Quantcast
70 plus LED/ Plasma screen for a dark theatre room - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 70 plus LED/ Plasma screen for a dark theatre room

My Ride
    97 Supra tt

Jumping off topic a bit. What is your opinion on a 70 plus LED/ Plasma screen for a dark theatre room?
    751HP HKS V-Pro, Tuned by: Justin Nenni

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

If it's dark, why not projector?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Why so angry?

1st of all, good luck finding a 70"+ Plasma. I had a tough time finding one a year ago and probably even tougher this year.

So your choices are really LED or projector.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

My vote is with a good projector you can achieve 100" and looks great in a dark room

Projector is the way to go, for under $3,000 including a screen, you'd be golden. I used to:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-tv/

http://thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/projectors/

The SONY projector is available from Amazon.com for under $2,200, pick it up in Montana along with the screen and you'd be hard pressed to spend $2500 CDN in total:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VPLHW40ES.../dp/B00JRNQNG6
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 11-22-2014 at 02:26 PM.

My Ride
    97 Supra tt

Seeing that most of you say projector. Would that still work if the room is only 12'X12'?

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-02-2020 at 11:08 PM.

Originally posted by 01RedDX

Sure, you just won't be able to achieve as big of a screen size or get a short-throw projector. Most can still do at least 90" from 10 feet.
    I agree, used to have 100 to 115 inches of screen, depending on the place I was living. Even 90 inches is a very impressive piece of real estate. At one place I was 100 inches and sitting no more than eight feet from the screen. Pure bliss.

Now I feel the need to get a projector again...

My Ride
    TECHART & Misha Design

i'm a fan of the projector too. I had a cathedral ceilings in my old house bonus room and was able to achieve a 144" screen with amazing clarity. I could see people down the street from me walking their dog and checking the score of the hockey game on my screen. pimp factor of a proper setup is better than any tv set-up I've seen

01RedDX is pretty much spot on, I looked at mounting the SONY projector with an 11' throw distance and it comes out to 91" of screen at a 16 by 9 ratio.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony...calculator.htm

IMO the clarity will not be great in such a small room. look at a TV

Projector all the way.

Carada for the screen : http://www.carada.com/

Mounts are dirt cheap.

There are projection calculators in the manuals of the projectors and also at projectorcentral.com. There are lots of PJs that will give you 90-100+ inches at ~12 feet. LCD projectors are going to get you the most lens shift and shortest throws. DLP projectors tend to be less flexible (greater throw distances and more limited lens shift). An Epson 5030, for example, can do 103" at 10ft and 120" at 12'. So you've got plenty of options for screen size. You never really want to be at the absolute maximum on either end or placement and adjustments will be a nightmare. The closer the PJ to the screen and the less zoom you need to use, the brighter the image will be.

Best possible bang for the buck is the Benq W1070, goes on sale for $5XX. Unreal projector for the price, guaranteed to impress. Epson 8350 is also a bargain under $1000. Just set up a Benq 1070 in my brother's basement on a 110" screen and you'd think it was 10X the cost.

Getting into the $2500-3500 range you start to get into projectors that can have a brighter picture than the best LED LCD and better blacks/contrast than the best plasmas, assuming a decent screen & light controlled room. The big players here are the Epson 5030UB, Sony VPL-50WES, and JVC-DLA-X35 to name a few. JVC's always has the best blacks at the expense of some brightness, Sony the quietest and lowest input lag, and Epson with the brightest image and best 3D. To most people, the Epson will look best with a crazy bright, punchy, image and great 3D.

Beyond that general range, you're wasting your money IMO. The point of diminishing return on PJ's is around $600-800 and then again around $3500. Beyond that there is little point unless you have money to burn and you're a crazy videophile.

I urge you to view the "cheap" projectors before you venture into the higher price categories, the vast majority of people are blown away by something like the Benq 1070 or Epson 8350. No need to spend more money just because someone tells you it's better or you read it's better - always see for yourself.

I use a projector in a much smaller room (8ft by 10ft), my throw distance is ~7ft, and it's a better picture than any TV I could have in the room save for an OLED. Crystal clear, deep blacks, very bright picture and razor sharp on my very modest 74" screen.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-22-2014 at 07:47 PM.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I jumped into the projector game earlier this year and purchased an Epson 3020. It has been unreal! Very easy to set up and get going. My screen size is 106" and I'd say the projector is maybe 12' away.

I'll always have a projector from here on out. It's the way to go.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
    I jumped into the projector game earlier this year and purchased an Epson 3020. It has been unreal! Very easy to set up and get going. My screen size is 106" and I'd say the projector is maybe 12' away.

I've yet to meet a single person who has seen a projector properly set up in a proper environment, and would rather have a TV in it's place haha

The technology that has been passed down is ridiculous. What you can get these days for $3000 is better than $100K projectors from not that long ago. Nice choice on the Epson 3020, great little PJ.

My Ride
    97 Supra tt

Thanks guys, Sounds like I might be getting a projector.
    Few more questions.

1) Is there any new features that I might look into getting with a new projector? Like 4K ready, etc...

2) Do you know of any places that might have Black Friday sales?

My Ride
    97 Supra tt

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

Did you get the Epson 3020e or just the 3020? If so, is it worth the extra few hundred?

If you are looking for a projector, just hang out in the TnT Pacific mall parking lot in the NE and wait around for a guy in a white van selling one.. Retail price is like 10k but you can get him down to 3 bills.. lol

Originally posted by redmethods

Did you get the Epson 3020e or just the 3020? If so, is it worth the extra few hundred?
    3020 and 3020e are the same projector, one just comes with a wireless HDMI transmitter. The wireless hdmi is IR though so there has to be somewhat line of site. If you need wireless, I'd get the 3020 and add a RF wireless HDMI kit. More reliable and should be close to the same price.

Originally posted by redmethods
    Thanks guys, Sounds like I might be getting a projector.
    Few more questions.

1) Is there any new features that I might look into getting with a new projector? Like 4K ready, etc...

2) Do you know of any places that might have Black Friday sales?
    1) Projectors especially will benefit from 4K, but at the moment they are quite expensive and there is virtually no content. You can also get a great projector for so cheap, it will make a fine interim projector until 4K is the norm and comes down in price.

2) The big box stores are your best bet for Black Friday if you're looking at more entry-level projectors - Visions, Future Shop, Best Buy, etc. Memory Express and NCIX carry the Benq W1070/Q1250. Visions carries the Epson 8350, 3020, and 5030.

You could also get a White Van projector like BensonTT suggests for much, much, less . Might burn your house down too.

This is a ridiculously good deal for anyone who doesn't need a really short throw and wants to try a projector out:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX49855

Goes on sale for under $600 sometimes.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    This is a ridiculously good deal for anyone who doesn't need a really short throw and wants to try a projector out:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX49855

Goes on sale for under $600 sometimes.
    How does refurb work with the lamp? Do you get a new one?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast