Quantcast
Have you ever been arrested/criminally charged? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Have you ever been arrested and/or criminally charged?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never been arrested or criminally charged

125 65.10%
  • Never been arrested but have been criminally charged

3 1.56%
  • Have been arrested but have not been criminally charged

32 16.67%
  • Have been arrested and have been criminally charged

32 16.67%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been arrested/criminally charged?

Default Have you ever been arrested/criminally charged?

In light of the discussion in the "Police don't need warrants to search cell phones" thread, I thought it might be interesting to post a poll with respect to being arrested and/or charged.

Personally, I have never been arrested or criminally charged at any point in my life and don't know of anyone (family or friend) that has been either. That said, it does appear that we maybe have some forum members who may fall into a category other than not having been in trouble with the law either currently or in their past.

Aside from that, I do have concerns with the powers that authorities may have and the public's general understanding of these powers but that's another whole big can of worms and part of that is being addressed/discussed somewhat in the "Police don't need warrants to search cell phones" thread.

Never the less on to this poll - if I'm off my rocker on my poll questions, then could I please ask that a mod please fix it and this would be because of my lack of experience with all things regarding being arrested or being charged criminally with something.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I don't commit crimes, and i don't get arrested or charged with crimes.

Complicated concept but

But then I belong to a group of Canadians who are statistically least likely to commit crimes
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Are we including our "stupid teenager" years?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Jesus based on the start of this poll maybe I should be more careful about who I mouth off on this site
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Made a lot of dumb decisions when I was younger...

Arrested 4 times, charged criminally twice, but both times charges were dropped.

I had to spend close to 2 weeks in a county jail in the united states. I'll share a little more about that story because it is somewhat laughable..

When I was in uni, I was on the way home from the gym on my BMX. I actually just had received some bad news from my sister regarding my dads illness and cut my workout short to head home. Anyways, I was riding pretty quickly along through campus and blew threw a couple stop signs, where there was nobody to be seen for miles other than other students walking...

Anyways, all of a sudden I hear some 18-19 year old kid yelling at me from behind to stop my bike and pull over so he could give me a ticket for riding through a stop sign(freshmen students can volunteer to be bicycle officers and can ticket infractions). Me, already upset about the news I had received just minutes prior I decided to just go full out on my BMX. Those who know, know that BMX's aren't exactly quick bikes. The kid pursues me and ends up getting beside me, trying to cut me off to pull over. The kids spoke hit my peg on my BMX as he was trying to cut me off and he went tumbling to the ground. I made my break for my apartment when he went down and got there in about 5 minutes with my adrenalin pumping.

2 Days later I'm sitting in lecture and two cops walk into the room and up to the professor. I didn't think anything of it until my professor came to me and told me that I need to go and speak with the police officers outside. I get charged for assault on a peace officer and have to spend 10 days in jail before my Mom could come to Colorado and post bail for me.

Judge dropped the charges after completing my community service, and all is well now..

I can sound hard when I tell people I went to jail for assaulting a peace officer... But when the details come out, it's far from it
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 12-12-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Why not? It was a part of your life, no?

I don't prescribe to the notion that what one does before they turn 18 is magically never a part of them once they turn 18. Yeah, on the books it may be locked away as a part of your juvenile record but you were still guilty of any said offenses, no?
    Last edited by speedog; 12-12-2014 at 01:58 PM.

My Ride
    Ford

ya i was arrested at 18 in fort mac for thieving jerry cans out of the back of works truck at the hotels with like 5 guys. that was 15 years ago and since i havent even had a real speeding ticket.
    Last edited by blairtruck; 12-12-2014 at 01:58 PM.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

Default Re: Have you ever been arrested/criminally charged?

Originally posted by speedog

don't know of anyone (family or friend) that has been either. That said, it does appear that we maybe have some forum members who may fall into a category other than not having been in trouble with the law either currently or in their past.
    I am willing to bet you have a friend or two that's been charged at some point. Not really something people are willing to discuss especially if it was some dumb mistake back when they were 18-21.
    You'd be surprised and probably never find out.

Originally posted by killramos

But then I belong to a group of Canadians who are statistically least likely to commit crimes
    Blue collar crimes, maybe.
    White collar crimes, I think the odds are in your favour.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Why not? It was a part of your life, no?
    Just curious, because a 16 year old doing dumb shit in the name of fun isn't really the same as a 35+ year old doing the same stupid shit.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Default Re: Re: Have you ever been arrested/criminally charged?

Originally posted by mr2mike

Blue collar crimes, maybe.
    White collar crimes, I think the odds are in your favour.

I meant licensed gun owners

Originally posted by blairtruck

ya i was arrested at 18 in fort mac for thieving jerry cans out of the back of works truck at the hotels with like 5 guys. that was 15 years ago and since i havent even had a real speeding ticket.
    Within the context of this poll, I would say that you were arrested, no?

My Ride
    Ford

Within the context of this poll, I would say that you were arrested, no?
    i voted arrested and charged. thanks.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    99 Blazer

Arrested and charged at 14, probably wouldn't have helped or hurt having access to my phone. And held on investigative detention around 19. With what actually happened vs what I knew about the situation I'm certain they would have gone through my phone found nothing anyways, and I would be pissed because they grabbed me for no reason. I'm indifferent to the new law, mostly because I have nothing to hide, but as a now law abiding citizen I deserve privacy, but if helps keep the world a better place then do what you gotta do. Really no winning I think.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It doesn't take much to get arrested. Not paying speeding tickets is enough to get you arrested. Or maybe that's detained and different?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Just curious, because a 16 year old doing dumb shit in the name of fun isn't really the same as a 35+ year old doing the same stupid shit.
    Aah, the "old I'm a teenager and it's okay to sow my oats" adage.

All I know is that when I was a teenager, I did dumb shit but I also was well aware what the laws were and the consequences. I also had my mom and dad who would've kicked my ass or worse for doing something that might get me in trouble with the law.

Being a parent now with kids aged 16-22, I can say my kids did dumb shit and still do. But my wife's and my own expectations were that they not get in trouble and we made them well aware of that getting in trouble with the law was just not cool.

To me, there is no difference in getting in trouble with the law regardless of your age - one chooses to be a hooligan or not and parenting is an integral part of that.

Originally posted by rage2
    It doesn't take much to get arrested. Not paying speeding tickets is enough to get you arrested. Or maybe that's detained and different?
    Is it?

You were still arrested no? People that pay speeding tickets don't get arrested, no?

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

Originally posted by rage2
    IIRC it's 5 years of non-payment for yellow tickets that triggers a warrant.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Is it?

You were still arrested no? People that pay speeding tickets don't get arrested, no?
    I have no idea. As a teen, I racked up $700 in fines one year, didn't pay it, and they cuffed me and brought me downtown and held me in holding till someone came to pay those fines off. I'm not sure if that's being arrested or not, wasn't charged with anything, they just wanted their money.

Originally posted by EM2FTL
    IIRC it's 5 years of non-payment for yellow tickets that triggers a warrant.
    It was over $500 of non payment that triggers it too. At least back then.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

was almost detained once... whyte ave, canada day, hammered. kept passing this one cop (they had someone posted every block or so) most cops were reasonable... but this one guy had a total small man syndrome going on. buddy walking in front of me stepped off the curb near this guy and the cop grabbed him and pushed him towards the sidewalk and said something to the effect of "stay on the sidewalk unless you want to spend the night in the drunk tank"

so... me, at 19... when i use to still workout at 6'1" and 210lbs looks down at this little man, was probably 5'6" if i was being generous and say "its canada day.... lighten up!"

next thing i know he is trying to get my arm behind my back... and failing hard, he had both arms in it and i was just standing there laughing and yelling "police brutality!" over and over again... next thing i know these two giant ass undercover dudes (no like really, i've seen smaller NFL linemen) jump out of a near by car and one grabs me by the neck and just says "go home" i nod and we leave

Killramos: lol. Okay, you got me. I didn't know this about gun owners and you set the statement up for someone to run with it.

Don't pay a transit ticket and a warrant for your arrest is issued. Not sure if you're then charged or they just force you to pay or serve time in lieu.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast