Quantcast
Pup has separation anxiety out of nowhere, Houdinis out of crate, wont go to bed. Ide - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pup has separation anxiety out of nowhere, Houdinis out of crate, wont go to bed. Ide

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Default Pup has separation anxiety out of nowhere, Houdinis out of crate, wont go to bed. Ide

Sigh.

So we've had her for about 2 months now and she has been wonderful. We suspect she is almost 6 months old, (rescue so we don't really know).

We introduced her to a crate very slowly and she was already sleeping in one quite well at the foster home. It went over fairly well and we don't use it for punishment. We sometimes put her in it for 10-20 minutes, even if we are at home, with the idea that she will get more comfortable and the crate does not necessarily mean long periods of time alone.

For the first 6 weeks, she slept through the whole night in the crate, no problems.

Suddenly over the last few nights, as soon as turn the lights off and go upstairs, she cries, howls, barks non-stop. We do not go downstairs to address anything as we don't want her to learn that she can get our attention by behaving this way. But she is relentless regardless and has cried for 7 straight hours (midnight to 7am) 2 nights in a row. Shes getting stronger too. She has managed to get out of her crate 3 times in 2 days and caused chaos while I'm at work. ( I take her to work with me most days, when I can). I have zip tied all the panels on the crate so we'll see how she fares in her next attempt.

Its obvious that I am not fulfilling something regarding her needs. She is getting long walks and lots of play time. Shes my first pup. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need some sleep!

Heres the ass hat btw,

Last edited by cycosis; 11-28-2014 at 06:19 PM.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

You didn't say what type of crate you have. If you have the plastic ones they are no good and you want the wire ones. Also make sure the crate is not too big for her and that she has just enough room. Oh and put something that smells like you in her crate and see if that helps too.

Start socializing her.. take her to doggy daycare and to dog parks.

And during the day when you can place her in the kennel with a treat to distract her and leave the house. Do this in 5-10 minute intervals and make them progressively longer to allow her to realize that its ok to be alone and you won't abandon her...

And like you already said... don't give into her as that shows bad behavior. But at the same time get up and see if she may have to go to the bathroom.. especially being a puppy.
    Last edited by firebane; 11-28-2014 at 05:40 PM.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

When I got my dog years ago she cried everytime she was confined to her crate. (She's a Pomeranian.) Just kept ignoring her cries and she refused to stop. What I found worked, was to put her in her crate and sit with her while I read or watched TV, etc. so she knew that it didn't mean being alone. I would even leave the door open and after awhile she willingly went in there and wouldn't cry at all.

Now, it's her "safe spot" where she goes on her own accord whenever she wants to sleep or gets in trouble. It's important to know that I don't use her crate as punishment, but if she retreats there after being bad I maintain that as her safe spot and she will come out on her own when she's ready to be good again. Try giving your pup a treat to chew while she's in her crate, if she brings it out, take it away and put it back in there until she stays? Just a couple ideas that helped me.

My Ride

Wire crate, has a blanket and her favourite stuffy in there. We also give her a kong with a pinch of peanut butter in the crate to distract her when we go to bed.

She starts pup classes in january due to our work schedule but already goes to the pup park and gets along fairly well with dogs she meets.

While we do rent a house, its not ideal as its tiny. Her crate is in the mud room which we have setup as her confinement area. She also has her dog bowl and water there. Theres just no room in the living room/kitchen as thats the whole main level.

Just really boggles my mind that we went 6 weeks with no issues and all of a sudden she sounds like the world is ending.
    Last edited by cycosis; 11-28-2014 at 06:24 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Being in the mud room is a major isolation area for her and she probably doesn't like. She may also get cold at night. What are the temperatures in that room?

I would be finding elsewhere to put even in your room if that can be possible.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

We tried the same thing. Didn't work. Finally we gave up and and just put her bed down on the floor beside ours. Never had a problem since. 9 years later, she's got a dog bed on every floor, and she retreats to them to have a nap or when we eat.

Some dogs just don't like the crate thing. Gracie absolutely hated it. As soon as we got rid of it we started getting a full nights sleep.

Also SUPER happy we trained her that dogs stay on the floor. No issues with couches/beds etc...

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by codetrap
    We tried the same thing. Didn't work. Finally we gave up and and just put her bed down on the floor beside ours. Never had a problem since. 9 years later, she's got a dog bed on every floor, and she retreats to them to have a nap or when we eat.

Some dogs just don't like the crate thing. Gracie absolutely hated it. As soon as we got rid of it we started getting a full nights sleep.

Also SUPER happy we trained her that dogs stay on the floor. No issues with couches/beds etc...
    Yes dogs should remain on the floor and only be allowed "up" if invited. It should be a treat not a privledge and saves the wear on tear on EVERYTHING.

My Ride
    '11 Tundra TRD

I tried wire crates with my Husky and trust me, she always found a way to push/pry and get that thing apart. I personally use a good plastic one that the locks can be banged around to open.
    Takes time but as stated, reinforcing that the crate is a good safe place is huge deal, try the crate in the bedroom or even just leave it open in the bedroom while you're asleep with the blanket in there.

My Ride
    Cummins F10

I'd try more exercise before bed brennon.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    The criteria for being a Beyond Baller is simply knowing you are one.
    Deleted F10 535d
    My hybrid burns Diesel & Oil

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Our dog Brenna was doing this. We (foolishly) had a canvas crate as the first crate. She eventually destroyed it and now we have a wire crate. No problems since with getting out.

As far as crate training goes, what we did with Brenna was give her treats to her exclusively in the crate. The command is "go to your crate", she goes in and sits, and we give her the treat. Now when we put her there overnight she doesn't make a peep.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I have had no issues with crating any of my past dogs.

Give the crate a name. for me it was "bed". If one of the dogs were bad, or needed to settle down, or whatever, the command was "Sasha, in your bed!". The door of the wire crate was always open, and only a blanket was in it.

Don't put toys in there, keep it as their safe zone. If kids come over, or things get loud, they need to be able to go somewhere, and if they learn there is safe, they will go there to escape. If you can put it in the living room or the bed room just so that they don't feel too isolated, all the better.

But use the "in your bed" command often. And don't let them come out until you call them if you are the one that sent them. If they go in on their own, they are free to leave on their own.

But this is separation anxiety. Just let the pup be in an area you frequent for awhile, and then slowly transition back to normal.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I do exactly as spikers does only we call it her "house."

If we say "Miikka, go in your house" she knows exactly where to retreat to.

My Ride

Well we took it apart, scrubbed each panel thoroughly, moved the crate under the kitchen table (no longer in mud room) and put a new bed in it. Success!

Now she has access to it to go freely in and out as she pleases through out the day (which she has been doing).

I love sleep

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Adrenaline101
    I tried wire crates with my Husky and trust me, she always found a way to push/pry and get that thing apart.
    Hahaha, yeah that's same as our sib.husky. Even being in the crate right next to our bed, he'd whine and whimper the whole night. Fucker destroyed 1 plastic crate, 2 metal wire ones and broke at least one tooth before we finally gave up and let him roam the house freely.

He also doesn't like being in closed rooms... ate right through a door in our old rental while we were out

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

This crating business what fore..my dog is a free range dog.
    Like Brian.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride

My pup is totally fine with his crate, the ex-pen is a WHOLE different story though. Unfortunately, he's still pretty young so hasn't earned our trust to roam free in the house yet....

I'm glad that you found a way that both you and your pup are happy. She's adorable, by the way

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by cycosis
    Well we took it apart, scrubbed each panel thoroughly, moved the crate under the kitchen table (no longer in mud room) and put a new bed in it. Success!

Now she has access to it to go freely in and out as she pleases through out the day (which she has been doing).

I love sleep
    Good to hear! I have a feeling it was the mud room making her feel too isolated and once you moved the crate to a warmer place and not so isolated she feels better

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

my guess is the under the table thing helps... those wire crates have too much light coming in and they cant keep an eye on everything at once, usually draping a blanket over them helps

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by ercchry
    my guess is the under the table thing helps... those wire crates have too much light coming in and they cant keep an eye on everything at once, usually draping a blanket over them helps
    Until they drag it inside through the wires, and chew it into a squillion pieces.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Place her in the crate with the door open throughout the evening. Let her know she can go in and out. Also moving it to a room where you're in so she feels a part of the family helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast