CSIS or the late Steve Jobs and features lifetime undelete.
    Or the former host of Q has a time machine.
    “Do you recall taking some photographs with him when you were at the barbecue?” Henein asked DeCoutere, referring to a social outing after the alleged assault.
    “I don’t recall that, no,” DeCoutere replied.
    Henein: “And you didn’t just go for a brunch with him. You went for a walk in the park, right?”
    DeCoutere: “Maybe, yeah.”
    Henein: “Remember posing for some pictures?”
    DeCoutere: “In the park?”
    Henein: “Yeah.”
    DeCoutere: “I don’t remember that. No.”
    We often think of memory as linear, static, an infallible record of experience. But memory is dynamic, unreliable and especially susceptible to trauma. This is a point DeCoutere made more eloquently than the first complainant, who sounded like she buses her memories to a New Age retreat in Victoria each year: “And in the early days, memories, you remember certain pieces of them. And as you sit with them, you remember more.”
    Except, it would seem, the make of car you were in when allegedly assaulted, the yoga poses you were doing, the pub visit that never was. But this is no longer exclusively about what these women remember. It’s now also about what Ghomeshi remembers. As Henein unleashes her Hollywood theatrics, striding across the courtroom in heels that thump ominously, like a hungry T-Rex, what she is really doing is navigating both sides of this adversarial memory bank. She is using discovery as her GPS and Ghomeshi’s version of events as her destination.
    This is a luxury the Crown does not have.
    At one point on the second day, after the first complainant swore she never communicated with Ghomeshi after the alleged assault, Henein produced an email to the contrary.
    “Six months later, you write to him again,” she added soon after, placing another email with a bikini photo attachment on the table for Crown attorneys Michael Callaghan and Corie Langdon to review.
    They turned and stared at each other the way parents do when a principal calls out of the blue to say, “Your child set fire to the portable today.”
    Which is not to say Ghomeshi is headed toward an acquittal. The central allegations so far — that Ghomeshi punched the first complainant three times in the head and yanked on her hair, that he choked and slapped DeCoutere — are still standing like flagpoles, albeit flagpoles in a hurricane of reasonable doubt.
    “I didn’t know these photos existed,” said DeCoutere at one point.
    “I don’t remember that,” said the first complainant.
    The problem for them is Ghomeshi did remember. He’s listened to 16 months of attacks without returning fire. This week, without still saying a word, he replied.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast