Quantcast
Retro Gaming consoles in Calgary? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Retro Gaming consoles in Calgary?

Default Retro Gaming consoles in Calgary?

I'd like to (gently) introduce my kids to video games. I'm not familar with the older consoles, as I never had one growing up.

Don't want to go straight to the latest and greatest current consoles, as that would be like crack, and none of us would ever leave the house again.

I'm thinking N64, as there are pokemon titles for it which my kids would like. Plus I remember seeing mario world and thinking it looked cool.

Leaning towards N64, but open to other suggestions. Also considering SNES/Zelda.

The games available are probably just as important as the system... My kids havn't played much games before and will be pretty impressed with anything.

Also would like to know where they best place is to go to buy such things.... Are there stores that stock such things, or should I go straight to Kijiji?

Thank you.
    RG.

My Ride
    '10 Civic

What are their ages? I've seen stuff at the flea market for a decent price, including nintendo 64's. I got my Nes from Beyond and my snes is a retro duo clone system, I believe that was from think geek.

I'm not sure I would recommend the 64 and I think it would be harder to introduce kids to games with that system. I am biased towards snes. So I would suggest any mario title or donkey kong. You could try Goof Troop. Again, depending on age I may not recommend Zelda or goof troop because of the puzzles.

Sounds like fun!

My Ride
    M3P

get a hacked Wii and install NES/SNES/N64/Sega emulators on it. Or, get an Ouya and put emulators on it.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

video game trader on center street and just south of 16th ave N I believe. They specialize in retro gaming systems and games.

Just have to be careful, the SNES and N64 may be incompatible with the new TVs, and you may have issues hooking them up, and then you need to find adapters and shit.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I ve been thinking about this lately too. But the tvs are hard to play on so I may go buy a old flat screen tube TV. I need a regular Nintendo as mine is dead. But the emulators are the way to go if you want every game.

At bed bath and beyond they have a sega with 80 games for $50. If you like sega it's the way to go.

My Ride
    rally pig

You could download a NES/SNES/GBA emulator, download a couple of ROMs and buy a USB controller (the X360 and X1 controller works great on the PC) then finally plug the PC on your TV.

Key IMO is to not give the kids too many games at once, maybe 2-3 games at a time.

Thrift stores are an option as well.

Or, there's all sorts of sites in which you can play any retro game.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by danno
    I ve been thinking about this lately too. But the tvs are hard to play on so I may go buy a old flat screen tube TV.
    I think my parents have a 22" tube (not flat) they want hauled away. Wanna come pick it up? Haha

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Get the new Nexus Player with the controllers and download some Emulators.
    Theres a couple free SNES/NES emulators in the play store. Grab a couple roms and you're good to go

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

You could also go with these at visions.

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cate...sku=M01688GRAY

Agree with ^^ I would check out the Retron 5 (but be sure to run the latest update from the manufacturer)

It doesn't do N64, but it covers NES/SNES/Sega Genesis/GBx and has controller ports for original controllers, along with HDMI.

It uses the original carts and everything, much more user friendly than building an emulator system, etc.

Thanks for everyone's replies!

I like the sega console - Mostly for Sonic, which I know is a pretty popular game.

The hyperkin is pretty cool, but but more machine and cost than I'm looking for.

But these two items lead me to thinking and searching for similar alternatives.

Came across a SNES kockoff at future shop. And I'm thinking that Mario World (I think that's the game), is just perfect. $55.

I can't find any pokemon titles for SNES/NES... but if you folks are aware of any conceptually similar games, I'd appreciate recommendations.

Also, kudos to the person who suggested getting a few titles at a time... A very wise suggestion in many ways.

Thanks tons!

I've settled on Hyperkin RetroN 3 (NES/SNES/Genesis) from FS. $69.

Can get Mario... Sonic... and I'm excited, as kinda skipped over this part as a kid myself!

Edit: Reviews show lots of A/V quality issued with the Retron3. Will go with the Retrobit from Futureshop... Does snes/nes, which is good enough...
    Last edited by Robin Goodfellow; 12-16-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Default Re: Retro Gaming consoles in Calgary?

Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow
    Don't want to go straight to the latest and greatest current consoles, as that would be like crack, and none of us would ever leave the house again.

Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow
    I'm excited, as kinda skipped over this part as a kid myself!
    It begins

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

As a huge retro gamer there are a few things I should point out.

Most of these new "retro systems" coming out that have ports for all the old games, have terrible input lag. Even on an old tube TV, it's terrible. for any action style game, it's completely unplayable. However they work fine for RPG's or slow paced games. Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Retr.../dp/B0012NZK8G

My recommendation. Spend some money on a cheap computer, get a good controller and rock the emulators. They do have input lag, but not nearly as much. The only better option I've found is the original machines.

EDIT :: Better one

Last edited by syscal; 12-16-2014 at 01:25 PM.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Check out the sunny side flea market. Loads of this stuff there. At the sunny side community centre.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by ZEDGE
    Check out the sunny side flea market. Loads of this stuff there. At the sunny side community centre.
    Why would anyone wanna go there? You can only drive 30 in the area

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

i'd just get a wii with the classic remote, can download pretty much all the classics from the wii store, sega, nes, super nes, n64, etc, etc... then of course the wii games would be the next step in this anyways, great kid friendly games on that system including a more modern mario party

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast