Quantcast
Enmax EasyMax - Fixed Vs. Variable - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Enmax EasyMax - Fixed Vs. Variable

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Got it! I'll take the 100 bux credit. I don't think I use enough electricity to offset that.

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

Originally posted by benyl
    so wait, even when you rate expires, you can keep the $100?
    The old easymax 8.0 cents is like a never ending agreement. If your 8 cents expires it automatically switched to floating and it's your decision to call in to put it back to a fixed rate which is 8.9 for this old Easymax.
    The rewards per year continues until pretty much you cancel the contract or you don't pay the bill and Enmax cancels the contract.

They are also offering the "Choose Free" option now where you are locked into them for 5 years but you get the entire first year of electricity free. For the 5 years, you can switch between fixed and floating with the 30 days notice.

Originally posted by Euro838
    They are also offering the "Choose Free" option now where you are locked into them for 5 years but you get the entire first year of electricity free. For the 5 years, you can switch between fixed and floating with the 30 days notice.
    I assume that's only for new customers?

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 10:22 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by variable_x

I assume that's only for new customers?
    No the called me to offer it today. Have to sign up before 25th.

Up to a maximum of 750 dollars for the year. Obviously only covers usage as well.

Basically they are giving you a year of usage for free to lock in at 7.79

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Really? Hmm, I'm currently still locked at 7.99 from a few years ago, but my wife is now home for maternity leave, and will probably be using more electricity than ever. Maybe I should call them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Originally posted by killramos

Up to a maximum of 750 dollars for the year. Obviously only covers usage as well.

This is true but you are also locked in an agreement for 5 years and will have to pay ~$100 per service (gas/elec) if you cancel....or even move.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by killramos

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Really? Hmm, I'm currently still locked at 7.99 from a few years ago, but my wife is now home for maternity leave, and will probably be using more electricity than ever. Maybe I should call them.
    I called and talked to Enmax about this. I would lose my $100/month easymax reward, and some fees would double, not sure which one, but she said that would be worth an easy $100 over the term.. So, over the 5 years, I'd be down $600ish due to my current Easymax deal. So, the total money I'd save would be possibly $150 over 5 years, with penalties if I want to get out.

Now, that's like $20/year savings, but if electricity takes a dive and goes to 5c/kWh and I want to change my easymax rate.. I won't be able to. She also told me that because I'm an easymax customer with a rebate, I'd be able to simply renew that same deal ongoing next time in 2017 as well.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Here's what I want to know, Enmax obviously has more data to analyze than any one individual could ever compile and I'm sure they go through closely to design these fixed programs. Over the long haul, if Enmax was going to make LESS money by offering a fixed price on anything, do you think they would really do it? No. I run variable on both power & gas and I have to believe that over my lifetime that will be the cheapest option. Or am I missing something here?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride

Masked, I've been considering switching to variable as well, as we average around 780kWh/month this year. I pay 8c/kWh, but I'm not subject to the market variations. Last year, in southern alberta, the average price over the year was 7.74c/kWh. $692.64 worth of power at my usage, vs $748.8 at my locked in rate. So, an average diff a month of $4.68 for 2014. In 2013, I was ahead of the game every single month. In 2013, the average was 8.6c/kWh.. so I was ahead of the game the entire year.

http://www.ucahelps.alberta.ca/historic-rates-2014.aspx
    http://www.ucahelps.alberta.ca/historic-rates-2013.aspx

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    B8 Avant S-line

Enmax floating electricity has been much lower in 2014 than 8c except for 2 months.

https://www.enmax.com/ForYourHomeSit...ity-After.aspx

not sure what the difference is between enmax's rates and ucahelps

Originally posted by codetrap
    Masked, I've been considering switching to variable as well, as we average around 780kWh/month this year. I pay 8c/kWh, but I'm not subject to the market variations. Last year, in southern alberta, the average price over the year was 7.74c/kWh. $692.64 worth of power at my usage, vs $748.8 at my locked in rate. So, an average diff a month of $4.68 for 2014. In 2013, I was ahead of the game every single month. In 2013, the average was 8.6c/kWh.. so I was ahead of the game the entire year.

http://www.ucahelps.alberta.ca/historic-rates-2014.aspx
    http://www.ucahelps.alberta.ca/historic-rates-2013.aspx
    I feel that this doesn't paint an accurate picture as these numbers don't include taxes, delivery charges, and transaction fees.

My Ride

spike98, I didn't include those because they're either fairly static charges, or are the same incremental cost whether it's 2c or 10c. My understanding of the "rider" charges is they're a fixed ratio on a per kWh, not a proportional one. In short, they're the same regardless of the market price per kWh, solely based on how many kWh's I use.

Originally posted by codetrap
    spike98, I didn't include those because they're either fairly static charges, or are the same incremental cost whether it's 2c or 10c. My understanding of the "rider" charges is they're a fixed ratio on a per kWh, not a proportional one. In short, they're the same regardless of the market price per kWh, solely based on how many kWh's I use.
    I think the charges are different. If you read the fine print for Fixed:

Advertised rate does not include an administration fee of an average of $7.10 per site, per month, regulated charges depending on usage and service area, or taxes.

and then Variable:

Advertised rate does not include an administration fee of an average of $7.10 per site, per month, regulated charges depending on usage and service area, taxes,and transaction fees of $0.01 per kWh for floating electricity rate.

So now your average price of variable is now +$0.01 per kWh. So average variable for 2014 would have been $0.0725 per kWh and only margainlly better than the fixed $0.0779 per kWh.

For 2013 your average rate would have been $0.1099 per kWh.
    Last edited by spike98; 01-21-2015 at 10:07 AM.

My Ride

spiker98, I didn't do a good job of explaining what I meant. I didn't include all the other fee's because like you say, it's going to be a per kWh charge no matter what. So, in my instance, I'm paying $0.08/kWh in Electricity, and a combined $0.0686/kWh in charges which would be the same if I were at a $0.078/kWh..

Right now, on my Bill I have 861kWh @0.08/kWh $68.88
    Admin Charge $6.54 - flat fee on a per day basis
    Deliver Charge $19.02 - Usage Based $0.02/kWh
    Transmission Charge $16.76 - Usage Based $0.019/kWh
    Balancing Pool Allocation -$4.86 - Usage Based $$0.0056/kWh
    Rate Riders $9.73 - Usage Based $0.011/kWh
    Local Access Fee $11.32 - Usage Based 0.013/kWh

This isn't totally accurate of course.. but I think that helps explain it. The part about if I switched, they would increase my admin (electricity) & transaction (gas) fees as those were part of my current easymax plan.
    Last edited by codetrap; 01-23-2015 at 02:23 PM.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 04:47 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Enmax offering 5.99c electricity for 3 years right now. But gas goes up from Floating + 47c to Floating + 99c.

So in January I'd save about $15, May would be $16.

Not so fine print:
    Some differences you'll notice with this new plan

We've discontinued EasyMax Rewards® Dollars.

The administration fee on your current plan is based on what your wires service provider charges; now it will be an average of $7.10 per each electricity and natural gas site per month which we may change from time to time.

Your current floating electricity plan does not have a term. Now the Floating Electricity plan has a term.

When the term of your plan expires (if applicable), we may automatically continue you on the longest term fixed rate plan then available.

If the rate that your floating electricity rate is based on materially changes, we may move you to the longest term fixed electricity plan then available.

The transaction fee for the floating natural gas plan will increase from 47˘/GJ to 99˘/GJ. We may change the transaction fee from time to time.
    So I save about $15 a month for 3 years and then they fuck me? Is that how this plays out?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

mine was already floating+$0.99/GJ

i did switch my fixed electric to the new $0.0599 plan though, who the hell knows what the rate will be in 3 years, but you can switch back and forth monthly if you really want to between fixed and floating

Nice, I'm still riding out the floating electricity haha, a bill I have from couple months ago shows I used 802kWh @ $0.023 = $18.57. I've been waiting to jump back onto fixed, but prices keep trending lower so I guess I'll stay put.

I don't think Enmax sees this trend reversing either which is probably why they're now offering this new lower fixed rate to entice some people over.

Only problem with floating is that all it takes is 1 crazy month (heatwave + unscheduled plant shutdowns) where the price spikes to wipe out all the savings
    ---

Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast