Quantcast
Home security - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Home security

Default Home security

My new home comes hardwire for outside cameras and a security panel inside. What's the best way to make use of them?

I want something I can monitor myself and get alerts when there is movement outside. Read alot about ring but looks like they have a camera in the doorbell but I wanted a bit more range.

Do people still go to places like adt?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Nobody, ever, for any reason, should call a "home security company".
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I'd say Wyze but for my security system I have Vivint/Telus
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Given your place is a new build, it's too bad you can't get ethernet ports setup and do PoE.

That said we have Defender cameras and Lorex doorbell, both systems work well but I'd lean towards Lorex.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    *The First*

Cameras are completely pointless. Absolutely zero value in any capacity, ever.
    Focus on door/window opening triggers and glass break sensor, plus smoke detection and maybe a motion detector. If it doesn't alert you, it's also pointless because you're the only one who cares. Alarm security personnel are less qualified than Skip The Dishes drivers.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I've got Eufy cameras outside the house that I monitor myself. I've also got a basic alarm that came with the house which has motion sensors, glass break, smoke alarms and a water sensor in the basement. I have that monitored for $19 a month which I'm ok with. If I was doing a new build, I would monitor it all myself and not bother with the security company. When I get some time this summer, I plan to put in my own sensors and ditch the alarm company.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Cameras are completely pointless. Absolutely zero value in any capacity, ever.
    I would disagree. I have a 3G camera with solar panel at my acreage, it's nice to know if contractors arrived on site, or what my house looks like in a snow storm when you are on the other side of the city. I think they have a value. They won't help you get anyone busted really, but even in my existing home, if I'm in bed and hear a weird sound, I usually pull up the cams and check around, to see if it's ghosts or an actual intruder, or most often, just my cat

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    I would disagree. I have a 3G camera with solar panel at my acreage, it's nice to know if contractors arrived on site, or what my house looks like in a snow storm when you are on the other side of the city. I think they have a value. They won't help you get anyone busted really, but even in my existing home, if I'm in bed and hear a weird sound, I usually pull up the cams and check around, to see if it's ghosts or an actual intruder, or most often, just my cat
    Yes. I'm mainly speaking from a "getting someone busted" perspective. Until humans are forced to have unobstructed, reflective license plates on their heads, you get an image of a human-shaped blob in a hood leaving your house with your shit.

Another 8 years of Federal Liberals will have us wearing license plates, so one can dream.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Yes. I'm mainly speaking from a "getting someone busted" perspective. Until humans are forced to have unobstructed, reflective license plates on their heads, you get an image of a human-shaped blob in a hood leaving your house with your shit.
    This is true. I had a garage break in with the dudes face, it was so grainy wouldn't tell shit, aside from the fact that he looked like he shit his pants..gave it to the cops, and that was the end of that story.

Although with enough digging, you may be able to piece a few things together. I had this old dude come out to my land during daytime once in his truck, and his tailgate had a phone number for his chicken business, and I had a clear view. One night that same dude came out to my land after dark (not sure why), and my camera picked up the reflection from the chicken sign, so I knew it was same truck and who it was. Just a nosey neighbor who was curious about my build and came out to check it out. Coming after dark was weird, but haven't seen him since.

I've decided to go with Ring. Ring doorbell bell camera up front and out back, camera floodlight on the side of the house that has 360 view and motion sensors in the basement and main floor. Should be good enough for now

My Ride
    V8s

AvertX

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    I've decided to go with Ring. Ring doorbell bell camera up front and out back, camera floodlight on the side of the house that has 360 view and motion sensors in the basement and main floor. Should be good enough for now
    I have a self monitored ring alarm at my house. I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

Quote Originally Posted by SJW View Post
    I have a self monitored ring alarm at my house. I love it.
    What all do you have for the whole system? Did you go with motion? Door sensor? Etc

My Ride
    VAG products

We have blink cameras around our place/ garage and we recently had a guy come through our gate and break into our garage (detached) and steal a bunch of shit. So what @ThePenIsMightier said - it doesn't really stop break-ins.. but they do have their purpose. We now bring the ipad that has most of our home control apps to our bedroom with notifications on loud so we have a fighting chance of waking up to a notification sound in the middle of the night...lol..

What all do you have for the whole system? Did you go with motion? Door sensor? Etc
    For the ring system, we have contact sensors on doors and windows, motion sensors, glass break (listeners), and alarm listeners. Indoor cameras for garage, etc. And subscribed to the ring protection plan which includes video recording for all devices. So if you have more ring cameras / doorbell installed, it is a good deal. Also the protection plan subscription extends the warranty of the ring hardwares and have discounts if you purchase devices through them.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

IMO Camera's aren't going to stop someone determined from breaking in but at the same point if you make your cameras quite obvious and with good sightlines it deters people from choosing your house. Why break into the garage with multiple cameras set up when 2 houses down there's someone that doesn't even shut their gate.

My preference: Unraid server /w lots of storage running Blue Iris for the object detection and that feeds into Home assistant to be able to monitor things from various devices. Then whatver PoE camera's and doorbell cams you want to setup. Doors and windows can be any z-wave sensors as they're easy to connect to.

My Ride

I have all the sensors. I bought extra door sensors too for the garage doors. Every door in my house is armed at night. I run wyze cameras in a separate system just because. If something is in or around my house at night i'll know and it won't be pleasant for whomever it is. It's super easy to install too.

My Ride
    Ford F150

I imagine SJW having a 6 foot pit pre-dug and covered on his property as well
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    I imagine SJW having a 6 foot pit pre-dug and covered on his property as well
    Any holes have been covered and replanted by now. I shall answer no questions.

Also, my samurai has no tracking devices on it and it will go anywhere. Just sayin.

My Ride
    Pipe

My new home comes hardwire for outside cameras and a security panel inside. What's the best way to make use of them?

I want something I can monitor myself and get alerts when there is movement outside. Read alot about ring but looks like they have a camera in the doorbell but I wanted a bit more range.

Do people still go to places like adt?
    My Stack is as follows:

Honeywell Alarm panel that integrates with apple home kit. Monitoring by outside alarm company who wired all of the door, window, motion, glass break, smoke and flood sensors back to panel. When anything happens, that triggers alarm, this is pushed to alarm monitoring company and to my iphone through apple home kit. Near instantaneous notification of an alarm and I can arm and unarm the alarm through Homekit from my phone anywhere I have cell reception or wifi connection.

I also have wireless/ battery Nest/google cameras powered by small 5w solar panels on the outside of home and those that are near plugs (garage) are wireless, but plugged into wall to keep powered. Also have Nest doorbell.

All of these feed back into home kit through a Starling Hub Bridge, bypassing the Google/ Apple incompatibility. Can monitor video in real time through homekit on all of my cameras. (Only drawback is you have to go into google apps to review logged previously video recorded events, but this is only needed very infrequently).

Also have Lutron caseta feeding into homekit, power door locks and garage opener feeding into home kit. When I had Ecobee this fed into Homekit as well so I could control and monitor home temp from home kit (unfortunately my new thermostats do not support home kit which sucks)

I can shut down, lock doors and arm alarm with push of 1 button on my phone from anywhere. Wife can do the same. Can see the status of doors If I think I forgot to lock or close a door etc.

Works flawlessly.

I know there are super high-end home automation systems, but my take is that they have 1/10000 of the financially capacity to support, upgrade their products and support integrations of different products vs. Apple. Knowing people that have them, the only winner is the contractor that installs them and has to be called whenever they stop working (which is regularly).

If you arent apple person then this is not for you, but I assume Google Home offers similar functionality and has many 3rd part integrations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast