Quantcast
Alberta: Sales Tax - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What should the Province do to make up for low oil Prices?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Small Provincial Sales Tax

13 9.15%
  • Slash and cut the budget

57 40.14%
  • Sell and Privatize parts of the government

15 10.56%
  • Put a Toll on the highway between Calgary and Edmonton

8 5.63%
  • Larger Provincial Sales Tax + Reduce Income Tax

22 15.49%
  • Do Nothing, use the Heritage Fund to ride this out

27 19.01%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Alberta: Sales Tax

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Funny so many people here are so excited to take away other peoples money.

Wait. No its not. Thats pretty normal for people to vote to take shit from rich people and give it to themselves.

Cant wait till AB gets its own version of the EBT card.

I voted "balance" the budget. But i guess thats crazy.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by Toma

Not at all, but numbers don't lie.

And even if I paid 100%, its far less than a a guy making $1million pays 25%.

And a graduated tax is most fair, since a person making $60k a year spends 95% of their income to live, and a person making $20,000,000 a year saves 95%.

And it's spending that drives our type of economy.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

This pretty much sums it up for me as well.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

I say go over all spending, cut the excess fat and use the heritage fund if need be. The whole point of the heritage fund is to cover our losses during dips in the value of our primary resource, which we know fluctuates. That's why its there. Now we have a dip and people are hesitant to use the fund for it's intended purpose.

It's there because everyone knows if you kick in additional taxes during a lull the chances of getting it removed once things pick up is slim to none. A permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Use the fund if need be. This kind of situation is the precise reason it's there.

If that won't happen, then I vote luxury tax. The average debt of Canadians is a big problem. I make the same as a co-worker yet he lives in an exclusive neighborhood with 1500 more square feet than me. Drives a more expensive car. Has debt out his wazoo. A luxury tax will generate more revenue AND serve another purpose of of getting debt spenders to rethink how they piss their money away. Would solve a major long term problem. I would be OK with keeping a luxury tax permanently even.

I don't understand why people think consumption/luxury tax is better. Why punish people who spend? Spending is good for the economy - it moves money around and allows businesses to grow.

What good is it when a guy making 250k a year puts away 200k? these well off people should continue to spend to stimulate the economy (or tax them a bit higher so that the gov't can spend it)

If they absolutely need more revenue then I would be totally against pst/luxury tax

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think its funny how people think that raising income taxes is stupid because the rich will dodge them anyways, but a sales tax will be perfect.

Because no one has ever found a way to dodge sales taxes..

Has anyone ever been to BC?

The number of cars and trailers sold there for a book value of $1 is astonishing!

HST almost completely sunk their government there. Similar to what a PST would do in Alberta.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Originally posted by sabad66
    I don't understand why people think consumption/luxury tax is better. Why punish people who spend? Spending is good for the economy - it moves money around and allows businesses to grow.

What good is it when a guy making 250k a year puts away 200k? these well off people should continue to spend to stimulate the economy (or tax them a bit higher so that the gov't can spend it)

If they absolutely need more revenue then I would be totally against pst/luxury tax
    Sales taxes are more efficient. Easier to track which leads to less administration costs and a more predictable rate of return as it turns out people don't go full turtle and stop spending when presented with a sales tax. Income taxes lead to both people AND the government getting less money than they want.

This is why even the right wing economists were calling for Harper to leave the GST at 7% and lower income taxes if a tax reduction was the desire. If you're going to tax people, do it in the more efficient ways possible.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

A sales tax + income tax cut isn't going to do much good when the Feds increase the Fed. income tax rate... so we're back to square one PLUS a PST.

I expect a minority Liberal government in 2015. Sad I know. Any tax increase will be supported by NDP... And you can bet there will be.

That being said, the indiviuals in the Prentice cabinet want a PST so I think we're all fucked either way.

Too many tax and spend people in the government these days.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
    A sales tax + income tax cut isn't going to do much good when the Feds increase the Fed. income tax rate... so we're back to square one PLUS a PST.

I expect a minority Liberal government in 2015. Sad I know. Any tax increase will be supported by NDP... And you can bet there will be.

That being said, the indiviuals in the Prentice cabinet want a PST so I think we're all fucked either way.

Long time until the election, polls are looking better than they have in a while. The liberals have spent a decade imploding in the campaign and Trudeau has the potential to say something just stupid enough to lose an election on a whim.

Alberta needs to look after its own interests regardless of who holds the reigns in Ottawa.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Not much you can do on the Fed level. Let worry about your own backyard first before worrying about the Feds.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by killramos

Long time until the election, polls are looking better than they have in a while. The liberals have spent a decade imploding in the campaign and Trudeau has the potential to say something just stupid enough to lose an election on a whim.

Alberta needs to look after its own interests regardless of who holds the reigns in Ottawa.
    He has said a lot of stupid shit already. Polls are very iffy, but, you know, just sucks all around.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

He has said a lot of stupid shit already. Polls are very iffy, but, you know, just sucks all around.
    imo his big mouth is the reason for the recent dip...

The key to Trudeau was the party controlling him and riding on his name. I am not sure that they are doing a good job of that... He has a big mouth and loves the cameras.

My Ride
    Z

Now, if only we could have a party that has the economics of the conservatives and the social values of the liberals... How is that so hard?
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    CRF 250L

TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by g-m
    Now, if only we could have a party that has the economics of the conservatives and the social values of the liberals... How is that so hard?
    Economics of the conservatives? Wtf.

That's funny. Lol

My Ride
    Nissan 300zx (1990 na)

Originally posted by broken_legs
    [youtube]
    "This tale of three similar brothers with three different incomes (but one shared expense) helps explain the tax system under which we live."

/long rant on taxes in general

Taxes were made to stop (or reduce) middle men who profit off peoples hard earned money by flipping products... and without them actually doing any work.
    These users hoard products or services, creating monopolies... and even flood markets to take out their competition.

The truth about the U.S. (and ours) tax systems is that very wealthy elite are exempt with their shylock ways (paying no tariffs, tax exemptions, etc) but everyone else is milked just right to keep the rat race in tune.

The results of all this is that I cant be my own carpenter, create my own furniture and sell it to make a decent living. One cant compete with the elites IKEA shell companies and big box store to really ever get out of servitude.

Even if Eric Garner wanted to sell his own cigarettes, we see the elites police and the IRS squad likes, are armed to keep their monopoly.
    Last edited by Arash Boodagh; 12-05-2014 at 01:52 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4