Quantcast
Light switches, dimmers, timers - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Light switches, dimmers, timers

Default Light switches, dimmers, timers

I have a need for a bunch of light switches, dimmers, timers for my place. While I can go to Home Depot or Rona, anyone have recommendations of where else I could go for good product selection (and maybe value?)

Thanks

My Ride
    oooo

You can go to Eecol but everybody carries the same stuff Leviton or Lutron.

Both are good. You can try online, but realistically the 2 pack at home depot is probably the best price
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    WK2

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Picked up a couple of these for 2 separate 3 way switches I have in the house. They are awesome. Tap once to turn on to most recent light setting. Tap off for a fade to off - works great with my LED light fixtures. Double tap to 'full on'.

I would highly recommend for your dimmable lights.

For the price you pay for the stuff in the store you can get the zwave/zigbee stuff online.

Might as well future proof?

Originally posted by 94CoRd
    click for larger version

Picked up a couple of these for 2 separate 3 way switches I have in the house. They are awesome. Tap once to turn on to most recent light setting. Tap off for a fade to off - works great with my LED light fixtures. Double tap to 'full on'.

That's just what I'm thinking! Was it straightforward to install? Is this at Home Depot?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by ee2k

That's just what I'm thinking! Was it straightforward to install? Is this at Home Depot?
    I've also got one of those in my kitchen. Bought it at home depot for $33 I think.

Wire it up like a normal dimmer, however if your most recent setting is at the dimmest end, the lights come back on in a weird fashion (they light up individually, instead of all at once). That could just be my led pot lights though.

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

Originally posted by 94CoRd
    click for larger version

I've got 2 of these for LED pot lights, they are awesome. One thing I can't figure out, I've got one dimmer on a 3-way and the other switch is a regular 3-way (on the other end). Is there a special programming or setting you need to enter on the dimmer to allow it to work as a proper 3-way?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by idriveabox

I've got 2 of these for LED pot lights, they are awesome. One thing I can't figure out, I've got one dimmer on a 3-way and the other switch is a regular 3-way (on the other end). Is there a special programming or setting you need to enter on the dimmer to allow it to work as a proper 3-way?
    I assume you're asking if it's possible to dim from both ends? Short answer is no, long answer is yes if you want to rewire your house.

My Ride
    WK2

Originally posted by ee2k

At Home Depot, and install was simple.

I don't have the install instructions, but I thought I saw something within that mentioned if you're adding this switch to a circuit that already has a dimmer - there is a different configuration. I could be wrong though.

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I assume you're asking if it's possible to dim from both ends? Short answer is no, long answer is yes if you want to rewire your house.
    Sorry, poorly worded. I've got the lutron dimmer on one end and a regular 3 way light switch on the other end, so effectively, a dimmer on one end only. Just wondering if the dimmer has a special programming mode to use as 3 way. If not, it might be my wiring that's messed up.

My Ride
    Honda S2000

You need to buy a 3-way dimmer for it to wrk as a 3-way switch.

I much prefer the Lutron dimmers with the manual slider instead of the electronic ones:
    http://www.homedepot.ca/product/diva...r-white/935868
    The best part of life isn't around the corner. It IS the corner.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Sorry, poorly worded. I've got the lutron dimmer on one end and a regular 3 way light switch on the other end, so effectively, a dimmer on one end only. Just wondering if the dimmer has a special programming mode to use as 3 way. If not, it might be my wiring that's messed up.
    If I remember correctly there was something you had to do with the programming if you have a normal 3 way switch on the other end, just grab the manual from their website and look it up. It should be quick and easy to do.