Quantcast
French cooking or baking classes - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: French cooking or baking classes

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default French cooking or baking classes

Anyone know a good place or school that offers this in town?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    wrx wagon

My Ride
    Grimace

^^^Those classes have always sounded interesting. Would be handy to give a try as my knife skills are garbage
    Should get a beyond meet at sait downtown campus classes

For French pastry, call Brûlée Patisserie (they'd know of classes) or better yet drop by and walk out with a thousand carbs. Nice place and the real thing. Might be connected with The Cookbook Company: http://www.brulee.ca/index.php?/

Also upstairs from Brûlée Patisserie, The Cookbook Company Cooks has tons of classes: http://www.cookbookcooks.com/sites/c...R_12-03-14.pdf

SAIT: http://culinarycampus.ca/index.php

A Collection of places in and around Calgary: http://www.avenuecalgary.com/Restaur...ss-in-Calgary/

For the more serious and free of time, you'd be better off in Quebec or Vancouver at a yearly school.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

^^I like the idea of dropping by and watching my ass grow

Was thinking of giving this as a gift to the gf and she could take a friend. But by the time I got buying her other shit, another $200+ bucks wasn't gonna happen. Maybe a birthday gift!

At least I can sample some pastries in the mean time!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

I've participated in two sessions at the SAIT Culinary Campus (as corporate team builds).
    With respect to actually learning to cook, both sessions were little beyond following a prepared recipe and process, and there was very little instruction with regard to why we were doing what this recipe called for; what are the guidelines of the culinary style that we were working with, what flavours work together and why, etc...all the finer details I'd expect to learn from a cooking class.

From a two or so hour session I guess one can't expect to take a lot away so keep that in mind; the food was great and it was a fun time, but unless you're absolutely inept in the kitchen and have never followed a recipe before, you won't be learning much.

I'd still do it again though.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
    I've participated in two sessions at the SAIT Culinary Campus (as corporate team builds).
    With respect to actually learning to cook, both sessions were little beyond following a prepared recipe and process, and there was very little instruction with regard to why we were doing what this recipe called for; what are the guidelines of the culinary style that we were working with, what flavours work together and why, etc...all the finer details I'd expect to learn from a cooking class.

From a two or so hour session I guess one can't expect to take a lot away so keep that in mind; the food was great and it was a fun time, but unless you're absolutely inept in the kitchen and have never followed a recipe before, you won't be learning much.

I'd still do it again though.
    We did one with Cook Book Cooks and then another with SAIT the following year. I found the same thing for both about a half hour in, so I took the initiative to ask questions and got some very good answers. Of course, with a team of engineers though, we've pretty much banned any possibility of doing it again because most of the male dominant team really didn't want to participate