Cops Kill Guy wielding 2x4 in Vancity - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cops Kill Guy wielding 2x4 in Vancity

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Default Cops Kill Guy with 2x4 in Vancity

Police were busy this weekend....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...lice-1.2846098

Vancouver police attend to a 51-year-old man seconds after he was shot Saturday afternoon. The two-by-four lies he was using to threaten police lies near the man's body. (Ron Dunnett/YouTube)

A 51-year-old man shot by Vancouver police has died of his injuries.

Police responded to a call about_a distraught man standing in the intersection of East 41st Avenue and Knight Street waving a wooden two-by-four around and shouting loudly at around 5 p.m. PT, police said.

Passersby survey the scene of a police-involved shooting last night in East Vancouver. (CBC)

When officers arrived at the scene, police say they were confronted by the man who refused to comply with their instructions.

​In an emailed statement, Const. Brian Montague says police used non-lethal bean bag rounds in an attempt to disarm the man, "but he was eventually shot."
    Surely killing him was a last resort. 2x4s should be banned.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

Just to be a stickler, 'Cops kill guy holding 2x4' would be a less interesting, albeit more accurate, title.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

did not read, but judging by the title, events went like this.

Disturbance phoned into police.
    Police respond to find a nut job holding a chunk of 2x4
    nut job refuses to listen to orders to drop it
    nut job pulls the even stupider card of RAWR, advance on the cops with 2x4 raised
    Cops shoot em.

amiright?

They call that suicide by cop.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Default Re: Cops Kill Guy with 2x4 in Vancity

Originally posted by broken_legs
    Police were busy this weekend....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...lice-1.2846098

Surely killing him was a last resort. 2x4s should be banned.
    Fucking seriously?

Clearly we have a case of a distraught individual.... What laziness and/or thirst for aggression makes someone think it's ok to shoot a man waving a heavy stick?

I couldn't think of a "weapon" more useless than a 2x4. Slow to swing, and easy to take away. Even my mother could dodge/disarm. The encumbrance is more of a liability to the wielder, than it presents a threat to someone around them.

Will the system course-correct, or will it circle the wagons to protect a bad actor?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Default Re: Re: Cops Kill Guy with 2x4 in Vancity

Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow

Clearly we have a case of a distraught individual.... What laziness and/or thirst for aggression makes someone think it's ok to shoot a man waving a heavy stick?
    When LTL measures fail, the police just pack up and go home?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Default Re: Re: Re: Cops Kill Guy with 2x4 in Vancity

Originally posted by FraserB

When LTL measures fail, the police just pack up and go home?
    Your question is oversimplistic, and does not flatter you.

The answer is: Graduated response.

Came into this thread thinking the cops beat someone to death with a 2x4

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

To be fair I have seen cops get fucked up pretty good with a block of wood...

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I don't think anyone has enough details to know whether the shooting was warranted. They tried less lethal means which didn't work. If the guy advanced at all on the cops with the 2X4, he deserved to be shot. And really, if you continue to refuse to comply with cops when you're holding a weapon (of any sort), you run the risk of being shot.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Kloubek
    I don't think anyone has enough details to know whether the shooting was warranted. They tried less lethal means which didn't work. If the guy advanced at all on the cops with the 2X4, he deserved to be shot. And really, if you continue to refuse to comply with cops when you're holding a weapon (of any sort), you run the risk of being shot.

Even with the info we have it sounds pretty cut and dry. Threaten cops with deadly weapon they are going to be very twitchy with the trigger.

I don't understand why people rush to the "he was clearly not in his right mind" argument. That's fine for court but in the real world crazy people are just as or more dangerous than sane people. You think that just because he has issues he is incapable of busting a cop or passerby's head in?

For example if that crazy greyhound beheading guy had a knife to buddies throat do you think it would be inappropriate to shoot him and prevent him from killing the guy?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by J-D
    Came into this thread thinking the cops beat someone to death with a 2x4
    +1
    Left disappointed

My Ride
    B&W M3

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Cops Kill Guy with 2x4 in Vancity

Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow

Your question is oversimplistic, and does not flatter you.

The answer is: Graduated response.
    Doesn't LTL = graduated response? or am I just dumb?

If the 'weapon' was an axe or similar, sure the guy is dangerous... If cops cant take down a 50something yr old w/ a 2x4 without shooting him they shouldnt be doing the job, sorry. Taser him for fucks sake.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by tomt64
    If the 'weapon' was an axe or similar, sure the guy is dangerous... If cops cant take down a 50something yr old w/ a 2x4 without shooting him they shouldnt be doing the job, sorry. Taser him for fucks sake.
    So let's just say, for the sake of argument, that some guy comes running at you swinging a big club which, if it were to connect with your head, could very well kill you. (And yes, a 2X4 IS a weapon. Just not likely as lethal as a bladed weapon)

Are you going to say... hey, wait... let me use a taser which may or may not work (and the cop may or may not have had in their possession), or are you going to defend yourself with the weapon you posses that you KNOW is going to save you?

I'll tell you this - if some guy starts attacking me with a 2X4 while I have my shotgun, he isn't going to be standing for very long.

People as so quick to jump on the cops. And I'm not even saying this was justified. However, on the flip side, nobody can really say yet whether it was NOT justified either.

And as far as the guy being 51 - that doesn't necessarily mean much. There are plenty of fit and strong middle aged men.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

Well I Wood have done the same
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

He probably didn't cedar cops and went over board.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Originally posted by Kloubek

So let's just say, for the sake of argument, that some guy comes running at you swinging a big club which, if it were to connect with your head, could very well kill you. (And yes, a 2X4 IS a weapon. Just not likely as lethal as a bladed weapon)

Are you going to say... hey, wait... let me use a taser which may or may not work (and the cop may or may not have had in their possession), or are you going to defend yourself with the weapon you posses that you KNOW is going to save you?

I'll tell you this - if some guy starts attacking me with a 2X4 while I have my shotgun, he isn't going to be standing for very long.

People as so quick to jump on the cops. And I'm not even saying this was justified. However, on the flip side, nobody can really say yet whether it was NOT justified either.

And as far as the guy being 51 - that doesn't necessarily mean much. There are plenty of fit and strong middle aged men.
    Thank christ you arent a cop.

You think the cops were standing close to him? Give me a break. They keep their space and should have no problem being able to pull a taser when/if charged upon. These guys are trained, you think his guy was trained in the art of using a 2x4 as a weapon?
    Im nornally one to side with police, but come on a fucking 2x4. The guys more likely to splinter his hands than connect with a cop using one as a weapon.

If the guy was wearing a thick coat, a taser wouldn't work. The article said that beanbags didn't work either.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Uh, isn't pulling a taser considering the same thing as pulling a gun? One just has a chance of not killing the person.

Tom, what exactly do you want the cops to do? The man wasn't a threat to police, he was a threat to PEOPLE. Should they just follow him (at over 30 feet, as it takes less time for an average male to cover 21 feet with a knife than to be shot) until he finds somebody to start beating with a 2x4? What happens if he gets in a vehicle? What what what what...

The police are called in to control a situation. The dude doesn't just eventually get to go "my bad, Imma head out now" and leave. If the guy is a threat to anyone, he better put down his weapon and come quietly, OR ELSE YOU DIE.

Thems the rules.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

They should have fired plank shots to scare him first.
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast