Quantcast
Holy Shit I think I beat Rage2 to a Mercedes Post - CLA45 AMG Shooting Brake! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Holy Shit I think I beat Rage2 to a Mercedes Post - CLA45 AMG Shooting Brake!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Default Holy Shit I think I beat Rage2 to a Mercedes Post - CLA45 AMG Shooting Brake!

New CLA45 announced!

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/m...led-2014-11-25

Pity those poor souls over at AMG. The company still holds its ‘one man, one engine' philosophy to heart, and now it appears some overtime is required. Ladies and gentlemen, meet the new Mercedes-Benz CLA 45 AMG.

Quite a moniker, but it's quite a lot of car. It's the fastest, most powerful version of the brand new Mercedes-Benz CLA Shooting Brake; essentially the estate version of the baby CLA saloon.

And because it's spun off the A-Class platform - like its A 45 AMG, CLA 45 AMG and GLA 45 AMG brothers - it gets the world's most powerful production four-cylinder engine.

You'll of course know it by heart now: a 2.0-litre turbo packing a whopping 360bhp and 331lb ft of torque, with a seven-speed DCT
    gearbox and ‘fully-variable' four-wheel-drive (a front-driver for most of the time, switching to a 50:50 torque split front/rear when required).

Strapped into this swoopy-small-estate body, that engine's good for a 0-62mph time of just 4.7 seconds and a limited top speed of 155mph. If you're concerned about such things, it emits 161g/km. We suspect you might not be.

It's quite an engine, related to the 4.0-litre twin-turbo V8 in the new AMG GT and recipient of two ‘Engine of the Year Awards 2014'. Technically then, it's just like the A45 and CLA 45 underneath.

But on the outside you'll see it wears its Shooting Brake body well, Mercedes telling us it wants to be like big brother CLS Shooting Brake. Squint, and it's the stubbier little sibling. The AMG of course gets the twin exhaust pipes, spoilers, aprons, AMG lettering, aggressive bodykit and bigger wheels.

Of course, you can buy a non-AMG CLA Shooting Brake, a car that Merc's design chief Gordon Wagener reckons is "a whole new class of vehicle". There's the option of the 2.1-litre diesel in 136bhp and 177bhp guises, as well as two petrol engines with three power outputs. The 1.6-litre gets 122bhp and 156bhp versions, while the bigger 2.0-litre comes in 211bhp flavour. In the A-Class, this last engine is a cracker.

All CLA Shooting Brakes come of course, with that extra payload at the rear: 495 litres with the seats up, 1354 litres with the rear seats folded down. You can even spec a ‘cargo' position that allows space for five and 595 litres of boot.

As ever, the interior appointments all look top notch, with the capacity to option everything Mercedes-Benz will sell you, from better leather, more electronic assists to brain-numbing audio. Oh, and a choice of colour schemes that'll beggar belief.

The CLA 45 AMG will debut at next year's Geneva motor show. It seems to suit this bodystyle more than the saloon, we feel.

Is this the baby AMG you'd take, or would you just have a Golf R estate and be done with it?
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

This car looks amazing! I always thought the back of the CLA was its weak point. I would order one in a heartbeat.

Inbeforeitsnotcomingtonorthamerica

Had to try to type this quick so i dont get beat by rage lol

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Wow, I would totally pic one up. MBCanada, bring this here!

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I see no chance of this thing coming here. I would buy one. If they were going to bring it then why not the A45, shut up and take my money.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea it really satisfies a niche. I have the M235i /M3 whenever i upgrade for summers and then a nice small estate for winter.

And probably coming in ~60-65 loaded? Sign me up!

Basically its a longer A. Which is great.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

That looks really nice. I'm not a fan of the rear of the CLA, but this flows nicely.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

100% yes. Love wagons, and this one looks great
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Honestly with the population and regulations of the UK versus mainland Europe/Germany i am surprised they get as many models as they do compared to us. I mean honestly there has to be additional cost in designing a RHD model for that backwards island . They even get better versions of Subaru's and those are made in Japan...

And we pay through the nose for shipping our cars already so that isn't the issue...

Just on this forum with 100 views we have 4-5 people who would buy one (unless they are all keyboard warrior ballers). And there is no market to ship one over? They could even just pull a golf R and make it 500 cars. That's $2,500,000 in potential profits (assuming $5,000 per car) not to mention this is an ENTRY LEVEL amg and will encourage buyers to move up to the C63 or SL63's in the future. Heck they could even make it a BTO option exclusively. They would still sell every damn one.

Somehow i think the business model is there...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

A year and 4 days ago...

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/mercedes...86#post4213186

I love this thing, but the GLA45 is a little more practical, offering better rear legroom. The rear of the CLA is REALLY tight. Tough to choose between a hatchback and a wagon, realistically though, this won't be coming here.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by killramos
    Just on this forum with 100 views we have 4-5 people who would buy one (unless they are all keyboard warrior ballers). And there is no market to ship one over? They could even just pull a golf R and make it 500 cars. That's $2,500,000 in potential profits (assuming $5,000 per car) not to mention this is an ENTRY LEVEL amg and will encourage buyers to move up to the C63 or SL63's in the future. Heck they could even make it a BTO option exclusively. They would still sell every damn one.

Maybe when the CETA goes through for 2016 we'll see better models available as well as prices? Hopefully.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by rage2
    A year and 4 days ago...

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/mercedes...86#post4213186
    Damn i knew i was wrong. You got the spy photos, i got the announcement.

Call it even?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Fair enough.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Exploded.

Honestly with the population and regulations of the UK versus mainland Europe/Germany i am surprised they get as many models as they do compared to us. I mean honestly there has to be additional cost in designing a RHD model for that backwards island . They even get better versions of Subaru's and those are made in Japan...

And we pay through the nose for shipping our cars already so that isn't the issue...

LOLWAT. I wish the market was that easy to solve.

SUV's are dominating the market here in the Americas and that's why the manufacturers are capitalizing on it. Why would I waste resources making fanboys happy when I cash in on something like the GLA?

Wagons are a niche market.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

GLA's are selling like hot cakes because it's an "SUV" when in reality it's an A45 hatchback, slightly different bodywork to be off road friendly, with a lifted suspension by a whopping inch and a half.

Everyone is doing that now. HR-V, Fiat 500X, lifting hatchbacks and calling the SUV's actually works for sales. Go figure.

The CLA shooting brake would never sell here, unless they lifted it up, and called it a SAV or whatever the fuck BMW calls their X4 X6 5 series GT cars.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I thought a "shooting brake" was supposed to be a two door wagon? Or is everyone just going to start calling station wagons shooting brakes now because North America hates station wagons.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Re: Holy Shit I think I beat Rage2 to a Mercedes Post - CLA45 AMG Shooting Brake!

Holy Shit I think I beat Rage2 to a Mercedes Post - CLA45 AMG Shooting Brake!
    New CLA45 announced!

Had to try to type this quick so i dont get beat by rage lol
    A year and 4 days ago...
    That's why he's the bawsss.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Exploded.

GLA's are selling like hot cakes because it's an "SUV" when in reality it's an A45 hatchback, slightly different bodywork to be off road friendly, with a lifted suspension by a whopping inch and a half.

Everyone is doing that now. HR-V, Fiat 500X, lifting hatchbacks and calling the SUV's actually works for sales. Go figure.

The CLA shooting brake would never sell here, unless they lifted it up, and called it a SAV or whatever the fuck BMW calls their X4 X6 5 series GT cars.
    Ugh that 500X is ugly and it's selling?!

Look at the CTS-V wagon. Every car guy wanted one but since they only released a few, the price tag was high and you see it once in a while in Calgary.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    I thought a "shooting brake" was supposed to be a two door wagon? Or is everyone just going to start calling station wagons shooting brakes now because North America hates station wagons.
    I feel like we had a lengthy discussion about this here...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

They dont even call the X5 an SUV, its all SAV with them.

The GLA is nice to, but i like my cars lower .

Oh well i can dream... Maybe i will just have the buy a boat of an E

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Go look at the GLA45 in person. It's actually really low and nothing like a SUV.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Go look at the GLA45 in person. It's actually really low and nothing like a SUV.
    Do they have one at Lone Star? Also no point looking at the 250. I sat in the CLA250 at the auto show as wasn't impressed.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Mercedes styling considers to do nothing for me for the last 30 years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast