Quantcast
Spam phone calls? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Spam phone calls?

My Ride
    Has AWD

i also get these same bullshit calls, im pretty fukin fed up with it. Nobody is doing a damn thing about it.......ok well lets start doing something, more than just blocking. Cmon, with the combined resources of all the members from beyond there MUST be something more we can do to strike a blow against these losers. I swear if I ever met a person who did this I would lock them in a 4x4 room hanging from their feet with an old school phone on the floor ringing and ringing and ringing. I would leave them there until they have gone mentally insane, then release them back to the public, and they can tell their friends what happens to assholes like them. Eventually after the first 1000 or so ppl that are caught and put thru this, the maddnesswill slowly dissapear, and peace can be had once again.

I dare to dream do you?

My Ride
    EG6

Burn down what ever country is generating the calls. Think about how many calls are made every day.
    If you get angry at my post please re-read as a joke or sarcasm.

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Android phones have been able to do that for a long time as well - I remember first doing that on my Galaxy S. However, the app solutions on both iPhone and Android seem to make managing the blocked numbers a bit easier.
    My android OS phone (Jellybean 4.3) doesn't do this to my knowledge, and all of the apps I've tried have done absolutely nothing.

How do you block numbers using the OS on android?

What apps work for blocking?

My Ride
    EG6

I go into my call log and push the bottom left button and scroll down to "block number". Note3
    If you get angry at my post please re-read as a joke or sarcasm.

Westjet is asking everyone to report the calls. No clue if it'll actually help to stop them though! http://www.calgaryherald.com/touch/s...ml?id=10355787

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

I'm not sure where I got the idea from but I like to fuck with them for an extended period of time like this:

I pretend to be interested, talk for a minute or 2, get buddy buddy then claim my daughter is calling and ask them to hold.

Put them on hold 5-7 minutes and go on with my regular business.

Get back on, talk a bit more, give some false info (if they ask), bullshit about how my daughter is having trouble at school and how I apologize for the long wait but I'm really excited in his product. Do this for another 2-3 minutes, then claim my daughter is calling again.

Put them on hold 5-7 minutes and go on with my regular business.

Get back on, go on with giving them false hope/info claiming I'm really interested in their product. After a minute or so I throw in something along the lines of 'man, kids can be tough, especially at 10, do you have any kids?'. Now if they're a decent salesman they'll say yes and coincidentally they'll be within 2 years of yours (they always do this), I then ask him something disgusting about his child like 'do you mind if I finger bang your daughter?'. They instantly realize I've been fucking with them for 20+ minutes and instantly hang up or tell you to go fuck yourself.

A few years ago web site developers from out east would call me almost daily and it got so annoying I just started wasting their time the way they wasted mine.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If you stay on the line long enough the westjet robots turn into real people? I have never had enough patience to wait that long
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by killramos
    Yup they do it to target company phones etc where a company buys a big block of numbers. When I see someone with my first 3 digits I answer just in case I am getting an after hours call for erp or something.
    Yeah it's especially crazy because this robocall system is rudimentary enough that it literally calls all our numbers at once, you'll hear everyone's phones ring all at once. At least that's when you know it's not worth it to look at the phone screen.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

That's awesome, must be fairly new. I always thought you needed an app regardless.
    New versions of android do this stock as well.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

the worse is when you get other people calling you saying you called them and just dont get it.... "no, it was a spoofed call to sell you something" ...click

My Ride
    Exploded.

I never get calls about SPAM. I'd love to receive a call all about SPAM.

One day.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Does anyone know of any person who has bought something from an automated call like this in the past decade? How do they stay in business?!?

My Ride
    06 civic coupe EX

Anyone getting bombarded by calls from north and south carolina??

I get daily calls from 843-310-0097, 336-608-3476, 919-429-8495 since a couple of weeks ago. And today I finally picked up one of the calls and some person said, "is this <my real name>?" and I said yeah, who is this? And they hung up.

Should I be concerned? Identity theft?
    You drive a manual, you only steer an automatic!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I got a call from Australia last night. I assume it was spam too.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Here's a new one...

My phone starts vibrating so I take a look who's calling. It was my girlfriend but I couldn't answer it at the time so I let it go to voicemail. About 30 seconds later it gives a short vibe for a voicemail. I quickly check it visually and it says new 1 voicemail. A little while later, I have some time to listen to it and its a fucking WestJet spam call!

They spoofed my girlfriends number??? Happened about 2 weeks ago.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    If you have an Android phone you can just get an app that will block calls/texts from any phone number you want. Not sure about iOS. That way the maximum times you will ever have to deal with an annoying caller is one. Far less effort than trying to get revenge.

Originally posted by infamous
    iphones are even easier as it allows you from the factory to block numbers from calling/texting

Android is like that. At least my S5 is. Click on number..."add to reject list".

Same with text messages. Click on number "add to spam list".

Came default with the phone. No app required.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

What I don't understand is that Telus/Rogers/Bell etc all KNOW what exchanges they own. So how hard is it to set up some logic that says, "If the caller ID says it's originating from a known Canadian Exchange, but it's originating from an interface belonging to a foreign exchange, block the fucking call"..

Seriously, it's like a basic ACL on an interface to prevent spoofing...

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

There could be many reasons for them not to do this:

Cost - it would cost money to put in place and not make them any - in fact, they would lose money from the people who pay for call blocking from these numbers.

Laziness - this would be considerable work to set up, probably more work than to put up with complaint calls about it.

Apathy - Telus/Rogers/Bell don't care about this problem, at least not enough to do anything about it, maybe because the CRTC seems to have the same level of concern.

Ways around it - if they were to set this up, these spoofing companies could get a dirt cheap SIP trunk set up to make these calls originate within a local exchange and the calls would proceed.

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

So funny story relating to this. GF's dad starts getting calls from "Microsoft" with a heavy Indian accent saying he has a virus on his computer. He calls their bullshit and hangs up. Calls come about once a day, usually around supper time, and he starts getting annoyed. One night he gets the bright idea to fake an Indian accent and mess with them. Needless to say he got about 15 phone calls over the next 2-3 hours. The moment he picked up, they would just hang up.

Calls from "Microsoft" have since stopped. lol
    Signature..... I ate it!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast