Quantcast
Jian Ghomeshi scandal - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 16 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Jian Ghomeshi scandal

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Default Jian Ghomeshi leaving CBC, suing for 50 million

Sad to see him go, Q was a great program. Curious if the public will ever find out the details behind this.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/jian-gho...-cbc-1.2813670

CBC's relationship with Jian Ghomeshi, host of the cultural affairs radio show Q, has ended, the network announced Sunday.

"The CBC is saddened to announce its relationship with Jian Ghomeshi has come to an end. This decision was not made without serious deliberation and careful consideration. Jian has made an immense contribution to the CBC and we wish him well," the network said in a statement.

CBC ended its ties with Ghomeshi earlier on Sunday, said spokesman Chuck Thompson.

"Information came to our attention recently that in CBC's judgment precludes us from continuing our relationship with Jian," Thompson told CBC News.

Thompson would not elaborate on how recently the CBC had discovered the information or what that information was.

"Whenever a decision is made to end a relationship with an employee, terms of separation are never disclosed," Thompson said.

On Friday, Ghomeshi announced that he was taking some "much needed personal time" away from the CBC.

"Thanks for all the well wishes, you guys," he tweeted Friday. "I'm OK."

Dentons Canada LLP, a law firm in Toronto, released a statement saying that Ghomeshi has instructed them to file a $50-million lawsuit against the CBC on Monday that "will claim general and punitive damages for among other things, breach of confidence and bad faith."

It added that he will also "commence grievance for reinstatement under the CBC’s collective agreement."

Asked about the possible lawsuit, Thompson said, "If we are served, as the public broadcaster, we will contest this vigorously."

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

He's also hired a pr firm, my guess is details will follow soon
    Also canned from hosting awards ceremony...
    https://mobile.twitter.com/GillerPri...59472676257792
    Last edited by finboy; 10-26-2014 at 03:02 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 07:54 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-07-2019 at 01:52 PM.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Reddit has added this (terribly written) blog post...
    http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/non-date

And apparently this statement is now out...
    https://www.facebook.com/jianghomesh...52357063881750
    Last edited by finboy; 10-26-2014 at 04:34 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-02-2020 at 11:33 PM.

My Ride
    Audi

Jian Ghomeshi

Dear everyone,

I am writing today because I want you to be the first to know some news.

This has been the hardest time of my life. I am reeling from the loss of my father. I am in deep personal pain and worried about my mom. And now my world has been rocked by so much more.

Today, I was fired from the CBC.

For almost 8 years I have been the host of a show I co-created on CBC called Q. It has been my pride and joy. My fantastic team on Q are super-talented and have helped build something beautiful.

I have always operated on the principle of doing my best to maintain a dignity and a commitment to openness and truth, both on and off the air. I have conducted major interviews, supported Canadian talent, and spoken out loudly in my audio essays about ideas, issues, and my love for this country. All of that is available for anyone to hear or watch. I have known, of course, that not everyone always agrees with my opinions or my style, but I've never been anything but honest. I have doggedly defended the CBC and embraced public broadcasting. This is a brand I’ve been honoured to help grow.

All this has now changed.

Today I was fired from the company where I've been working for almost 14 years – stripped from my show, barred from the building and separated from my colleagues. I was given the choice to walk away quietly and to publicly suggest that this was my decision. But I am not going to do that. Because that would be untrue. Because I’ve been fired. And because I've done nothing wrong.

I’ve been fired from the CBC because of the risk of my private sex life being made public as a result of a campaign of false allegations pursued by a jilted ex girlfriend and a freelance writer.

As friends and family of mine, you are owed the truth.

I have commenced legal proceedings against the CBC, what’s important to me is that you know what happened and why.

Forgive me if what follows may be shocking to some.

I have always been interested in a variety of activities in the bedroom but I only participate in sexual practices that are mutually agreed upon, consensual, and exciting for both partners.

About two years ago I started seeing a woman in her late 20s. Our relationship was affectionate, casual and passionate. We saw each other on and off over the period of a year and began engaging in adventurous forms of sex that included role-play, dominance and submission. We discussed our interests at length before engaging in rough sex (forms of BDSM). We talked about using safe words and regularly checked in with each other about our comfort levels. She encouraged our role-play and often was the initiator. We joked about our relations being like a mild form of Fifty Shades of Grey or a story from Lynn Coady's Giller-Prize winning book last year. I don’t wish to get into any more detail because it is truly not anyone's business what two consenting adults do. I have never discussed my private life before. Sexual preferences are a human right.

Despite a strong connection between us it became clear to me that our on-and-off dating was unlikely to grow into a larger relationship and I ended things in the beginning of this year. She was upset by this and sent me messages indicating her disappointment that I would not commit to more, and her anger that I was seeing others.

After this, in the early spring there began a campaign of harassment, vengeance and demonization against me that would lead to months of anxiety.

It came to light that a woman had begun anonymously reaching out to people that I had dated (via Facebook) to tell them she had been a victim of abusive relations with me. In other words, someone was reframing what had been an ongoing consensual relationship as something nefarious. I learned – through one of my friends who got in contact with this person – that someone had rifled through my phone on one occasion and taken down the names of any woman I had seemed to have been dating in recent years. This person had begun methodically contacting them to try to build a story against me. Increasingly, female friends and ex-girlfriends of mine told me about these attempts to smear me.

Someone also began colluding with a freelance writer who was known not to be a fan of mine and, together, they set out to try to find corroborators to build a case to defame me. She found some sympathetic ears by painting herself as a victim and turned this into a campaign. The writer boldly started contacting my friends, acquaintances and even work colleagues – all of whom came to me to tell me this was happening and all of whom recognized it as a trumped up way to attack me and undermine my reputation. Everyone contacted would ask the same question, if I had engaged in non-consensual behavior why was the place to address this the media?

The writer tried to peddle the story and, at one point, a major Canadian media publication did due diligence but never printed a story. One assumes they recognized these attempts to recast my sexual behaviour were fabrications. Still, the spectre of mud being flung onto the Internet where online outrage can demonize someone before facts can refute false allegations has been what I've had to live with.

And this leads us to today and this moment. I’ve lived with the threat that this stuff would be thrown out there to defame me. And I would sue. But it would do the reputational damage to me it was intended to do (the ex has even tried to contact me to say that she now wishes to refute any of these categorically untrue allegations). But with me bringing it to light, in the coming days you will prospectively hear about how I engage in all kinds of unsavoury aggressive acts in the bedroom. And the implication may be made that this happens non-consensually. And that will be a lie. But it will be salacious gossip in a world driven by a hunger for "scandal". And there will be those who choose to believe it and to hate me or to laugh at me. And there will be an attempt to pile on. And there will be the claim that there are a few women involved (those who colluded with my ex) in an attempt to show a "pattern of behaviour". And it will be based in lies but damage will be done. But I am telling you this story in the hopes that the truth will, finally, conquer all.

I have been open with the CBC about this since these categorically untrue allegations ramped up. I have never believed it was anyone's business what I do in my private affairs but I wanted my bosses to be aware that this attempt to smear me was out there. CBC has been part of the team of friends and lawyers assembled to deal with this for months. On Thursday I voluntarily showed evidence that everything I have done has been consensual. I did this in good faith and because I know, as I have always known, that I have nothing to hide. This when the CBC decided to fire me.

CBC execs confirmed that the information provided showed that there was consent. In fact, they later said to me and my team that there is no question in their minds that there has always been consent. They said they’re not concerned about the legal side. But then they said that this type of sexual behavior was unbecoming of a prominent host on the CBC. They said that I was being dismissed for "the risk of the perception that may come from a story that could come out." To recap, I am being fired in my prime from the show I love and built and threw myself into for years because of what I do in my private life.

Let me be the first to say that my tastes in the bedroom may not be palatable to some folks. They may be strange, enticing, weird, normal, or outright offensive to others. We all have our secret life. But that is my private life. That is my personal life. And no one, and certainly no employer, should have dominion over what people do consensually in their private life.

And so, with no formal allegations, no formal complaints, no complaints, not one, to the HR department at the CBC (they told us they’d done a thorough check and were satisfied), and no charges, I have lost my job based on a campaign of vengeance. Two weeks after the death of my beautiful father I have been fired from the CBC because of what I do in my private life.

I have loved the CBC. The Q team are the best group of people in the land. My colleagues and producers and on-air talent at the CBC are unparalleled in being some of the best in the business. I have always tried to be a good soldier and do a good job for my country. I am still in shock. But I am telling this story to you so the truth is heard. And to bring an end to the nightmare.
    https://m.facebook.com/jianghomeshi/...52357063881750

tl;dr: "I’ve been fired from the CBC because of the risk of my private sex life being made public as a result of a campaign of false allegations pursued by a jilted ex girlfriend and a freelance writer."

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-02-2020 at 11:33 PM.

My Ride
    an econo box

If what he says is true then this will be yet another case of guilty until proven innocent because it's a precious little snowflake female accusing a male of something.

The freelance journalist is probably some white knight simp who's desperate for a piece, or notoriety.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Interesting to see how the lawsuit goes, especially if the CBC did say they were booting him simply because when the stuff he's into comes out, it might make them look bad.

But I don't see how it would. The people who listen to CBC are probably the most liberal minded in the country and I doubt they would care what kind of freaky stuff he's into.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Just finished reading this on Facebook as well. If what he is saying is true, I hope he wins. Not only that, I hope he gets his job back and that bitch gets thrown into jail, she had to have crossed a line legally at some point.

I have been open with the CBC about this since these categorically untrue allegations ramped up. I have never believed it was anyone's business what I do in my private affairs but I wanted my bosses to be aware that this attempt to smear me was out there. CBC has been part of the team of friends and lawyers assembled to deal with this for months. On Thursday I voluntarily showed evidence that everything I have done has been consensual. I did this in good faith and because I know, as I have always known, that I have nothing to hide. This when the CBC decided to fire me.

CBC execs confirmed that the information provided showed that there was consent. In fact, they later said to me and my team that there is no question in their minds that there has always been consent. They said they’re not concerned about the legal side. But then they said that this type of sexual behavior was unbecoming of a prominent host on the CBC. They said that I was being dismissed for "the risk of the perception that may come from a story that could come out." To recap, I am being fired in my prime from the show I love and built and threw myself into for years because of what I do in my private life.
    The sad part is that even if he is completely honest and right, I can't see him recovering. His life will forever be an attempt to pick up from where he was. Much like falsely accused rapists, the innocent still suffer penalties often for the rest of their life all because someone said something about being a victim to a very serious offense. Your trust in any future relationship will be diminished if not eradicated and society will always have their doubts despite every allegation being false. How the accuser isn't branded for life like a falsely accused person can be I don't understand.

Of course there is always the potential that the truth is somewhere in the middle and he did in fact cross some legal boundaries. I'm hope a thorough investigation will yield something.
    Last edited by msommers; 10-26-2014 at 05:20 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Why Cbc fire him over this makes no sense sorry I tend to belive its worse.

My Ride
    Nissan 300zx (1990 na)

I have always operated on the principle of doing my best to maintain a dignity and a commitment to openness and truth, both on and off the air.
    Filthy propagandist. Fuck this guy.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Once again, a very well thought out and compelling post by Arash.

My Ride
    Audi

It is Harper's fault.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

She did. Lots. In all kinds of depraved ways.

Are you turned on? I know I am.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Arash is just mad Jian didn't do all the kinky stuff with him.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Nissan 300zx (1990 na)

Give her a few years and she'll look like Tina Fey of SNL. I give her a high 7 out of 10 in the looks department.
    http://i.ytimg.com/vi/A1wAfjn_q7w/maxresdefault.jpg
    Last edited by Arash Boodagh; 10-26-2014 at 06:17 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-07-2019 at 01:52 PM.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

His problem was that it was "on and off" again. You really shouldn't BDSM outside a committed relationship or a paid one. Not my deal but that's what my BDSM acquaintances used to say. Messed around with this chick 15 years ago. She asked me to choke her. No thank you.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 11 ... LastLast