Quantcast
What do you not like about Calgary? - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 10 11

Thread: What do you not like about Calgary?

Originally posted by ddduke

What do you guys need a strip for? The pieces of crap you drive can barely do a quarter mile in 20 seconds.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by firebane
    1) Drivers without headlights on
    2) Drivers who do not know how to properly sit in a turn lane
    3) People with high beams on all over the place
    4) Headlights of the new busses

I can turn this more into a rant than a dislike about Calgary lol.
    There's a good one. Lack of traffic enforcement for stuff other than speeding.

My Ride
    G37X

1) Drivers without headlights on
    2) Drivers who do not know how to properly sit in a turn lane
    3) People with high beams on all over the place
    4) Headlights of the new busses

I can turn this more into a rant than a dislike about Calgary lol.
    And the lifted trucks with HID's, nothing like having my cabin completely lit up and not being able to see anything behind me.

Cons:

- Cab Drivers
    - Pickup trucks and their drivers
    - Trains that stop at redlights
    - Lack of dynamic high density urban planning (see TD PLACE area in ottawa)
    - Inadequate and aging sports venues
    - The NE
    - Random weeks of -30c
    - Too many parks (although south fish creek is awesome)
    - Booming homeless population
    - Rampant immigration outpacing city planning / development
    - Lack of nightlife downtown
    - Staying out past 2am on a weekend
    - U of C : Lack of pride, school spirit, identity. (microcosm of the city)

Pro
    - Safe, Clean, Nice people
    - Beautiful (seriously, some of the views in our city are outstanding)
    - Corporate Calgary; well connected thus making reputation important)
    - Path Systems, +15s
    - Small town feel in a big city
    - Great wages, low tax
    - Access to the mountains
    - Great summers
    - Resilience through disaster
    - Stampeders!
    Last edited by colt22; 12-25-2014 at 11:00 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

First time I've heard too many parks as a bad thing, but other than that I pretty much agree with all of yours

Originally posted by Mibz
    I can think of 25 million reasons that people might be upset about that bridge. None of which is the inclusion of dedicated bike lanes.
    25 million reasons when they'd still have 19 million reasons to just get a plain concrete bridge across it.

Not many complaints about the other bridge further down the river that is predicted to have less traffic across it for a while.

People being mad about an infrastructure project doesn't necessarily mean they're mad at every aspect of it, or that they think the entire project is useless. I don't think that anybody would argue that the city could use more art and/or education, but the blue circle and the overpriced library are poor executions of those good intentions. Just as I feel the removal of traffic lanes on 8 St and Northmount (Northland?) Dr are poor executions of the noble goal to add incentive to biking.
    The desire for more art and/or interesting architecture yet people complain about spending $6M more on a bridge that despite all the bitching people seem to love taking pictures of, and a

EDIT: That's not to say there aren't people who just bitch for the sake of bitching. It just feels like you (FixedGear and kertejud2) are assuming that anybody who opposes some of these changes fails to understand the value of bicycle infrastructure.
    To put it bluntly and/or arrogantly, they don't understand the value.

You can't add more lanes downtown. It's just that simple. Similarly, you can't add more lanes going into downtown. Yet more and more people will need to go there so vehicle traffic can only possibly get worse and it has been for a while. This doesn't even take into account the cost and availability of parking.

So rather than just accepting that this year will be worse than last year and last year was worse than the year before it, you need to invest in other, more sustainable modes of transportation. Transit is efficient at moving lots and lost of people, but it costs a lot. $300M+ just to add 33% capacity to the current system on the LRT alone. To expand it further will cost billions.

Meanwhile in the past 20 years while the share of cars going downtown has shrunk, cycling and walking have gone up over 100%. This is with minimal investment into improving these modes of transportation. The main concern of people who don't bike but would like to is safety, which cycle tracks address. The cycle track network costs less than $20M for an ever increasing share of riders. This is a much, much more efficient way to spend $ to improve commuting for people, remembering that if you're in a car, it simply cannot improve. So you sacrifice the more costly and less efficient mode of transportation for one that costs less and has a chance of improvement.

Greater mode share of cyclists means that you reduce people's need for a car, at least in the inner city. Do that, and you can have more condo buildings that don't have parking in them because there would be groups of people who don't need to own a car. This makes these buildings much, much cheaper and therefore provides more affordable housing while also increasing density, which improves business and service efficiency.

In short, if you consider yourself fiscally responsible, to be against bike lanes is to accept that you're willing to support the less cost efficient modes of transportation with no possible improvement for that mode in the future. Just doesn't make sense.

-Pricks who cut me off when approaching red lights.
    -Druh
    -N.E and the people who live there...

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by kertejud2

In short, if you consider yourself fiscally responsible, to be against bike lanes is to accept that you're willing to support the less cost efficient modes of transportation with no possible improvement for that mode in the future. Just doesn't make sense.
    Fuck bike lanes. They aren't worth the investment as only a select few amount of people are really ever going to use them. You can install all the damn bike lanes you want but it isn't going to increase ridership.

I live on a main bike route path and during the warmer days of the year I will see 7-8 people use it. Then the winter hits and guess what? Maybe just maybe I'll see 2 or 3 people use the same bike lane.

If you want to help Calgary then get the LRT more reliable and efficient and improve the bus service. In a city such as Calgary with massive urban sprawl bike paths are not the answer in any way at all.

Fuck bike lanes. They aren't worth the investment as only a select few amount of people are really ever going to use them. You can install all the damn bike lanes you want but it isn't going to increase ridership.
    Then why has ridership consistently been going up?

I live on a main bike route path and during the warmer days of the year I will see 7-8 people use it. Then the winter hits and guess what? Maybe just maybe I'll see 2 or 3 people use the same bike lane.
    You should send your data over to Joe Magliocca so he doesn't have to bother. Sean Chu would be on board as well

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/124...-more-of-them/

If you want to help Calgary then get the LRT more reliable and efficient and improve the bus service.
    Okay, we'll put cycle track money into the transit system. Who is going to pay the next $12.983B for the Route Ahead Plan?

In a city such as Calgary with massive urban sprawl bike paths are not the answer in any way at all. [/B]
    It is an answer for the people who live (and work) in the inner city.

Why should they have their transportation options limited because of people who chose to live somewhere they are forced to choose between only two?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Well apparently I know where you are in regards to transportation in this City so its not worth trying to talk any sense into you.

Well apparently I know where you are in regards to transportation in this City so its not worth trying to talk any sense into you.
    Apparently you think we can build more roads into downtown, so why should anybody listen to you?

You can build transit, but it isn't cheap.

But most importantly, improving transit does not mean you can't improve anything else. Improving the LRT doesn't really help people who live in the Beltline.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Apparently you think we can build more roads into downtown, so why should anybody listen to you?

You can build transit, but it isn't cheap.

But most importantly, improving transit does not mean you can't improve anything else. Improving the LRT doesn't really help people who live in the Beltline.
    I never said ANYTHING about building more roads. Currect infrastructure sucks balls for that and you could ban all vehicles on the road and only allow bikes and I would be of the thousands who simply would not bike.

People do not want to bike to work... people don't want to take bus/train to work but biking is too much work and driving is too expensive so our only last chance is transit.

I never said ANYTHING about building more roads. Currect infrastructure sucks balls for that and you could ban all vehicles on the road and only allow bikes and I would be of the thousands who simply would not bike.
    Nobody is forcing you to bike. If you don't want to bike to work, don't fucking bike then. After all nobody is saying ANYTHING about exclusively building bike lanes.

People do not want to bike to work... people don't want to take bus/train to work but biking is too much work and driving is too expensive so our only last chance is transit.
    People don't want to take the bus or train to work yet there are 300,000 trips per day on the train alone. "Nobody takes the train, it's always too full". Why would they expand train capacity if nobody took it? Why would they build bus lanes on 4th Street if nobody took the #3? Solely investing in one form of transportation is completely dumb, especially when walking and cycling provide an even greater bang for the buck than mass transit does.

People don't want to bike to work for many reasons. That's their choice. There are people who DO want to bike to work (despite your assertions), but who don't feel they can because it is unsafe because they don't like biking in traffic. These people effectively want the choice of how they get to work. That's who you build bike lanes for because there are enough of them to justify spending such a small amount of transportation funding on them. A smaller share of the transportation budget is being spent on cyclists than the percent of people that cycle as their preferred mode of transportation. For any fiscal hawks, that should be the end of the discussion.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

When you don't have any options left you will make one work.. In the case of most Calgarians that is taking the train.

I absolutely HAAAAAAAAAAAATE the train but what other choice do I have? Biking is out.. taking the car is out and walking just is not going to happen.

When you don't have any options left you will make one work.. In the case of most Calgarians that is taking the train.

I absolutely HAAAAAAAAAAAATE the train but what other choice do I have? Biking is out.. taking the car is out and walking just is not going to happen.
    And in the case of other Calgarians, one of their options is to bike. Why should that option be taken away from them just because you don't want to bike, or walk?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

And in the case of other Calgarians, one of their options is to bike. Why should that option be taken away from them just because you don't want to bike, or walk?
    Again I never said it should be taken away.. but there doesn't need to be such massive focus on bike lanes when SOOOOOOO many other issues prexist with the current infrastructure.

Starting implementing bike lanes over the other infrastructure and it will just keep falling behind.

Again I never said it should be taken away.. but there doesn't need to be such massive focus on bike lanes when SOOOOOOO many other issues prexist with the current infrastructure.

Starting implementing bike lanes over the other infrastructure and it will just keep falling behind.
    Again, a bike lane (or the entire cycle track network) is not what is standing between transit projects being done or not. The money is insignificant, the people in charge of the planning aren't even the same.

For nearly all of these projects they are implemented concurrently with road or sidewalk improvements so you're not even robbing the crews that would otherwise be busy digging the underground stations for the LRT.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

there are a few things about Calgary that irritate me, but nothing I'd go as far to say I actually HATE - I wouldn't have stayed here if I hated the place, I'd have just moved somewhere else when I got laid off in the spring there.

one thing that bothers me a little bit, and its not even that big of a deal for me since I live in a condo, is the snow removal thing.

why is it the law to clear the sidewalk at your house and driveway, yet parking-lots at stores are never cleared?

Oh, I'd also quite like a decent level of soccer to go watch...MLS team please!

On the music note, a relevant Herald article.

http://calgaryherald.com/entertainme...ig-way-in-2014

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 10 11