Quantcast
CBSA Opening Personal Mail?? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: CBSA Opening Personal Mail??

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Default CBSA Opening Personal Mail??

so I just received via Fedex International a single 5x11" peice of paper in a single envelope (weighted under 30 grams) which also had a bank card attached to it.

The CBSA not only opened the Fedex courier cardboard sleeve, but then opened and inspected my private mail and bank card. No inspection notice was left in the envelope, no reason given for the invasion of my privacy.

I tried to figure out why they did it. Looked up their policy which states they cant open private mail under 30 grams. Also thought maybe a bank card was covered under that money laundering thing that gives them a right to search, but bank cards are not "monetary instruments".

It just seems that this was totally unnecessary as they could see exactly what was inside the envelope when they x-rayed it. The only thing I can think of is that the CBSA is reporting to CRA people that have bank accounts in other countries?

has this type of thing happened to anyone else?
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Do you usually receive bank cards from outside the country?

http://m.natgeotv.com/ca/border-security

They can open anything they want under my impression, I haven't read any policies though so who knows. If it crosses the border it isn't private.

Watching the TV show gives you some examples.

One legitimate example could be they suspected it was a stolen card being shipped into the country.
    Last edited by killramos; 12-22-2014 at 05:06 PM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default Re: CBSA Opening Personal Mail??

Originally posted by broken_legs
    so I just received via Fedex International a single 5x11" peice of paper in a single envelope (weighted under 30 grams) which also had a bank card attached to it.

The CBSA not only opened the Fedex courier cardboard sleeve, but then opened and inspected my private mail and bank card. No inspection notice was left in the envelope, no reason given for the invasion of my privacy.

I tried to figure out why they did it. Looked up their policy which states they cant open private mail under 30 grams. Also thought maybe a bank card was covered under that money laundering thing that gives them a right to search, but bank cards are not "monetary instruments".

It just seems that this was totally unnecessary as they could see exactly what was inside the envelope when they x-rayed it. The only thing I can think of is that the CBSA is reporting to CRA people that have bank accounts in other countries?

has this type of thing happened to anyone else?
    Just wondering how you know the CBSA opened it, if there was no notice?

Regardless, the CBSA can open whatever the hell they want.

Postal Program -- Importing by Mail

How the process works

As with all goods coming into Canada, a proper declaration must be made on any items being imported by mail to enable border services officers (BSOs) to correctly assess the incoming goods.

When an item is mailed to Canada from abroad, the sender completes a customs declaration form giving the value, origin and a detailed description of the goods.

Upon arrival in Canada, all international mail items are presented by Canada Post to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) to process through the Agency's Postal Program.

BSOs visually inspect each piece of mail to determine its admissibility and confirm whether it contains dutiable or taxable goods. If the BSO determines that a mail item is not prohibited from entering Canada and is not subject to duties or taxes, the item is released to Canada Post for immediate delivery.

Otherwise, the BSO forwards the item for further inspection by the CBSA or by another government department or agency before the item can continue in the postal process.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Default Re: Re: CBSA Opening Personal Mail??

Originally posted by spikerS

Just wondering how you know the CBSA opened it, if there was no notice?

Regardless, the CBSA can open whatever the hell they want.

To clarify, there was CBSA tape on the fedex envelope and the letter inside had been cut-open.

I used this link for my information:
    http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...5-1-1-eng.html
    Opening Mail

28. Border services officers have the authority to examine goods under section 99 of the Customs Act. This authority may be exercised if there are reasonable grounds to suspect that a mail item contains goods subject to the Customs Tariff, or any goods prohibited, controlled, or regulated under any other Act of Parliament.

29. Under subsection 99(2) of the Customs Act, a border services officer may not open any mail item that weighs 30 grams or less, unless the addressee or sender has given the authorization to do so.

30. CBSA Mail Opening policy requires the weight of the external shipping packaging be considered when determining the total weight of the mail item in order to arrive at the 30-gram limit.

31. Under CBSA Private Communication policy, while conducting a physical examination of mail items, border services officers are not permitted to read personal or private communications intended for the addressee. Personal or private communications include correspondence, information, letters, messages, notes, and similar communications whether or not enclosed in an envelope. The term correspondence does not include invoices, order forms, cheques, newspapers, magazines, books, catalogues, blank forms, manuscripts, or recorded mass storage devices such as tapes, microfilm, or discs.

^^^ So they have to read it first to determine whether or not they're allowed to read it... rrrrrRight.

Exception : If a seizure action has taken place and the border services officer has reasonable and probable grounds to suspect that a communication found accompanying seized goods may contain evidence of illegality, an exception to the foregoing private communications policy is permitted.

^^ There were no seized goods, so no exception to the rule.

32. Under subsection 17(1) of the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act, a border services officer may examine any mail that is being imported or exported and open or cause to be opened any such mail that the officer suspects on reasonable grounds contains currency or monetary instruments of a value equal to or greater than the amount prescribed. If the mail item is less than 30 grams, the sender or recipient’s authorization is required. Refer to Memorandum D19-14-1, Cross-Border Currency and Monetary Instruments Reporting, for more information.

^^^ This. So they x-rayed it, saw a credit card - And the Credit Card was "Reasonable grounds" to find something illegal which is NOT a credit card? A Credi card and or bank card are not "Monetary isntruments" as per definition of the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act

33. It is the sender’s responsibility to accurately report the value and clearly describe the contents of any mail item. See Appendix C for the prescribed elements required for reporting.

^^ It was reported as business documents - Which it was. with a value of 1.00, which is likely 1.00 higher than the actual value of zero.

34. Border services officers may open a mail item and review invoices to ensure the most accurate assessment is made. Mail items that are opened and subsequently assessed duties and taxes or released for delivery are normally closed with tape marked Opened by CBSA, Form E608. If the border services officer uses clear sealing tape to close the item, the mail item must be stamped “Cleared Customs.” See Appendix D for a copy of Form E608.

35. Form E605, Your Package Has Been Examined should be included in mail items that are opened because there was not enough information on the declaration. E605 is used to advise importers of CBSA requirements to ensure future shipments are properly declared. Mail items that are subsequently released for delivery or assessed duties and or taxes are closed with customs tape referred to as Form E608 and resealed with clear sealing tape. If clear sealing tape is used to close the item, the item must be stamped “Examined by CBSA.” See Appendix E for a copy of Form E605.
    So again there was no explanation given, no forms (E605 or E608 or anything) included in the opened mail.

There was no money, no cheques, no monetary instruments

Just a bank card on a single 5x11 peice of paper in an envelope that weighed less than 30 grams.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    is broken

Next time use Bitcoin :P
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If it was in a FedEx envelop it must have weighed more than 30 grams?

Credit card weights 6-12. Aingle peice of paper about 5.

Ordinary envelope 5-10?

FedEx international envelope? More?

Invalidates a ton of your arguments.

Also does a FedEx envelope still count as mail or a package?

Just some considerations.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by killramos
    If it was in a FedEx envelop it must have weighed more than 30 grams?

Credit card weights 6-12. Aingle peice of paper about 5.

Ordinary envelope 5-10?

FedEx international envelope? More?

Invalidates a ton of your arguments.

Also does a FedEx envelope still count as mail or a package?

Just some considerations.
    I feel like your trying to internet argue with me. I haven't made a single argument to be invalidated, let alone a "ton".

This is my opinion from my first post:
    It just seems that this was totally unnecessary as they could see exactly what was inside the envelope when they x-rayed it.
    I guess we should just all accept that there is no assumed level of privacy, digital or physical, and the government can snoop all of our shit whenever it wants.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by broken_legs

I feel like your trying to internet argue with me. I haven't made a single argument to be invalidated, let alone a "ton".

This is my opinion from my first post:

I guess we should just all accept that there is no assumed level of privacy, digital or physical, and the government can snoop all of our shit whenever it wants.

I think it is pretty unlikely that cbsa performed an illegal search of your letter.

That aside I'm not arguing with you but trying to come up with an explanation of how they could have legally done the search.

The x-Ray still does not invalidate my point that they could have been investigating if the card was stolen or fake and being shipped overseas.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 09:19 PM.