Quantcast
4K computer monitors - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: 4K computer monitors

My Ride
    14' 435i

I currently run 2 x 32" 4K Acer Predator monitors (XB321HK) for gaming and editing as well as a 24 BenQ monitor in portrait mode for email. LOVE my setup and as much as i wanted 120Hz monitors, I got these monitors for next to nothing and so far, no complaints!!

I was running 2 x 24" 1080p Asus monitors but wanted something a bit bigger and crisper!

My Ride
    rally pig

how large are your guys desk to fit huge 4k monitors.

currently have a 27" 1440p and 24" 1080p on my desk, viewing distance is around 20-30".
    contemplating switching the 27" 1440p with a 4k but cant decide whether 27" or 32". Wish I could just see a 27" 4k up close first to see if it will do for me.

Looking at this video, it seems like 27" might be enough for me

also considering maybe a 30", 34 or 38 ultra wide monitor

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

27” 4K is very usable with a pretty normal desk size. It’s my home DD and I almost like it better than the dual 24 1080p’s I use at work.

Wish I had a second but I guess that starts to point me towards an ultra wide being in contention.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

I ran a 27" with a 24" secondary no problem on this desk which isn't big by any stretch. Solo ultra wide looks good/fits fine

Name:  AD0EEC51-9C50-4BFD-B2B6-88B7906B411E.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  56.1 KB

My Ride
    rally pig

34" ultra wide wouldn't be any better for me as it would still be 1440, so 38" would be what I would go for with 1600 but my wife wants to stick with 2 monitors while they are WFH so I think I'm going with 27" 4K as primary, then the 24" 1080p as secondary.
    i might actually change the 24" to a 20" as it is too wide for our need.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Can RDP accommodate an ultra wide resolution?

I know I can do multiple 4K, but wondering if a 21:9 2160 vertical res is going to make things start coughing.

That new LG ultra wide is hella tempting.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

RDP can go full res on an ultra wide, it just looks dumb and is annoying. You'd want to use a RDP client like RDP connection manager or RoyalTS like I use to have something properly sized/usable.

Fancy zones are pretty much a must use for the work side of using a large display or ultra wide as well.

My Ride
    rally pig

decided to stick with 1440p and upgraded my old 2012 HP 27" 1440p with a LG 27GL850, primarily for slimmer bezel and higher refresh rate for gaming.
    after checking some 27" and 32" monitors at Best Buy, I've come to the conclusion that 1440p is the sweet spot for 27" and 100% scaling.

going to keep the secondary HP 24" 1080p although ideally I would like this resized to 22" if anyone has a 22" IPS 1080p for trade so that the icon size matches between the 2 monitor.

when photo editing I'm going to have Lightroom open on the main screen and then photo grids along with youtube on the second screen.

I have an LG 65" Oled that will do Gsync for HTPC use and gaming pretty well, but my primary gaming LCDs are Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ, I got 2 of them the day they came out, and they're still the gold standard IMO for 27" 4k gaming. 144hz, Gsync, 1000nits Peak HDR, etc etc. Acer makes a model of their own (they are both made using the exact same screen, just different housing/etc), one of their Predator lines.

I have an Alienware 1440p 34" as well, best option for my use would be a 34" that does what my Asus 4k 27" do, 4k, Gsync, at at least 500 nits would be nice as well. 34" is perfect for me, on my desk, which is 2 heavy duty 60" tables from Bestar in Quebec (very large steel legs, thick and solid table top) made into an "L" shape in my office corner. My 65" is perfect on the wall, but for my eyes, anything 40"ish or larger right in front of me just as a bit too big, especially for some gaming applications.

I've used the LG 65" (it's a 2020 model) quite a bit for games and home theater PC tasks, so far, so good on the "burn in" issue. I was pretty concerned about this being a future PITA, but the protection modes seem to work, plus I have Win10 set up to go to a shifting screen saver itself as well in order to have some additional defense against burn in. I'm not saying it's something not to be concerned about, but with newer Oled TVs, I think the issue isn't quite as bad as I thought it could be.

One LCD that has been getting great reviews is the LG 27GN950-B. 27" Nano IPS 1ms 4k 144hz Gsync, for around $900 CADish. Still waiting to see one in person. It's 1/2 the price of what the Asus PG27UQ or Asus Predator x27 will cost, 750 nits compared to a peak 1000 is the only stat that is "less than" from what I've read, so the LG may be a really great option for anyone looking for a 27" 4k right now.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 01-25-2021 at 11:56 AM.

My Ride
    Eclipse

I got a 32' 4k and 32' 2k. and some smaller ones on the side.

The issue with the 4k is that the text is so small, i dont want to strain my eyes, so I had to make the text larger.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

I Think im just going to make the 4k and 2k monitor instead. and keep 100% some of the software text is just sooooooo small on 100% for scale and layout.

Tip: If you have a window open

Click the Windows key + arrow so it takes half ur screen. and then click which other window you want on the other side, this works well.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
    I got a 32' 4k and 32' 2k. and some smaller ones on the side.

The issue with the 4k is that the text is so small, i dont want to strain my eyes, so I had to make the text larger.

I Think im just going to make the 4k and 2k monitor instead. and keep 100% some of the software text is just sooooooo small on 100% for scale and layout.

Tip: If you have a window open

Click the Windows key + arrow so it takes half ur screen. and then click which other window you want on the other side, this works well.
    yeah, you need to be 2ft away from a 32" 4k to use it at 100% scaling, so a lot of head turning to see everything, whereas I can stay almost 3ft away from a 27" 1440p and comfortably see everything.
    https://www.benq.eu/en-eu/knowledge-...g-monitor.html

i thought about going 32" 1440p to mach my 24" 1080p but pixel density sucks.

our HTPC that is plugged in on a Samsung 55" 4k monitor, scaling is set to 300% since we are 6-7ft away but I tested it at 100% scaling and it was like having 4 27" 1080p monitors lol. pretty cool but a lot of head turning to see all corners
    Last edited by taemo; 01-25-2021 at 12:47 PM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    • I use a cheapo TCL 43" as my main https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    • The 4K I get is 30Hz so you do notice it specifically with mouse movement. Otherwise for productivity purposes it really doesn't make a difference to me.
    • Definitely have moved away from maximized anything; browsing looks stupid when maximized with so much blank bar space on both sides of the web page. My current use is just windows stacked all over the place and I've become pretty accustomed to it. I actually kinda prefer it now instead of having to look down the taskbar and find which of the 5 word documents I am jumping between.

I've definitely made sure that I get a full 3 to 4 ft of distance (depending on how poor my posture is on the day) to get more FOV and use 100% scaling.
    To do so I've moved away from using a desk, and use a dining table instead for depth.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    yeah, you need to be 2ft away from a 32" 4k to use it at 100% scaling, so a lot of head turning to see everything, whereas I can stay almost 3ft away from a 27" 1440p and comfortably see everything.
    https://www.benq.eu/en-eu/knowledge-...g-monitor.html

i thought about going 32" 1440p to mach my 24" 1080p but pixel density sucks.

our HTPC that is plugged in on a Samsung 55" 4k monitor, scaling is set to 300% since we are 6-7ft away but I tested it at 100% scaling and it was like having 4 27" 1080p monitors lol. pretty cool but a lot of head turning to see all corners
    Ahhh ok yah this makes a lot of sense.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

Looking for feedback from my fellow monitor experts. Not 4K monitors in question but didn't want to start a new thread.

Any idea if these are a decent deal? looking to upgrade my dual 24s at home to dual 27s:
    https://www.costco.ca/samsung-27-in....100712457.html

I don't game - just office work. Anything that sticks out anyone that says i should not buy these?

thanks in advance for any guidance.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Looking for feedback from my fellow monitor experts. Not 4K monitors in question but didn't want to start a new thread.

Any idea if these are a decent deal? looking to upgrade my dual 24s at home to dual 27s:
    https://www.costco.ca/samsung-27-in....100712457.html

I don't game - just office work. Anything that sticks out anyone that says i should not buy these?

thanks in advance for any guidance.
    24" is probably about as big as you'd want to go at 1080. Without increasing resolution, you get the same amount of screen real estate and everything will just be bigger/huge.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    24" is probably about as big as you'd want to go at 1080. Without increasing resolution, you get the same amount of screen real estate and everything will just be bigger/huge.
    this, they are not bad monitors but all they doing is make your icons and text bigger. If you are after sharp/clear text, then 27" 1080p will not do.

1440p go 27", 1080p go 22", 24" max IMO

You better off getting a 27" 1440p and pair it with one of your 24" 1080p and call it a day or get a 34" ultrawide monitor or 32" 4k monitor

Thanks guys, you officially talked me out of it. My eyes are starting to get bad but not that bad that i need bigger text/icons. No wonder they are so cheap.

Will watch for deals on 1440p instead.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3