Hi guys,

Hoping to find some advice on finding a different job as a heavy duty mechanic/heavy equipment technician. As I know this club consists of many people with different occupations, hopefully some of you who are currently in the trade can point me in the right direction. I am just finding it hard to apply for jobs that I'm interested with since I don't have the skills or knowledge associated with Diesel engines,and truck chassis weather it be on road or off road equipment besides what was taught in trades school.

Here's a little background on myself. I am a journeyman automotive technician with a red seal. I worked at an acura dealer for about 4.5 years. Then took a 2 year electronics engineering technologist diploma to try to learn more about electronics and how they work. After graduating I had a hard time finding work in that field and I took a job at Toyota for about 9 months as a tech. Then a classmate got me a job with him as a field installer for card access systems. Did that for a while then, moved to calgary with my then girlfriend now wife. Had another card access gig for a bit, but got tired of having to go to ft mac all the time, and applied at my current job as a mechanic, and that's how in got my start as a heavy duty tech.

I am currently a 3rd year apprentice, I will be at SAIT this January for 4th year. I plan on getting my Q endorsement while I'm there. My current job has me assembling auxiliary hydraulic systems on trucks. Such as PTOs, pumps, motors, valves, hoses, etc.... I do a bit of electrical as well like installing Revguard modules and splicing into the trucks harness for remote accelerator function. I would like to get into something that deals more with the mechanical aspect of the trade so I can advance my skill set. Currently at my job, I don't get to deal with any thing engine/chassis related, or much maintenance work since all our trucks are brand new.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

D