Quantcast
Cookware/Kitchenware Suggestions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cookware/Kitchenware Suggestions

My Ride
    V8s

Default Cookware/Kitchenware Suggestions

I'm looking at getting a couple new pots/pans, as well as possibly new knives. My wife and I aren't passionate chefs, per say, but she is a stay at home mom and cooks most days during the week. Looking for best value (not to be confused with lowest price), and I have no idea where to start. For pots/pans, I can't help but think getting a 10 piece set at The Bay on "sale" is not going to get me the best stuff.

Specifically at the moment, I'm having trouble finding a good cook and serve pan/pot (the ones that are 12" x ~3.5" depth). I want something that's well made (not aluminum), non stick, and not cast iron. We have a couple cast iron pans and for some reason I can't get them seasoned well so they never really become non stick.

Also for knives, I'm just not sure if buying a set from a department store is a waste of money or not, and I also assume knife stores in malls are rip off artists.

My Ride
    VAG products

I am no expert in this area, but I tried a variety of brands and what I found works really well is "Heritage Rock" stuff. Especially for non stick purposes. And plus of this brand is they tend to sell sets at Canadian tire. Again, not huge cooks, but we do cook a few times a week and prefer using the hertiage rock stuff versus some of our other cookware.

And we have tried stuff ranging from cuisnart, zwilling, le creuset, etc.

Pots & Pans - find the set you like and wait for it to be 70-80% off at The Bay, Canadian Tire, etc. Shouldn't cost you more than $200-300 for a high end set and you can even get copper or clad for $500 or less. Canadian Tire has a ton of them on sale right now, mostly 75% off. For frying pans I really like the Heritage Rock stuff, they are super durable and are always on sale somewhere.

Knives - Most people only really need 2 or 3, go to Knifewear and get set up with a good paring, santoku, etc. or whatever your needs are. Once you've used good Japanese knives you won't go back. You don't have to spend a ton of money either. I wouldn't bother with the big block sets at department stores.

These are my favorite general purpose knives that I don't really have to care about - Knifewear recommended them to me and they have not let me down: https://www.amazon.ca/Kuhn-Rikon-284...2363911&sr=8-4

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have a couple cast iron pans and for some reason I can't get them seasoned well so they never really become non stick.
    Are you throwing it into the pot and expecting things to be flippable immediately? Because that's the #1 reason why people think cast iron is bad.

Is there a reason why you are looking specifically for non-stick pots? Because the coatings never last.
    Best to look for stainless steel. I have good experiences with all of these:

-Kirkland SS cookware set (not on their website right now?)
    -https://www.homehardware.ca/en/9-pie...age#ccode=7944
    -https://www.kitchenstuffplus.com/zwi...tainless-steel

Also, I would never pay full price for these. I got them all in the $150-200 ballpark

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Are you throwing it into the pot and expecting things to be flippable immediately? Because that's the #1 reason why people think cast iron is bad.
    No, and I tried different methods of seasoning (diff temps, oils, etc), never washing w soap... I did all the research and did things "right", just for some reason haven't had great success.

Hopefully the kirkland stuff will come back; generally have had great experience with all kirkland products haha.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Knives - Most people only really need 2 or 3, go to Knifewear and get set up with a good paring, santoku, etc. or whatever your needs are. Once you've used good Japanese knives you won't go back. You don't have to spend a ton of money either. I wouldn't bother with the big block sets at department stores.
    Big time, I love my Japanese knives, they are also really easy to sharpen too. I can't do a good of a job as Knifewear but I can make it sharp enough for my needs. They do a garage sale once in a while that you can get some good discount on some of their knives.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

No, and I tried different methods of seasoning (diff temps, oils, etc), never washing w soap... I did all the research and did things "right", just for some reason haven't had great success.

Hopefully the kirkland stuff will come back; generally have had great experience with all kirkland products haha.
    The Kirkland SS stuff is probably available in store, just not shown online.

There's also a non-stick set which I have no experience with
    https://www.costco.ca/kirkland-signa...100355539.html

I wouldn't even consider this set based on not dw safe

My Ride
    ute

Get a decent set of clad pans - I like All Clad, but you can get more generic brands that do multi-ply. I think you are looking for a Saute pan if you are looking at a 12"x3.5" type pan. Coookwarenmore does the All Clad seconds, which are a good value if you can bring them up from the States. https://www.cookwarenmore.com/all-clad-irregulars/

I'd start with a 12" Saute pan, and then get maybe a 10" fry pan. Then a couple of sauce pans (what most people call pots), and you should be set.

For knives:

You really only should need three: a paring knife, a chef's knife, and something serrated like a bread knife. Costco carries Global packages, which are a decent way into what I would consider minimally acceptable knife quality.

I like Japanese knives, but prefer them to be a "western" style in terms of shape. Like a traditional european chef's knife. The japanese call them gyutos.

I have a Hiromoto for my personal use...but I just saw that Master Nagao retired, so you can't get them any more.

https://japanesechefsknife.com/collections/hiromoto

edit: if you want to add some non-stick stuff, just buy whatever is at Costco and replace as needed. But you should really only need non-stick for cooking eggs.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I'm looking at getting a couple new pots/pans, as well as possibly new knives. My wife and I aren't passionate chefs, per say, but she is a stay at home mom and cooks most days during the week. Looking for best value (not to be confused with lowest price), and I have no idea where to start. For pots/pans, I can't help but think getting a 10 piece set at The Bay on "sale" is not going to get me the best stuff.

Specifically at the moment, I'm having trouble finding a good cook and serve pan/pot (the ones that are 12" x ~3.5" depth). I want something that's well made (not aluminum), non stick, and not cast iron. We have a couple cast iron pans and for some reason I can't get them seasoned well so they never really become non stick.

Also for knives, I'm just not sure if buying a set from a department store is a waste of money or not, and I also assume knife stores in malls are rip off artists.
    So Le Creuset has some sales in Chinook or at The Bay sometimes. They're well-made enamel cast iron stuff. I have them for pans, French oven, and giant pot. As per @Buster testament All Clad is the top tier and so baller. That's my next dream frying pan <3

You only need a select few depending on what you cook the most. Alternatively, there are copper bottom pots that are also great.

Knives: Go to Knifewear for a chef's knife. I have an all-rounder for 6 years and it's awesome. I never needed a serrated knife and just sat there for years. I have a chef's knife, a paring knife, and a butcher's knife, which accommodates my needs.

Cast iron pans: You season them by washing it and getting rid of the initial crud; coating them with canola oil or any high-temp oil; bake them in an oven; wipe clean for future uses. Try not to use them to fry eggs and anything sticky until it's well coated.

Also, I learned this from someone in the Philippines when they season a wok: Use peanut oil, fry some ginger and onions until the wok gets a coating, and then repeat until the layers of oil makes it 'nonstick'.

Pans: 10 inch, 12 inch All Clad SS pans. OXO for non-stick pans. They're cheap.

Knives: Victorinox. Don't bother with anything expensive or heavy. You need Chef's, paring, bread, boning. Maybe serrated.

Pots: All-Clad for medium + small.

Yeah, AC costs, but you can usually get the pans on sale. You will pass them to your kids.

AC 12" has been on sale for a while now: https://www.thebay.com/all-clad-12-i...&bmUID=mUmWxfO

Also forgot AC has a cheap non-stick set that works very well:

https://www.thebay.com/all-clad-two-...&bmUID=mUmWxhq

Victorinox Chef's knife: https://www.amazon.ca/Victorinox-Fib...s%2C196&sr=8-5
    Last edited by suntan; 10-29-2019 at 01:51 PM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Also forgot AC has a cheap non-stick set that works very well:

https://www.thebay.com/all-clad-two-...&bmUID=mUmWxhq
    Esther Choi says not worth

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    AC 12" has been on sale for a while now: https://www.thebay.com/all-clad-12-i...&bmUID=mUmWxfO
    This is worth though, even though Esther is much easier to watch

My Ride
    Exploded.

Ester Choi made me buy a fancy rice cooker. <3

If you have a 'shitty' knife, just get it professionally sharpened. It makes a world of difference. The cleaver I got at T&T is awesome once Knifewear took care of it for me.

That AC pan is not the same as the ones I linked to.

Get this Chef's Choice knife sharpener:

https://www.amazon.ca/ChefsChoice-Ed...s%2C187&sr=8-5

Don't buy it on Amazon unless it's massively discounted, their MSRP is massively inflated. Lots of places sell it and it often goes on sale.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Commercial kitchen stuff from Russel Hendrix.

Lodge cast iron that serves us really well. Would like an enameled French variety but too poor for that luxury.

I like my kitchen knives I got from Lee Valley. Really only need 2 and a good pair of shears. Clever if you're into soups.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    ute

I think a nice chef's knife is worth it over the Victorinox Fibrox ones. But you'd still probably be happy with the Victorinox one too.

I have a set of these and they've been really good. Wicked sharp and are holding their edge well.
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...2444p.html#srp
    Nothing like the Knifewear stuff but not the price either.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

My Ride
    V8s

Great job folks, this has been very helpful. I'll be looking for some All-Clad cookware; not sure about the knives, but that one's not as pressing.

I'll probably also take another crack at the cast iron thing, we have a lodge frying pan and lecrueset grill pan both collecting dust at the moment.

My Ride
    ute

I wouldnt make the cast iron a priority. It still won't replace a nice stainless all clad pan.

Have you tried Serious Eats' way of seasoning cast iron? It's really the only way that works:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/...-cookware.html

My Ride
    Exploded.

Le Crueset shouldn't need seasoning @cjblair

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast