Calgary Flames New Arena Update - Page 51 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 51 of 73 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1450

Thread: Calgary Flames New Arena Update

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can pretty well guarantee you absolutely fucking no one decides on where to lived based on the presence of an NHL team, or any other pro sports team.
    What about the team itself, paying for physio, medical, catering, direct jobs, alcohol, taxes, airport fees. Then add sponsorships and foundations (charities etc). Then add in the big nights when the teams go out and spend big money in local venues. Then their massive homes with a bunch of purchases, where do you think they get all that from and who gets to pay sales and property taxes on that?

I can tell you that the team itself is a pretty major injection of cash into the city. Not saying it makes up for the 500 mil but it certainly makes a difference and is often overlooked
    Last edited by OTown; 01-05-2022 at 04:12 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    I voted for Hallelujah

A fucking inanimate carbon rod would be better than what we have.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Genuine question. Would it be better if Calgary builds an arena/entertainment centre and long term lease out the space to CSEC and concert promoters similar to the current arrangement? That way it's not directly funding a private business, but CSEC will get a better deal out of it.
    For me, I would support this if the economics made sense. If Calgary could not recoup the cost of the investment in a reasonable amount of time(no idea what sort of term is acceptable in commercial real estate), then I would be supportive. Not sure why the CSEC would get a better deal out of it though. Was there some other proposal I'm missing? I would imagine the lease costs would need to go up and have a firm commitment of 20 years or whatever to ensure that CoC isn't taking a bath on it. I'd expect the devil is in the details for this arrangement which is why it's not going forward. I doubt all the braindead people at the CoC will be able to book the venue consistently with large paying acts thus never paying off the investment and they don't want to take on that risk.

EDIT: Removed my shitty idea.
    Last edited by npham; 01-05-2022 at 04:20 PM.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post

LOL I was just about to say could you image the time/cost/headache for the City of Calgary to manage and run the place. Hahahha. 10% property tax hike here we come.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by OTown View Post
    Yep. Were no better than the Torontonias, Montrealais or Vancouverites that vote for Trudeau year after year expecting something different. Its laughable, actually.
    Those places vote for Turdeau because they aren’t expecting anything different…

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    For me, I would support this if the economics made sense. If Calgary could not recoup the cost of the investment in a reasonable amount of time(no idea what sort of term is acceptable in commercial real estate), then I would be supportive. Not sure why the CSEC would get a better deal out of it though. Was there some other proposal I'm missing? I would imagine the lease costs would need to go up and have a firm commitment of 20 years or whatever to ensure that CoC isn't taking a bath on it. I'd expect the devil is in the details for this arrangement which is why it's not going forward. I doubt all the braindead people at the CoC will be able to book the venue consistently with large paying acts thus never paying off the investment and they don't want to take on that risk.

There are some publicly available data (in a different market) to show what market value looks like for renting an arena for an NHL team. The mess that's the Arizona Coyotes has all their dirty laundry aired out so these figures are public information. They pay about $3m USD per year in rent at Gila River Arena ($500k/year plus $55k/game operating expenses), plus misc expenses such as parking sales. Let's generously round that up to $5m CAD. The new arena costs $650m at the latest estimates before it was terminated. At market rates, it would take 130 years to pay it off, assuming there is nobody else to pay that much for the other times the arena is available. That's much longer than the shelf life of any arena. Now, if we had 3 pro sports team that's willing to pay that, it's a more reasonable 43 years. Calgary is a LONG ways from that happening.

Why is this a better deal for the flames? Because the latest agreement had the CSEC pay $346.5m for 35 year lease, or $9.9m/year.

This is why no private company would invest in an arena 100% in Calgary. It's a money losing proposition as the economics doesn't make sense in Calgary with the inability to secure high rent value at 90%+ utilization. The city is in a tough position with the Saddledome falling apart (if the $200m roof repair report is legit). The city isn't in the business of making money from their investments. It's in the business of allocating tax dollars to make life better for Calgarians, and hopefully getting the most bang for the buck. Circling back to the City paying 100%, there is a bright side. Leasing it out for 35 years to CSEC at $5m will net them $175m, while the building will be open for public use like the library majority of the time, which will make Calgarians feel better about their tax dollars. Underlying numbers though are rough, at a cost of $475m for the city. The numbers doesn't make sense considering the cost criticism of our library lol.

I think CSEC knows the city is in a tough spot and has more leverage than they do. This will end up with them getting a better deal at some point, and Gondek looking like a bigger idiot costing the city way more money.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Flames will get thier deal, I have no doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

There are some publicly available data (in a different market) to show what market value looks like for renting an arena for an NHL team. The mess that's the Arizona Coyotes has all their dirty laundry aired out so these figures are public information. They pay about $3m USD per year in rent at Gila River Arena ($500k/year plus $55k/game operating expenses), plus misc expenses such as parking sales. Let's generously round that up to $5m CAD. The new arena costs $650m at the latest estimates before it was terminated. At market rates, it would take 130 years to pay it off, assuming there is nobody else to pay that much for the other times the arena is available. That's much longer than the shelf life of any arena. Now, if we had 3 pro sports team that's willing to pay that, it's a more reasonable 43 years. Calgary is a LONG ways from that happening.

Why is this a better deal for the flames? Because the latest agreement had the CSEC pay $346.5m for 35 year lease, or $9.9m/year.

This is why no private company would invest in an arena 100% in Calgary. It's a money losing proposition as the economics doesn't make sense in Calgary with the inability to secure high rent value at 90%+ utilization. The city is in a tough position with the Saddledome falling apart (if the $200m roof repair report is legit). The city isn't in the business of making money from their investments. It's in the business of allocating tax dollars to make life better for Calgarians, and hopefully getting the most bang for the buck. Circling back to the City paying 100%, there is a bright side. Leasing it out for 35 years to CSEC at $5m will net them $175m, while the building will be open for public use like the library majority of the time, which will make Calgarians feel better about their tax dollars. Underlying numbers though are rough, at a cost of $475m for the city. The numbers doesn't make sense considering the cost criticism of our library lol.

I think CSEC knows the city is in a tough spot and has more leverage than they do. This will end up with them getting a better deal at some point, and Gondek looking like a bigger idiot costing the city way more money.

Gondek:

We will build our own arena, with blackjack and hookers!
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ndek-1.6305280
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

Pay the players less

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I guess city lost all their leverage lol.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

"There are still many interested parties … that want to see this move forward."

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Jesus, if the flames won't pay half, we'll make them pay . . . less? Wicked negotiating!
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    translation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyoti Gondek
    Funding Secured
    Last edited by killramos; 01-05-2022 at 06:40 PM.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

"funding secured" lol.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Really hoping the province comes through with some recall legislation, and maybe shredding the city charter to take any authority away from these poorly trained chimps
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It would be Uber hilarious if we tried to recall Gondek before chu

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    I think Gondek is sewering her political career very quickly.

Lets look at her resume in her few short months as Mayor.
    1) Declares Climate emergency
    2) Created significant division between the city and CPS
    3) Created significant division with city council
    4) Went rogue and sewered a $600million infrastructure project which was the lynch pin holding together an entire East Side revitilization

She's exactly the Mayor Calgarians deserve.
    Speaking of which. Don’t forget the “I refuse to swear in” stunt with Chu

fact.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Gon down in Flames?

. Circling back to the City paying 100%, there is a bright side. Leasing it out for 35 years to CSEC at $5m will net them $175m, while the building will be open for public use like the library majority of the time, which will make Calgarians feel better about their tax dollars. Underlying numbers though are rough, at a cost of $475m for the city. The numbers doesn't make sense considering the cost criticism of our library lol.
    The deal as set up had:

City paying ~$310M
    CSEC paying ~$310M

CSEC taking on cost overruns (originally it was an even split, unless overruns were caused by only one side wanting something different. But this was part of the deal that saw the city give up CMLC as project manager)

CSEC would get a 35 year lease of the arena management contract and a “ticket tax” (or whatever they’re calling it) would contribute to ~$150M to the city, plus $2.5M from naming rights.

A long term lease was always a part of the deal. Your deal has the city paying hundreds of millions more for nothing extra in return.

A deal structured around the city taking on the construction risk, and increasing CSECs payments through the lease life (I.e $15M/year, so CSECs contribution would work out roughly the same, they just don’t need to take on the large initial capital financing) would be closer to the structure of Edmonton’s deal (Katz pays a lot less of a portion of the Rogers Place cost) but that means the city has to find a lot more money to take on that construction risk.
    Last edited by kertejud2; 01-05-2022 at 08:16 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Sounds like a financial slam dunk

fact.

My Ride
    ute

how about the city does city things, and the entertainment companies do entertainment things.

ffs this isn't that complicated.

Page 51 of 73 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 61 ... LastLast