Punctuality - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Where do you fit?

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm generally late and DGAF about this

20 10.20%
  • I'm generally late and this post makes a lot of sense; will try to improve

16 8.16%
  • I'm generally on time and utterly agree with this guy.

160 81.63%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Punctuality

Originally posted by jwslam

Off topic rant: Since when is it appropriate to use text messages to tell someone you've arrived at their door to pick them up? If it's warm outside, come knock or ring the bell; if it's cold, give me a phone call to make sure I get your message.
    This happened the same time people started to think that SMS's were an acceptable form of contact for matters above meanial or casual conversation.

I almost pushed my wife down the stairs the other day because of this:

On the phone...

ME: "Im stopping on my way home to get wine for the dinner party, can you call XXXXX to find out if i should bring red or white"

HER: "Sure dear, ill let you know"

5 minutes later, arrive at the store

ME: "Did you find out what type of wine i need to get, im in the store now"

HER: "No, she hasn't text back yet"

ME: "Call her"

HER: "But i already sent her a text"

ME: "Merlot it is" click

My Ride
    Acura CL

i'm always on time
    hate being late for anything and would rather be there early
    things have changed with a baby...no matter how prepared you are in advance...shit comes up and it makes me late
    it drives me nuts

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by killramos
    Dave is in a tough spot, it's not cut and dry at all. His further explanation is exactly right, setup/cleanup/teardown times are a killer for small work - as is one angry/annoyed housewife. The best he can do in that situation is contact the next person and say unknown conditions have forced him to spend more time there while asking them to have patience or, make alternate arrangements.

I'm in construction at the GC level, trades are constantly late and there's a hundred good enough reasons why 99% of the time (the 1% are hungover drywallers hahaha). THAT doesn't bother me because I know that even if they're 4 hours/1 day late, they'll do what it takes to hit the deadline. Hell, 80% of the time they're late because of shit that happened one of our other jobs anyways.

When their Owners or site reps. are late for scheduled project meetings? THAT pisses me off.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

It all depends on the importance of what you are trying to get to on time. If I commit to a time, I will try my absolute best to make it.

If some pickle biter makes a meeting request to discuss some menial bullshit that will take up an hour of my day, I will be late. Fuck you and your useless meeting, cheddardick.

If I'm meeting a client for a kickoff meeting, or anything of significant importance I'll be 15 minutes early..

It just all depends, so yeah I am a rude selfish dick.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by BavarianBeast
    If some pickle biter makes a meeting request to discuss some menial bullshit that will take up an hour of my day, I will be late. Fuck you and your useless meeting, cheddardick.
    Grow some balls and decline the meeting if it's not something that matters to you.

Originally posted by jwslam

Off topic rant: Since when is it appropriate to use text messages to tell someone you've arrived at their door to pick them up? If it's warm outside, come knock or ring the bell; if it's cold, give me a phone call to make sure I get your message.
    Because when you do that, this is what people think:

"Oh he just called me, I will now start to get my stuff together and get ready to go outside"

If I get this request from someone I call when I am about 5 minutes away and say I am outside. And I STILL have to wait. People always think their time is more important.

Again if I am doing you a favor by driving you I should not be hassled in the situation.

My Ride
    550i, X5

Some of you dudes are wayyy too high maintenance for "friends". I can't believe some of the shit that's being said. If I had a buddy with as many "rules" as mentioned on here, I would be the one severing the relationship. Relax guys, you sound like a bunch of clucking chickens.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Of course, a perfectly good explanation is boring, so the answer is, it's fucking voodoo.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

My wife is obsessed with being "on time" which to her is being there 30 minutes early.

Originally posted by E46..sTyLez
    Some of you dudes are wayyy too high maintenance for "friends". I can't believe some of the shit that's being said. If I had a buddy with as many "rules" as mentioned on here, I would be the one severing the relationship. Relax guys, you sound like a bunch of clucking chickens.
    Being late once-understand. Being late habitually-lack of respect.
    Cluck cluck.

I'd page kenny and buh_buh but I'm sure somebody already alerted them to this thread and they'll just get here when they get here.

Sorry I am not a pushover who wants to wait on you hand and foot. I have better things to do.

Obviously if shit happens its different. But I have some friends (some, not all) that are ALWAYS late. No matter the situation.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    I see someone with absolutely NO clue about construction time management. I'm not booking 12 hours of time..circusmtances change, not at my end.
    So I should clean up my buckets, pack up my saw, load up my tools (about an hours time) drive to the other end of town..set up all those same tools again for second customer..pack up, clean up...only to then drive all the way back AGAIN to first customer and repeat same performance a third time?? That's about an additional 3 hours of set up time for an additional 2 hours of requested changes/repairs. (Whether it's the next day or not is irrelevant...that day is already spoken for) Who's gonna pay for all that time and gas? HER? Would YOU pay an extra 3 hours @ $95/hr, when I'm already set up with tools and supplies? What about when the finishing carpenter pierces a water line and we have to rip the wall apart before tile goes on the wall? What about....*an infinite amount of "shit happens" in construction*

Add to that I don't have 37 employees that I can borrow from one job to take up slack on another. Welcome to the small construction company.
    I think that if me as a costumer didn't do a good job explaining to you what needed to be done (when you come to do a quote) or adding things on then I would absolutely expect you to bill me 95 dollars an hour to pack up and come back and set up, unless you are quoting things by the job in which case it is your job to do them on time or deal with coming back at your expense.

It is not my problem how much money you spend on gas, factor it into your business costs.

Whenever I have had work done in the past if I CHANGE my mind in the middle of the project I end up paying the cost. Trades pack up and leave without finishing jobs all the time.

Besides your times seem pretty out of wack here. 1 hour TOTAL job that has 1 hour of packing up? Did you do any work? You aren't doing a good job convincing me here...

As for extenuating circumstances that takes extra time. I would not expect you to blow off your other clients to take care of me. If the finishing carpenter fucks up that's on him to eat the cost.

Writing it off as "that's just how construction and trades work" is a BS excuse that allows zero accountability in the industry, which is a HUGE problem.

Again I am not trying to be a dick its just that your reasoning doesn't line up with proper customer service. It is very self serving.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Dave is in a tough spot, it's not cut and dry at all. His further explanation is exactly right, setup/cleanup/teardown times are a killer for small work - as is one angry/annoyed housewife. The best he can do in that situation is contact the next person and say unknown conditions have forced him to spend more time there while asking them to have patience or, make alternate arrangements.
    I don't disagree that things are tough and things come up I just don't think the reasoning justifies the result. He has alternatives to blowing off clients, ultimately it appears he chooses not to take them.

I think pleasing ( or merely satisfying) one client is not a good excuse for completely alienating another that's all.

In my experience with renos etc (including family friends who we have hired to do the work) there really isn't always a good reason. In my experience the good reasons are actually few and far between.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Grow some balls and decline the meeting if it's not something that matters to you.
    Know what the word mandatory means?

Most of these menial meetings have a sign-in sheet, some pencil pusher writing the minutes and require you to attend.

My Ride
    550i, X5

Originally posted by lasimmon

Sorry I am not a pushover who wants to wait on you hand and foot. I have better things to do.

Obviously if shit happens its different. But I have some friends (some, not all) that are ALWAYS late. No matter the situation.
    I've got a friend of mine, that is one of my oldest and best friends, and is ALWAYS late. I can usually guess what time he'll actually show up because he is THAT consistently late.

He is one of the greatest friends I could ask for though, there for me if I ever need him (albeit late haha)...would do anything for a friend and is one of the most selfless people I have even known. He can offer great advice, and is basically like an uncle to my son. Best man at my wedding etc

So with all that said, I should crucify him for one trait that isn't "up to my standard"? I can live with him being late, cause he's a great person and more than makes up for it in other ways.

Long story short, are you guys all perfect friends with no faults? Personally, I think being an asshole over tardiness is much more of a shitty friend than being the late guy. I bet there are certain things about me that bother my friends, but they look past it. It's called being a friend, get over yourselves. YOU sound like the selfish ones from where I'm standing.

/rant

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by BavarianBeast

Know what the word mandatory means?

Most of these menial meetings have a sign-in sheet, some pencil pusher writing the minutes and require you to attend.
    Is your work/company particularly bureaucratic? Is it your boss or higher up who is mandating you to attend?

I find that most of my meetings are non-mandatory in nature and more work as information sessions so I can do my job more effectively and support other people in their roles and priorities.

My Ride
    Hatred

Cluck cluck Fuck friends with no respect.
    -U

I've got a friend of mine, that is one of my oldest and best friends, and is ALWAYS late. I can usually guess what time he'll actually show up because he is THAT consistently late.

He is one of the greatest friends I could ask for though, there for me if I ever need him (albeit late haha)...would do anything for a friend and is one of the most selfless people I have even known. He can offer great advice, and is basically like an uncle to my son. Best man at my wedding etc

So with all that said, I should crucify him for one trait that isn't "up to my standard"? I can live with him being late, cause he's a great person and more than makes up for it in other ways.

Long story short, are you guys all perfect friends with no faults? Personally, I think being an asshole over tardiness is much more of a shitty friend than being the late guy. I bet there are certain things about me that bother my friends, but they look past it. It's called being a friend, get over yourselves. YOU sound like the selfish ones from where I'm standing.

/rant
    Except you described one of my best friends. And lo and behold now he doesn't keep me waiting if I give him a ride or simply doesn't ask. I fail to see the issue here. He understood that I found it disrespectful and since we are best friends changed the way he acts in that situation.

You are a push over for allowing your friend to walk all over you and "accept" it because that is the way he is.

My Ride
    550i, X5

Originally posted by lasimmon

Except you described one of my best friends. And lo and behold now he doesn't keep me waiting if I give him a ride or simply doesn't ask. I fail to see the issue here. He understood that I found it disrespectful and since we are best friends changed the way he acts in that situation.

You are a push over for allowing your friend to walk all over you and "accept" it because that is the way he is.
    IMO you're a douchebag and your friend is a pushover for putting up with your shit. You don't mold your friends into what you want them to be, you sound like a controlling dick. You should be friends with someone as they are, not who you want them to be.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Mibz
    I'd page kenny and buh_buh but I'm sure somebody already alerted them to this thread and they'll just get here when they get here.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

IMO you're a douchebag and your friend is a pushover for putting up with your shit. You don't mold your friends into what you want them to be, you sound like a controlling dick. You should be friends with someone as they are, not who you want them to be.
    Haha alright buddy. I'm a douchebag for asking for respect and he is putting up with my shit because I don't want to wait for him when I am doing him a favor. Whatever you say

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast