Quantcast
Affordable Vitamin D (UVB) solution - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Affordable Vitamin D (UVB) solution

My Ride
    Nissan 300zx (1990 na)

Default Affordable Vitamin D (UVB) solution

In my research it looks like Sulfur, cholesterol and the vitamin D hormone created by the sun are some of the best set of requirements to stay in optimal health.

Mercola interviews Dr. Stephanie Seneff about her interesting perspective about sulfur. (Part 1 of 7)
    Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Stephanie Seneff http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5QUChSlUEH0
    For starters... http://i.imgur.com/dxaOqaR.jpg

Mercola interviews Dr. Michael Holick, one of the leading vitamin D researchers, and the author of the book, The Vitamin D Solution.
    Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Holick about Vitamin D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yzT9GLmX0o

Reading material

Vitamin D and Ultraviolet Light - a remarkable process
    http://www.uvguide.co.uk/vitdpathway.htm

Vitamin D Tanning Bed
    http://www.zeropointfitness.net/vita...nning-bed.html

So Im looking to brainstorm an affordable setup in where most people can just go to a pet store and purchase some UVB bulbs to get their much needed vitamin D at home.

Their are special reptile bulbs that emit UVB and the UVA spectrum of light which some what mimic the suns ray. Some brands better then others.

One would need safe tanning goggles or put the setup in some kind of cardboard box to exclude the head so that the UVB doesnt damage ones eye. I was thinking of putting it under a desk with cardboard enclosing around.. maybe include a fan too for venting the heat.

Here is a webpage about someone doing this already
    Vitamin D bulb for use in the home - or perhaps office
    http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Vitamin+...erhaps+office#

UV index powers of brands (little outdated) and their spectrum patterns.
    http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-tests.htm

Lamp beam characteristics
    http://www.uvguide.co.uk/lightingsurveyintro.htm

Testimonial

What do you guys think... are these bulbs safe enough?

------------------

Additional notes;
    Nearly 3000 genes are influenced by vitamin D.
    also you cant just eat vitamin D and get the same effect...

I would lastly like to in-cage the bulb in a boxed mesh to minimize emf radiation.

--------------------

Mercola probably has the best setup
    http://tanningbeds.mercola.com/

There are some professional narrow band UVB only bulbs which dont have the riskier UVA spectrum here... the bulbs alone can only cost around $150... but the whole packages are over $400
    http://www.solarcsystems.com/us_phototherapy_bulbs.html
    Last edited by Arash Boodagh; 10-31-2014 at 04:59 AM.

My Ride
    Nissan 300zx (1990 na)

This from another use.

There have been at least three people here at inspire.com who have made a home-made tanning lamp using reptile bulbs. If you search you will see the pictures.

I joined inspire for the sole purpose of asking more questions regarding these reptile lamps. Interesting was that one person who built a reptile lamp - a few years later reported he was visiting a tanning salon place. Made me wonder why he switched from his reptile lamp to using commercial taning bed businesses. Unfortunately, the person I was trying to contact comes and goes, often spending years between visits to inspire.com

I find that the people here used ZooMed ReptiSun 10.0 48" bulbs. Being concerned about dna damage (skin cancer), I instead purchased four Zoomed Reptisun 5.0 48" bulbs which are 5%. A reptile 5% bulb is more percentage than a commercial taning bed 5% bulb because the percentage is calculated differently - at least that's what I read.

There is a guy in the UK who uses an expensive spectrograph and UV meters and tests all the available reptile bulbs - because the bulb manufacturers do not release this information. His results showed that the 10% Zoo Med reptile bulb got its higher percentage by producing UVB below 303 nano-meters. His measurements of natural summer time noon day light shows that the sun produces virtually nothing below 303 nano-meters, and that DNA damage occurs from UVB below 303 nano-meters. His measurements shows the Sylvania Reptistar has the spectrum closest to natural sunlight. Sylvania does not sell the Reptistar in the USA, but he says the ZooMed 5.0 bulb has an identical spectrum.

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-tests.htm
    and a better summary is here:
    http://www.happyturtlespub.org/smf/i...?topic=22404.0

Some people really love their reptiles. Too bad nobody does this for the commercial tanning bed bulbs, since these bulb manufacturers rarely reveal their spectrum graphs.

So, I purchased 4 Zoomed 5.0 bulbs, and then went to Home Depot and purchased a 4 bulb lighting fixture and some chains. Total cost was under $150. I suspended the lamp over a guest bed - with approximately 7 to 8 inches between the bulbs and my chest. I slowly built up time from 5 minutes/side to 30 minutes/side. So, one hour per day under the lights - I find it is rather slow to develop a suntan.

I really don't care about a suntan, but want to produce vitamin-D. I do not have psoriasis, I just want good healthy vitamin D levels. I currently lay one to two hours in the sun. I suppose next winter I will get a vitamin-D 25(OH) blood test and see how well these bulbs are doing. I do not have psoriasis.

I estimate my reptile lamp produces a UV index somewhere between 3 to 4 which is rather weak compared to laying in the sunlight during spring/summer/fall. I think today's outdoor UV index is a 7 for comparison.

My father used to play tennis/hand-ball with a medical doctor. One day the doctor told my father "80% of medicine is unknown". Many of the studies about the benefits of higher Vitamin-D levels measured in the blood are NOT based on studies of people taking large amounts of vitamin-D pills. Most studies I have read are based on higher vitamin-d levels based on sun exposure. Thus I like to get at least some of my vitamin-D from UV light.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Move to Iran, and you'll get all the natural vitamin D you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

I just got a prescription for 25,000 IU liquid Vitamin D pills and take two a day. I'm keeping on top of my blood tests to make sure that my levels don't get too high but so far so good. I will likely transition to a lower dose once my Vitamin D is where I need it to be.

A non-prescription, high quality alternative:

http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research...gie-Caps/23504

Not sure if this is in liquid form or not but apparently liquid form absorbs much more effectively.

I bought one of these for $55 off right now: http://www.costco.ca/Philips%C2%AE-g...100139551.html EDIT: No UVB though.
    Last edited by phreezee; 10-31-2014 at 03:45 PM.

My Ride
    06 F-150

So what is the general consensus on the pill supplement form? No good?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by E36M3
    I'm keeping on top of my blood tests
    What does this mean exactly? Are you able to test at home? what test levels are you aiming for?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

At or above the range for the lab I use.. I get the tests done at a lab but I am sure you can send them into a lab by mail. If you ask your family doctor for a full blood panel you can get yourself a good baseline to see what has to be tweaked.. typically Canadians are low and often deficient in Vitamin D so I would make it a priority if you are low.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    What does this mean exactly? Are you able to test at home? what test levels are you aiming for?

My Ride
    NC1

I just got a prescription for 25,000 IU liquid Vitamin D pills and take two a day. I'm keeping on top of my blood tests to make sure that my levels don't get too high but so far so good. I will likely transition to a lower dose once my Vitamin D is where I need it to be.

Not sure if this is in liquid form or not but apparently liquid form absorbs much more effectively.
    Whoa! 25000! but then your doc would know best.

I have been taking 5000IU/day for years now. It's kept me in good health.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

buy tanning minutes?

My Ride
    Nissan 300zx (1990 na)

Tanning salon bulbs are basically putting out UV-A rays which is cancerous and even a negative effect on vitamin D in your body.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Move to Iran, and you'll get all the natural vitamin D you need.

Dont they use petroleum to make these synthetic vitamins?

Originally posted by chathamf
    So what is the general consensus on the pill supplement form? No good?
    I would stay away from it.

Im going to look for some instock bulbs this week and see which one to purchase.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

EVERYONE in Canada will be low in Vitamin D. Most people just aren't aware of it because they never get themselves tested.

Most people only need like 2000 IU or something daily.

My Ride
    Nissan 300zx (1990 na)

Anyone know a person with a health problem... I would like to see them treated with the three combo, Sulfur, cholesterol and UV-B nourishment's everyday for 3 months... who knows how many could be made healthy again this way.

Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Anyone know a person with a health problem... I would like to see them treated with the three combo, Sulfur, cholesterol and UV-B nourishment's everyday for 3 months... who knows how many could be made healthy again this way.
    You should give it a shot

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

1st ... an Arash thread worth posting in? wow!!

2nd ... humans metabolize about 10,000 IUs of vitamin D in as little as 10 minutes of sun exposure. It doesent take a tan to get vitamin D. I can also vouch for the benefits of D supplements.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by revelations
    1st ... an Arash thread worth posting in? wow!!

2nd ... humans metabolize about 10,000 IUs of vitamin D in as little as 10 minutes of sun exposure. It doesent take a tan to get vitamin D. I can also vouch for the benefits of D supplements.
    As Canadians we actually don't get enough Vitamin D through sunshine hence why we need supplements.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by BrknFngrs

You should give it a shot
    Hopefully it works for mental health problems!
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by firebane

As Canadians we actually don't get enough Vitamin D through sunshine hence why we need supplements.
    True.

Fair skinned people get way more Vitamin D from minimal solar exposue than dark skinned people. So if youre dark skinned, you especially need the D.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Holy hell, an Arash thread that isn't full of lunacy. No wonder it started freezing over out here.....

There are some interesting thoughts in here.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast