Quantcast
First LED TV - 120 Hz or 240 Hz - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: First LED TV - 120 Hz or 240 Hz

My Ride
    95B

Angry First LED TV - 120 Hz or 240 Hz

My Pioneer Plasma hit the bed after 10 Yrs of flawless service

I am looking to buy my first LED TV and I am not sure whether I should get a 120 Hz or a 240 Hz. The more I read about it I am getting confused. I watch a lot of sports and that is one reason why I am even considering 240 Hz.
    The question I have is for those who has 120 Hz do you see the blur in motion?

Thanks

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Even watching sports, I find the action/movements of 240hz appears unnatural and irritates me.

My Ride
    FAT tires

I'm a faithful plasma watcher (and serious about image quality), depending on specific Pioneer model id try and get it fixed. Otherwise grab one of the last Samsung 8500's while you can.

On topic, from what I understand a 240 hz model will be better especially if there is black frame insertion, gets the motion quality back without the soap opera effect.

My Ride
    95B

Originally posted by tsi_neal
    I'm a faithful plasma watcher (and serious about image quality), depending on specific Pioneer model id try and get it fixed. Otherwise grab one of the last Samsung 8500's while you can.

On topic, from what I understand a 240 hz model will be better especially if there is black frame insertion, gets the motion quality back without the soap opera effect.
    I am in the same boat as you when it comes to plasma. I will most likely get it fixed but with big sporting events in the next two week I need a TV - I know 1st world problem.

Originally posted by ganesh

I am in the same boat as you when it comes to plasma. I will most likely get it fixed but with big sporting events in the next two week I need a TV - I know 1st world problem.
    Buy another plasma while you still can, LCD TV's can't touch them for motion/sports, among other things.

If you need a TV immediately, why not just buy a plasma still? They are cheaper than ever.

60" 1080P for $749. I have this exact TV and it is outstanding:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...2d5b45c281en02

You even have 30 days to return it if you're into that...

My Ride
    has a stick axle

What's the deal with Vizio? Everything I have read about them online is generally very positive, anyone have any first hand experience with them?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by KRyn
    What's the deal with Vizio? Everything I have read about them online is generally very positive, anyone have any first hand experience with them?
    They're good bang for the buck.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by rage2

They're good bang for the buck.

My brother has one and it hasn't blown up yet.

I like Vizio. They are a high-value brand and one of the VERY few companies doing full-array LED back lighting still. They also look really good physically, IMO.

That said, I would still be trying to get a Plasma before you can't anymore.

But Vizio is not even that much cheaper then lets say Samsung, Sony etc.. Wouldnt you rather pay a couple more $ for the brand name?

My Ride
    Grimace

I have been looking to pick up the 50" 4k P series as per the vizio thread. I might go look at one tonight as I keep talking myself out of it as a new tv is not a huge requirements. no 3D though but I don't really care. Low input lag and good blacks and also glass iirc.

^^^ 3D blows on TV's anyway, since your peripheral vision is not likely to be even close to encompassed by the TV, and they aren't as bright as projection can be (glasses cut out a lot of light). It looks gimmicky and is not at all immersive, IMHO. Usually though, the best 2D TV's also happen to be 3D TV's so you get it anyway haha.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I have never understood the 120 vs 240 hz debate.

Who has sources that exceed 60 Hz let alone 120Hz to see the benefit? It just means the TV is cycling the same image onto the screen more times...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

It's worth stepping into a brand name from a Vizio if it's not too much more. The 50" 4k P series Vizio is $1140 whereas you can get a 49" LG for $999 on sale. No brained in my opinion to go LG. The full array is a joke in the E and M series, in the P series the picture is actually quite good for the money. Reliability is what concerns me the most on them.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Buy another plasma while you still can, LCD TV's can't touch them for motion/sports, among other things.

If you need a TV immediately, why not just buy a plasma still? They are cheaper than ever.

sold out everywhere though?

Originally posted by JfuckinC

sold out everywhere though?
    Seems to let me add it to my cart online, I didn't go any further than that though.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's sold out, that is a bargain a lot of people overlook IMO. Everyone just goes right for the LED lit TV's and pays double for a worse picture.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by lamp_shade_2000
    It's worth stepping into a brand name from a Vizio if it's not too much more. The 50" 4k P series Vizio is $1140 whereas you can get a 49" LG for $999 on sale. No brained in my opinion to go LG. The full array is a joke in the E and M series, in the P series the picture is actually quite good for the money. Reliability is what concerns me the most on them.

You are comparing a 120hz (LG) to a 240hz (Vizio), wouldn't that make a substantial difference in picture or not so much?

You are comparing a 120hz (LG) to a 240hz (Vizio), wouldn't that make a substantial difference in picture or not so much?
    The Vizios are actually 120 Hz also, they play games with the backlight so they can claim 240Hz. LG does the same thing with their 240Hz TV's. That may have changed recently, but they have been doing that for a while now.

Most of these "fast motion" modes look like absolute ass unless you're watching animation or sports.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by killramos

Who has sources that exceed 60 Hz let alone 120Hz to see the benefit? It just means the TV is cycling the same image onto the screen more times...
    Doesn't PS4 and Xbone have 120hz output?

My Ride
    FAT tires

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Weak blacks, but for the money I'd buy that over any LED. The Samsung F8500 or F5300 are the better plasmas still kicking around, the 5300 is pentile in the 60" only so buyer beware on that particular size.

Originally posted by killramos

Motion resolution, LCD panels loose resolution on fast motion and the added refresh rate allows the LCDs to fill in the gaps and give a clear 1080p picture. However this is at expense of soap opera effect, unless black frame insertion is used but I think this is rare on anything but top end models.

Originally posted by lamp_shade_2000
    Vizio is trying to reinvent themselves as a picture quality brand, IMO if my hand was forced to buy an LED TV it would be a Vizio because of the full array local dimming.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast