Quantcast
Beyond preferred garage heater install? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Beyond preferred garage heater install?

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

did anyone try the Costco 4,000W electrical unit? If so, how's it working?

I've got a 220v outlet in my garage and this might be an inexpensive way to heat things up.

I take back my last comment. Did some online searching on reviews. I might pick up this unit for the winter until I can get a gas one installed next year
    Last edited by HomespunLobster; 09-04-2015 at 08:42 PM.

My Ride
    Whip.

Originally posted by Pacman
    did anyone try the Costco 4,000W electrical unit? If so, how's it working?

I've got a 220v outlet in my garage and this might be an inexpensive way to heat things up.
    I actually got it installed and running. Mounted it up myself, and ended calling an electrician to run a new outlet from the panel, because the existing outlet was in the wrong spot and the wrong type of outlet too.

Chad and Brent were the electricians that helped me out...username FLARE on here. Super dedicated and honest folks that know what they're doing.

As for heating up the garage, mine is a 2-car and fully insulated, so I expect this to be enough. I only ever turned it on whenever I was going to be spending more than a couple minutes in the garage, and it was basically fine to turn it on as I got into the garage because it heated things up quickly, but you do have the option of using the built in thermostat. I had it installed towards the end of winter, so I haven't really tested it in the coldest days yet...but then again, I see no reason to keep my garage a constant 15 degrees all winter either.
    THE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE:
    N/A, 8000RPM REDLINE, CLOSE RATIO MANUAL, RWD, LSD

AE86, S2000, E46M3

Scratch that...fat, boost, AWD, DSG

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

Ran a gas line and put in a 60,000btu Modine Hot Dawg this spring, I suspect it will be fine for the winter, I have it set for 58'F to keep things from freezing.

My Ride
    rubbish

Another Bump

I have some work that I would like done in a residential garage and am looking for a contractor that can take care of the entire project rather than having to coordinate multiple trades myself. It's a little more complicated than a typical garage heater install, so I'm not sure if the aforementioned recommendations are valid. It will involve gas fitting, hvac, electric, and the installation of a ceiling fan/roof vent. Basically a garage heater controlled by a thermostat, and a make-up air unit controlled by a dehumidistat.

Does anyone have any recommendations who I can call for this sort of thing before I start contacting companies off google?

Originally posted by 86max
    Another Bump

I have some work that I would like done in a residential garage and am looking for a contractor that can take care of the entire project rather than having to coordinate multiple trades myself. It's a little more complicated than a typical garage heater install, so I'm not sure if the aforementioned recommendations are valid. It will involve gas fitting, hvac, electric, and the installation of a ceiling fan/roof vent. Basically a garage heater controlled by a thermostat, and a make-up air unit controlled by a dehumidistat.

Does anyone have any recommendations who I can call for this sort of thing before I start contacting companies off google?
    I'd recommend Brent from Shift Air Mechanical. I posted about the garage heater install earlier in this thread that he did for me however in addition to that he did installed 2 A/C units in my home this summer as well which involved adding a subpanel and the garage is vented as well. He took care of everything with the electician/gas fitter. Let me know if you want his contact info.

My Ride
    2011 Volkswagen Golf TDI

why don't you just get one of these http://www.homedepot.com/p/NewAir-17...-G73/205588544 heats up to 500sq ft and if you have a panel board in your garage with room in there it would probably only cost under 100.00 for your breaker and wire.
    Last edited by madramzi24; 11-15-2015 at 02:29 AM.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

I have an appointment for Protech plumbing to come by and install a Hot Dawg heater for my 23x21 garage on Monday - $2100 + $12ft for gas line.

I will report once done.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    toyota MR2

Originally posted by KPHMPH
    I have an appointment for Protech plumbing to come by and install a Hot Dawg heater for my 23x21 garage on Monday - $2100 + $12ft for gas line.

I will report once done.
    Attached garage? I hear they are loud. I don't think you will like it if you have a bonus room above
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    rubbish

I've had no luck finding someone to install mine. Been turned down because I already have the equipment (less profit), or guys just don't show up :/

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

I will report once done.
    Sounds like a decent price to me, it cost me about $1400 to do it myself, as far as noise is concerned I don't really have an issue with my Hot Dawg, if you want something quiet buy a radiant heater.

My Ride

Originally posted by thinmyster

Attached garage? I hear they are loud. I don't think you will like it if you have a bonus room above
    We had one in our Fort Mac house with attached garage. Our master bed was right above garage and I honestly never heard it!

The house I am in right now the 3 bedroom / workout room is above garage and our master is on he back side of the house. Shouldn't be an issue either.

The garage is 95% finished and is very silent to the rest of the house, when I'm in there blasting music you can barely hear it in the rest of the house + I find the heaters don't run to often when the garage is insulated good.

I will update when all finalized and garage is getting heated!

My Ride

So they arrived at 9am and finished by 12 today.

I'm happy - clean install and small but powerful heater.

Professionally Retired

So they arrived at 9am and finished by 12 today.

I'm happy - clean install and small but powerful heater.

Looks clean. I was quoted $3780 for a Reznor 45,000 btu. I almost laughed at the poor guy.

You should PM the details of the guy that installed yours.

Originally posted by spike98

Looks clean. I was quoted $3780 for a Reznor 45,000 btu. I almost laughed at the poor guy.

You should PM the details of the guy that installed yours.
    I had a Reznor 45,000 BTU installed at $2150 this summer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3