Quantcast
Calgary Flames New Arena Update - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 73 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Flames New Arena Update

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

There's no room for parking. They can't go that far underground due to location.

Thanks a lot benyl for posting for me.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by killramos
    Considering the stadium is supposed to be a playground for the rich and the famous not letting people park at the stadium seems an enormous oversight.
    I think it's simply so they don't have to worry about changing much infrastructure in the area. Imagine that area with a few thousand people on the road. Yikes

Originally posted by Xtrema

Commerical/Condo/Business park plus UC expansion would be great for that location.
    Agreed. Even a proper parkade would generate more income that you would ever imagine.

Originally posted by benyl

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    So they front less than a quarter of the cost?

I take it that the taxes means the city puts up the money now and hopes to recover it over an unspecified amount of time?

Wow what a deal.

How about they front that money and charge what they think is a fair price for their tickets and take the risk on their end?

And nothing includes the cost of the land. Do they think they should get it for free and cleaned up on top of that? I'd say it's fair that they get it for 0$, but the cleanup cost lands on their feet then. Again they aren't taking any risk on that side.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I haven't taken transit to a hockey or football game in years. I see this as a huge problem.

imo if there is no room for adequate parking there is no room for the stadium
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Considering the stadium is supposed to be a playground for the rich and the famous not letting people park at the stadium seems an enormous oversight.
    ballers are driven to events or use valet.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Nitro5

ballers are driven to events or use valet.
    There are no cabs in Calgary and even a valet service has to put the cars somewhere

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I take it that the taxes means the city puts up the money now and hopes to recover it over an unspecified amount of time?

Wow what a deal.

How about they front that money and charge what they think is a fair price for their tickets and take the risk on their end?

And nothing includes the cost of the land. Do they think they should get it for free and cleaned up on top of that? I'd say it's fair that they get it for 0$, but the cleanup cost lands on their feet then. Again they aren't taking any risk on that side.
    Correct. Ken King is blocking the view, but the center says City Asset. The entire project will be owned by the city. He didn't address the revenue sharing aspects or the rental costs (I wasn't able to get that question in), I'm going to guess it's a similar arrangement that they've had with the Saddledome over the years (free rent, maintain place, take revenue).

Again, the land will continue to be owned by the city. This project once complete will be owned by the city. It's not much different than the Edmonton project, except there's a lot more stuff that can be used by the public.

There was no pricetag on creosote cleanup, as they have no idea today how much it will cost. That's not included in the $890m number.

Apparently, the city is indemnified on cleanup there by the province until the city builds on top of it. That's why they're building around the contamination and not moving roads.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Valet and Limo.

There are no cabs in Calgary and even a valet service has to put the cars somewhere
    Drive it back into the core. Tons of parking there.

1/6 if clean up comes in at $300M last estimated. I'm sure the city will take the blunt of that. The slide deck has all the keywords Nenshi likes.

Ticket tax means user pays. I have not problem with that.

$200M for Stadium, I have no problem with that either if we replace McMahon with something multi use.

The remaining "CRL" $250M will have to come from Fed/Provincal governments I assume and that will be a tough sell.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-18-2015 at 01:54 PM.

My Ride
    2005 F350

I always take LRT when I go to games or the Stampede. transit is not a problem for me. hopefully this gets approval soon!
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Clear roof + nearby highrise condos = free hockey games ?
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by adamc
    Clear roof + nearby highrise condos = free hockey games ?
    Football games. Event Center where hockey plays won't have a clear roof.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

So question to all here. Does anyone know any ballers in Calgary who regularly use limos and/or private drivers to get around? Particularly outside of business use?

'Cause I sure as hell don't.

Any statistics on how many people actually take transit to the games?

fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Football games is a partial clear roof as well. KK referenced this as a similar design:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Bank_Stadium

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

So question to all here. Does anyone know any ballers in Calgary who regularly use limos and/or private drivers to get around? Particularly outside of business use?

I'm a wannabe baller, and because of the lack of parking access at McMahon I took a limo there for the Winter Classic. I don't watch football so I dunno if I would do that on a regular basis.

With that being said, this place is a 10 min walk from my office, and a 1 minute car ride, so most likely I'll be cabbing it there, or doing the 1 stop on LRT which drops me right back at my office.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Ticket tax means user pays. I have not problem with that.

$200M for Stadium, I have no problem with that either if we replace McMahon with something multi use.

The remaining "CRL" $250M will have to come from Fed/Provincal governments I assume and that will be a tough sell.
    Only problem is, like the Edmonton setup, the ticket tax and the CRL will come from loans through city/provincial dollars.

Ticket tax is user pay, I'm ok with that. I'm not a fan of CRL, as the tax increase to cover the CRL can be used for many things. It all depends on if the city finds value in an extra rink there for public use. I'm not counting the fieldhouse as an incentive, as that's squarely city money of $200m that's going there. So realistically, there's a $240m CRL in place with public benefits of an extra city rink, and better concerts. It's a big number for such a small gain.

The big thing that I'm happy about is that the ownership group is coughing up $200m, where as Katz only coughed up $24m (not a typo).

So if we break it all down...

- $200m (assuming cash from flames ownership group unless there's creative accounting here)

- $200m city pays for a part time/almost full time fieldhouse, which also doubles as a CFL arena when needed, which the city has allocated but not budgeted/prioritized.

- $240m CRL, or property tax increases in surrounding areas funded by residents/businesses in the area including this project itself.

- $250m ticket tax, or a long term loan from the city/province. If we calculate 20k capacity, over a span of 10 years, it's $1250 per seat per season, or $30.50 per game per seat.

then we aren't a world class city™

My Ride
    Horse

Personally I'm not all that keen on large international events such as Olympics, etc. They don't have any net benefit for the host and cost a lot of money.
    I just want to pick out this sentence in your argument because while it is true that many places see no net benefit from holding large events, a prime example being Sochi, Calgary is the posterchild for places that do.

Calgary had a net surplus for the '88 Olympics which led to WinSport Canada, a world-class winter sports venue within city limits.

I don't get why they would go with a no parking setup with our transit system the way it currently is. I guess they're only concerned with selling tickets and not actually having anyone go to the games.

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

Originally posted by xnvy
    I don't get why they would go with a no parking setup with our transit system the way it currently is. I guess they're only concerned with selling tickets and not actually having anyone go to the games.
    Maybe it was an easy way of not committing to fixing the Crowchild bridge fuckshow and the rest of the traffic in the area. "Just take the train!" Done.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I have been counting parking spaces around the saddle dome. And holy fuck boys there is alot of parking available for flames games. I'm at about 1800 spaces just looking at the parking structure and around it, the two big lots north of the saddle dome. Not even looking at the interior of the grounds, the dirt lots beside and a few blocks north, the southeast side of the stadium etc.

There is easily parking for more than 10,000 cars in and around the stadium. And it gets pretty damn full to!

That being said i don't think it is anywhere near unreasonable to make the statement that currently at least half of the attendance of a flames game arrives by car.

But somehow we think our crippled transit system is capable of taking 90%+ of the future even larger stadium?

Anyone who has taken the train to a flames game. Picture twice as many people wanting to take the train with you. Oh yea, and the system isnt getting any better in the 5 years it will take for this to open.

fact.

Page 10 of 73 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast