Quantcast
Poor drivers? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor drivers?

Default Poor drivers?

Poor drivers - it seems they were everywhere this morning.

First encounter - some guy in his Dodge truck going NB on the SB ramp/road from Deerfoot Trail/Meadows to Southland Drive. Better yet, he was near the north end of the mobile home park so he had been going this wrong way for a bit. Clued out for sure.

But better yet was SB MacLeod this morning into the Avenida Mall complex at Lake Fraser Gate. Huge ass electronic sign before the intersection saying no left turns, multiple other electronic lit and static signage saying no left turns plus a lowered boom at the end with flashing lights on it and there this middle-aged white woman sits right in front of the lowered boom with her left blinker on. Now I didn't think this was rocket science or even anything close to it, but apparently this lady is either just plain stupid or is blind. She did eventually figure things out and proceeded SB on MacLeod but how she missed all the signage that informs drivers that they can not do what she was attempting to do is beyond me.

Two very poor drivers that I encountered on our roads within a very short time span - drivers that just shouldn't be in the predicaments they were in and yet they were. Maybe they were more elderly than they appeared to me, maybe they were just that poor at driving and reacting to the driving environment they were in - I really don't know. But one has to wonder what would happen if they were faced with an emergency unfolding right in front of them to which they had to react to save themselves?

The opposite. Rich drivers?

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

Welcome to calgary. /thread

I get so angry when I see people that don't scrape their windows when it's frosty as hell out
    They dont' clear snow off their tail lights, headlights and signal lights. I almost t-boned a guy at a 4 way because we arrived at the same time, I couldn't see a speck of his head/signal lights and assumed he was going straight at the same time I was and he turns left right infront of me.

And for the love of god, TURN ON YOUR LIGHTS when it's SNOWY, RAINY OR DARK!!

So many people either don't care or assume that their 'daytime running lights' will come on when it's dark. SOME vehicles taillights/headlights will come on when set to Auto, however, there are tons of cars where only the headlights come on and the back of their car is dark.

Spread the word, test your car's Auto settings and see if your tail lights come on

/end rant

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Default Re: Poor drivers?

Originally posted by speedog
    Poorly judgmental drivers - it seems they were everywhere this morning.
    FTFY

Default Re: Re: Poor drivers?

Originally posted by n1zm0
    FTFY
    Thx. I suppose they could've been poor but that'd be difficult to ascertain from what I saw.

Originally posted by snowcat
    Welcome to calgary. /thread
    No, there's probably drivers like this everywhere but these two kind of stood out this morning.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

After living in Vancouver for 13 years, Calgary drivers on average are night and day better.

Everything is relative.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-02-2020 at 11:15 PM.

Originally posted by 01RedDX

Yeah I always say this, have you ever seen what happens there after a light dusting of snow? Complete pandemonium.
    Haha, same thing when I was in Austraila but with rain. little bit of rain? everyone drives like a 90 year old with no legs...or eyes...or ears....

My Ride

Originally posted by 01RedDX

Yeah I always say this, have you ever seen what happens there after a light dusting of snow? Complete pandemonium.
    Yea, I lived in Richmond for about 3. It was sad watching FOBs in their $100k silver Mercedes SUVs spinning about and getting stuck on the medians.

Meanwhile, I'd drive through the residential areas to avoid the carnage.

All this in a community that is flatter than Chestermere and has next to zero road curves.

Question:

Why doesn't Calgary paint their curbs/raised medians yellow?

I'm assuming it has to do with cost of repainting them when the salt eats away at it/snow blades scrape it off

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

why can't retards merge onto deerfoot going anything more than 50kph?

Seriously. Every. Fucking. Day.

Some dumb cunt on a mile long merge going 50 until he has to get onto a highway where everyone is doing 100+. EVERY DAY!

My Ride

Originally posted by BavarianBeast

Some dumb cunt on a mile long merge going 50 until he has to get onto a highway where everyone is doing 100+. EVERY DAY!
    Yea I dont get that either. Its like jumping into a fast flowing river with floating logs. You want to get moving at the speed of the river BEFORE you hit the water.

What really strikes me as strange is when I see the same motorist doing an F1 start from a green light but then dithers when it comes time to accelerate to highway speeds and merge.

Are people afraid of highway speeds?

Originally posted by BavarianBeast

I feel you
    but I have to go from southbound Deerfoot onto Glenmore East. Good lord, trying to merge there is tough and sketchy. People are ripping on Glenmore East trying to go Deerfoot north and going 100there and it's just dodgy, every day.

Sigh

My Ride

Originally posted by Dumbass17

I feel you
    but I have to go from southbound Deerfoot onto Glenmore East. Good lord, trying to merge there is tough and sketchy. People are ripping on Glenmore East trying to go Deerfoot north and going 100there and it's just dodgy, every day.

Sigh
    At that location, I usually wait about 5 car lengths behind the person parked RIGHT on the edge of the yield - that way I have a running start if a gap opens.

(on the motorcycle I dont bother)

Originally posted by revelations

At that location, I usually wait about 5 car lengths behind the person parked RIGHT on the edge of the yield - that way I have a running start if a gap opens.

(on the motorcycle I dont bother)
    YOU!!!! YOU'RE THE WORST!!!

Just pull up and park on a 45deg angle to see the oncoming traffic so you can see them easier without using your mirrors. Then when a semi comes, drive infront of it.

i kid i kid

But it's a bad interchange. I like it when traffic is slow and it alternates entering traffic.

Calgary public, in general, are aggressive and discourteous drivers. And I include myself in this generalization.

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

After living in Richmond for 8 years, I'm glad to be moving back to Calgary where things are relatively sane. So it really makes me laugh when I hear "Calgary drivers are the worst" or something to that tune. Yes, there are bad drivers in Calgary, but not nearly to the extent or frequency as other places such as Richmond. Every single car on the road is not trying to kill you.

Yesterday, I saw a young chinese lady, in a Ferrari F430, drive down a major highway here, stop in the middle of the highway, in the middle lane, let her passenger out to run across the highway to the bus stop on the other side of the 6 lanes. Then she pulled a u-turn and went against oncoming traffic so she could go back to the previous exit.

This is acceptable (and common) practice here because rules and laws are mere suggestions.
    Last edited by DeeK; 11-18-2014 at 09:03 AM.

My Ride

^ yea it was comical - and sad at the same time.

Watched a Silver Mercedes do a u turn in the middle on #3 and Westminster Hwy (Calgary equivalent, Macleod and Southland) , which took about 3 minutes. Traffic was backed up yet no one honked, because everyone thought it was normal

My Ride
    G37X

I find traffic moves a lot faster in Vancouver Richmond area. It's a lot more random sure. And you get the crazy fobs that just dgaf and putter along in the fast lane/cut you off but it's the same in the NE here. Overall I prefer driving in Vancouver over Calgary. At least people know how to merge at the speed limit there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast