crap i missed this past weekend

My Ride
    '03 S2000

It was a very good day!

R
    "I don't look for something; I find something" - Picasso

My Ride
    '03 S2000

Due to the very warm weather (Chinooks) recently the ice at Ghost Lake has deteriorated significantly although it is still almost 24"/2'/60cm thick!

The surface has a cobblestone texture which is bumpy and quite rare apparently (guess this happens only in strong and extended Chinooks essentially). It is called "cobblestone" ice as a consequence but it is also evidence of the bonds between ice crystals breaking down resulting in vertical movement that results in this texture. Interesting. Read more about that on the SASC Facebook page (c/w photos from this afternoon).

Also there was evidence of "candled" ice (e.g. ice crystals in the shape of candles if you will) in that I hit free water once I drilled less than 4" down (even though the ice was 2' thick). In the winter we would not hit free water until we were right through all of the ice! That is not a good sign.

After a bit of research, it was deemed best to cancel the the final scheduled Winter Driver Training tomorrow (Sunday, March 15).

SASC's next events are a two day solo event, likely with a beginner school on Saturday, on Sat./Sun. April 25/26.

Cheers!

Reijo Silvennnoinen, SASC Solo Director.

My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus ST

Originally posted by reijo
    Due to the very warm weather (Chinooks) recently the ice at Ghost Lake has deteriorated significantly although it is still almost 24"/2'/60cm thick!

The surface has a cobblestone texture which is bumpy and quite rare apparently (guess this happens only in strong and extended Chinooks essentially). It is called "cobblestone" ice as a consequence but it is also evidence of the bonds between ice crystals breaking down resulting in vertical movement that results in this texture. Interesting. Read more about that on the SASC Facebook page (c/w photos from this afternoon).

Also there was evidence of "candled" ice (e.g. ice crystals in the shape of candles if you will) in that I hit free water once I drilled less than 4" down (even though the ice was 2' thick). In the winter we would not hit free water until we were right through all of the ice! That is not a good sign.

After a bit of research, it was deemed best to cancel the the final scheduled Winter Driver Training tomorrow (Sunday, March 15).

SASC's next events are a two day solo event, likely with a beginner school on Saturday, on Sat./Sun. April 25/26.

Cheers!

Reijo Silvennnoinen, SASC Solo Director.

Thanks for the great ice course this year! Looking forward to next winter. I may have to come help out so I have an excuse to be out there!!!

My Ride
    '03 S2000

Help is always good!

However, in the meanwhile why not show up for our summer events? They start April 25/26 weekend ... lots of seat time and learning to be had there!

R

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 10 11