Quantcast
Oilpatch A&D Discussion Thread - Apache, Talisman, Baker Hughes and anyone else - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Oilpatch A&D Discussion Thread - Apache, Talisman, Baker Hughes and anyone else

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Oilpatch A&D Discussion Thread - Apache, Talisman, Baker Hughes and anyone else

Thought it would be nice to have all the A&D discussions in one place.

December 15th, 2014, Today, Apache has announced that they are selling their Kitimat LNG project, plus "associated gas reserves" in Horn River and Laird Basin to Woodside LNG of Australia.

Repsol appears close to announcing their purchase of Talisman Energy.

I know there are a bunch of folks more knowledgeable than me about these subjects, please chime in.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Hasn't Apache been out of the Kitimat game for a while? Pretty sure they sold their stake in the PTP pipeline a long time ago?

*edit* guess it was them wanting to pull out and finally got a buyer? Will be interesting to see the final result with the Kitimat LNG port..
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 12-15-2014 at 08:54 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I didn't even recognize you with that hat on slow.

Some other topics will be BP's downsizing ( likely leading to getting out of the Canadian market)

Baytex has been trying to sell out of Canada for a year as well.

Within the scope of this thread every should be very careful about posting about their respective companies in times like this. So easy you something to come off as tipping and if found out you can get in VERY hot water... Even small A&D type topics can have huge impacts.

People i know who work in A&D wont even tell me how their day is going, if they are busy etc. Keeping your mouth shut about your work is half the job in those departments.

Just a friendly tip

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

A hat can really make a mans outfit, can't it?

Good point about not discussing anything to do with your current workplace. I was thinking this could be more of an aggregation of publicly available information, and some discussion of that information by persons without insider knowledge.

Luckily for me, I'm not in a position to get any insider knowledge.

I'll add a deal to the list, EOG Resources is closing it's Calgary office after selling off properties in SW Sask to Tundra and properties in Alberta, reportedly to CNRL. Total sale price was $410 million. They are reportedly keeping their Horn River Basin assets.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    A hat can really make a mans outfit, can't it?

Good point about not discussing anything to do with your current workplace. I was thinking this could be more of an aggregation of publicly available information, and some discussion of that information by persons without insider knowledge.

Luckily for me, I'm not in a position to get any insider knowledge.

I'll add a deal to the list, EOG Resources is closing it's Calgary office after selling off properties in SW Sask to Tundra and properties in Alberta, reportedly to CNRL. Total sale price was $410 million. They are reportedly keeping their Horn River Basin assets.
    There is a good saying in this town. Every downturn CNRL gets a little bit bigger

That's the value of free cashflow and patience. IMO CNRL is one of the safest bets for long term growth in the patch. I would bet my pension on them.

Nabors Canada sold off all their production services (service rigs) in Canada to C&J Energy services, along with production services and pressure pumping units in the USA. Been some stalls in regards to this is the Courts but is likely to go through.

My Ride
    RSTi

Originally posted by lasimmon
    Nabors Canada sold off all their production services (service rigs) in Canada to C&J Energy services, along with production services and pressure pumping units in the USA. Been some stalls in regards to this is the Courts but is likely to go through.
    Nabors didn't sell it off per se, they are joining with C&J but have positioned themselves so that they will be majority owners of the combined company (53%).

I've heard some grumblings about why it's dragging out and it mostly sounds like it's on the C&J side, but as mentioned it should still be going through.

Originally posted by Perfect Dark

Nabors didn't sell it off per se, they are joining with C&J but have positioned themselves so that they will be majority owners of the combined company (53%).

I've heard some grumblings about why it's dragging out and it mostly sounds like it's on the C&J side, but as mentioned it should still be going through.
    I mentioned it sold in the sense that C&J will be the name and will operate independently even though Nabors Industries will own 53% of the stock.

Well yes some C&J stock holders were upset since it was "Essentially" a takeover in their mind and they didn't shop around. Which is why the judge said they had to be shopped for 30 days.

Honestly I would see Nabors slowly divesting their 53% stock and their aim is not be involved in production services and solely focus on drilling.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by Repsol press release December 15,2014
    The company reports that, at the ordinary meeting of its board of directors to be held today, it will submit for consideration, among other matters, the analysis of a possible transaction consisting in the acquisition of the total share capital of the Canadian company Talisman Energy Inc.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I'm not surprised that Apache pulled out of the Horn River and Liard basin at all. I wouldn't actually be surprised if they sold off even more of their larger assets and downsized quite a bit in the next half year.

That being said Apache seems to be the only guys exiting out of NE B.C. as all of the other companies (such as EOG) are selling off all of their assets EXCEPT that play. Now I am not too sure if that's because they are expecting a boom in the coming years or with the current economics it doesn't make financial sense so some of the producers on here will have to chime in. I am intimately familiar with the completions side of things up there so I know how tight the margins are and without having your efficiency down pat then it doesn't make any sense to even try.

Longrun Explorations and Crew Energy seem to be scooping up any little company they can lately to expand.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 01:09 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The deal is done, Reported price is $8 USD, which is about $9.33 Canadian. That seems high to me, but I'm no expert.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by The Calgary Herald

Lauren Krugel, The Canadian Press 12.14.2014

Spanish company Repsol to purchase Talisman Energy
    CALGARY - Talisman Energy Inc. (TSX:TLM) says it has agreed to be purchased by Spanish energy giant Repsol in a transaction worth about US$13 billion (C$8.3 billion).

Under the agreement confirmed early Tuesday by Talisman, Repsol will acquire all outstanding common shares of the Calgary-based company at US$8 (C$9.33) each.

Talisman shares had closed at $5.97 on the Toronto Stock Exchange, up 93 cents or more than 18 per cent. The purchase price, which includes Talisman's debt, represents a 75 per cent premium to the seven-day volume weighted average share price.

The Financial Times had reported Repsol was looking at a bid for Calgary-based Talisman of between $6 and $8 per share.

Also under the deal, Talisman will pay aggregate cash dividends of 18 cents per common share prior to closing. The Talisman board is recommending shareholders accept the deal at a special meeting to be held in mid-February 2015.

Completion of the transaction, which is targeted to close in the second quarter of 2015, is subject to customary closing conditions, including court approval.

"This deal creates significant and immediate value for Talisman stakeholders," said board chairman Chuck Williamson.

"Repsol is a world-class operator with a solid track record and the financial capability to continue the development of these assets within their international portfolio."

Talisman has strong operational capability, a highly skilled work force and we look forward to leveraging their expertise as we partner to create a stronger, more profitable and competitive organization," said Repsol chairman Antonio Brufau.

Repsol is an oil and gas giant with a presence in more than 30 countries, employing more than 24,000 people. The combined company will be among the 15 largest privately-owned oil and gas companies with activity in more than 50 countries and more than 27,000 employees.

Repsol said Talisman's incorporation will increase Repsol's output by 76 per cent to 680,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day, and boost reserves by 55 per cent.

According to a Bloomberg report, the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board was also said to be weighing a bid for Talisman.

Analysts have predicted the pace of mergers and acquisition in the oil patch will pick up as low oil prices put pressure on some names, especially those with high debt loads.

U.S. benchmark crude for January delivery dropped below $56 on Monday, down more than 47 per cent over the past six months.

Talisman, which over the past few years has been striving to better focus its global portfolio, has long been the subject of takeover speculation.

While its offshore assets in Southeast Asia and its position in several North American shale regions are seen to be attractive to potential bidders, its holdings in the U.K. North Sea have been cited as a hindrance to any potential deals as they've been prone to unplanned outages and have struggled to meet targets.

Last week, Edward Jones analyst Lanny Pendill said Talisman's bargain stock price — around $4 before the takeover talk heated up — increased the chances of an all-out takeover panning out.

"Obviously the North Sea assets are the Achilles heel here and that could be a stumbling block, but that may have been more of an issue when the stock was at $10-$11," Pendill said.

Repsol's shares were down nearly three per cent at 15.3 euros in early trading in Madrid.

You figure they're going to spin off some Canadian Talisman assets or keep the whole lot to themselves?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by mr2mike
    You figure they're going to spin off some Canadian Talisman assets or keep the whole lot to themselves?
    I think they will spin off alot yea, production particularly. Maybe stay in some of the infrastructure game.

That or they sell all of it to CNQ lol. That is the go to move for companies these days right?

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Anyone get in on that sweet 47.15% TLM uptick today?
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 01:07 AM.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by kaput
    Does this need to pass the government's ambiguous net benefit test since repsol is foreign? Or can they work around it based on the value of the Canadian assets without regard for all their foreign holdings? I don't know how the value of their Canada vs foreign compares.
    Talisman's production is roughly ~50% of North America (Not sure how much Canada, probably 30-35%). However, they don't have any oilsands assets, and a good chunk of that production is from US assets.
    Last edited by Canmorite; 12-16-2014 at 02:34 PM.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Originally posted by adamc
    Anyone get in on that sweet 47.15% TLM uptick today?
    No

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Canmorite

Talisman's production is roughly ~50% of Talisman's production.
    lolWut?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast