Quantcast
Zwift online cycling - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Zwift online cycling

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Congrats man.

I'd say we should start a Beyond cycling zwift group but I don't want to embarrass myself
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

It's just for fun. If you really need to gain an advantage you can always adjust your weight

I'm done in a week with the 12wk program. Then I can finally do some free roaming. May be we can form a Beyond pace line. It's actually easier to lead than in real life as you can see the effort of the person behind you and the distance away.

My Ride
    Macan GTS

So I'm all set up and things are working beautifully. Butt is sore though, haven't sat on a bike in a while lol

On Zwift, I've done a free ride and a 2x15 min FTP workout.

Thinking about what I should do from here. Initial thoughts are to do the Standard FTP test tomorrow, and then do the 10-12 week FTP builder but skip the first 2 weeks because "I'm in shape" This will probably last then until the beginning of the season.

Other thoughts or recommendations?

I'm also gonna try to pick up that ANT+ dongle from GPS city, so that Zwift can handle all the sensor data and then not use my Garmin

Msommers what handle do you go by, I'll look you up

My Ride
    Wankels!

Originally posted by kJUMP
    So I'm all set up and things are working beautifully. Butt is sore though, haven't sat on a bike in a while lol

On Zwift, I've done a free ride and a 2x15 min FTP workout.

Thinking about what I should do from here. Initial thoughts are to do the Standard FTP test tomorrow, and then do the 10-12 week FTP builder but skip the first 2 weeks because "I'm in shape" This will probably last then until the beginning of the season.

Other thoughts or recommendations?

I'm also gonna try to pick up that ANT+ dongle from GPS city, so that Zwift can handle all the sensor data and then not use my Garmin

I'd give gpscity a quick call just to make sure it's in stock

I know lilmira did the 12 week ftp builder and his FTP was the same after the 12 weeks as it was before
    That said, if you're in shape but haven't biked recently you might really benefit from it. I think lilmira biked a lot this year so I wouldn't be surprised if he needs something a little more intensive to up his FTP.

Also, for FTP test have a bucket handy. Enjoy!

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Hey Khalil, I did the 12wk ftp builder last year. I find it a bit on the easy side. Like you said, I was falling asleep the first few weeks. I ended up gaining 5Watts or so. Not that I was disappointed, I was just trying to stay in shape. This year I tried the winter program but I cranked up the ftp bench mark 10Watts higher than my actual level. It's a workout right off the batt. There were sessions that I could not finish without taking breaks. Ftp doesn't lie, you just can't tough it up. My ftp is already up 5Watts at half way and I lost some weight so it's double whammy.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I think it's just Matt S on there but I'm not totally sure yet.

Everything syncs up perfectly, super easy. Once the bike was mounted on the Neo, it seems like I need to make some derailleur adjustments as in some gears I get some pretty loud clicks which I never got before. I used the same cassette as before so I'm thinking the spacing is just off slightly. The top and bottom rear cogs limits work as they should - maybe just the tension needs to be tweaked or something.

The good news is I'm not getting any weird noises from the trainer itself, just the chain clicking a lot in the rear.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Yeah my kickr does the same thing. I had to put another bike on last week since the chain was done, click click click. Oh well first world problem.

My Ride
    Macan GTS

Ya I had to adjust the front and rear limits when I loaded up the Neo because some gears weren't even engaging but now it's purring like a kitten.

Just did the short FTP test this morning. FTP = 187W, 5 sec max = 335W. Think I'll really benefit with the FTP builder program

My Ride
    Wankels!

Ya I had to adjust the front and rear limits when I loaded up the Neo because some gears weren't even engaging but now it's purring like a kitten.

Just did the short FTP test this morning. FTP = 187W, 5 sec max = 335W. Think I'll really benefit with the FTP builder program
    Sweet. Are you riding clipless?

I want to know lilmira's ftp.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

239W measured with the Kickr few weeks ago. I know the 4iiii precision reads about 30W lower consistently so I'll take the Kickr reading lol. FTP is only one aspect of performance, ultimately it's the person who crosses the 1/4mile point first, or something like that

My Ride
    Wankels!

Originally posted by lilmira
    239W measured with the Kickr few weeks ago. I know the 4iiii precision reads about 30W lower consistently so I'll take the Kickr reading lol. FTP is only one aspect of performance, ultimately it's the person who crosses the 1/4mile point first, or something like that
    I'm on the 4iiii - when everything (Precision AND Garmin Vectors) are properly calibrated it's extremely close to the garmin vectors. I'm surprised to hear that the Wahoo would be that much higher. Do you have an article that talks about this discrepancy?

Agreed that FTP is only one aspect of performance. Power to weight ratio is usually more important as soon as any hills are involved. I race cyclocross and don't have a super impressive FTP but have lots of punchy power so I accelerate well and because I'm relatively light I climb reasonably well.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I've read similar experience from other users as well. Some people suggest warming up the kickr for 15min first before the spindown calibration. I don't have time for that lol. You wouldn't think that matters as I believe both devices use some sort of strain gauge. Both are stored in the same environment. Do a search on kickr accuracy and it won't take long to find similar stories.
    This is one article. Apparently the accuracy can be off in the low range and the high range. So I guess I suck
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26915606
    The good thing is that it's quite consistent. For me I use the number for comparison, if I'm x+10W then I'm happy. If I'm x-10W then I suck lol.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Most of the articles I read said the Kickr was quite accurate, being within a couple % of other power meters. The article you linked also mentions that, but says accuracy is slightly worse at <200w and >750w. For an FTP test most people will be in the 200w-700w range anyway

I should recalibrate my Precision and do another FTP this weekend maybe. I want to be over 300w by spring which means I have to hold around 320w for 20 minutes.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

That's pretty impressive number. It's good that I have a small frame. I've been told numerous times that riding behind me makes no difference.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Haha - that's why I like drafting behind my brother as he's 6'3". Problem is he's no longer faster than I am so last time we rode he did most of the drafting

If you're a smaller/lighter person then 239w is quite excellent.

My Ride
    Macan GTS

Originally posted by Penguin_Racecar

Sweet. Are you riding clipless?

I want to know lilmira's ftp.
    Yup riding clipless. Why you ask, is my FTP that low??

I agree though, FTP is one aspect of performance. I'm pretty lithe at 6'0" and 145 lbs with decent endurance but could definitely benefit from an increase in strength.

I started the 12 week FTP program today, skipped the first 2 weeks and the first day of the third week, cuz they all seemed pretty low intensity. Today's day 2 wasn't bad but think I'm gonna increase the FTP slider to 200W and see how things go from there.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Yup riding clipless. Why you ask, is my FTP that low??

I agree though, FTP is one aspect of performance. I'm pretty lithe at 6'0&quot; and 145 lbs with decent endurance but could definitely benefit from an increase in strength.

I started the 12 week FTP program today, skipped the first 2 weeks and the first day of the third week, cuz they all seemed pretty low intensity. Today's day 2 wasn't bad but think I'm gonna increase the FTP slider to 200W and see how things go from there.
    Was just curious - there can be a big difference in power output between flat pedals and clipped in. At 145lbs / 6 feet I'm guessing you're pretty lean without a lot of muscle mass. That said, FTP tests aren't necessarily about having big muscle mass. I'd expect good gains from the FTP program for you seeing as you haven't been on the bike in a while. Your pacing should improve so you can hold a wattage for the entire 20 minutes also.
    lilmira mentioned that the first time around the FTP builder program wasn't challenging enough, so bumping the FTP slider to 200w is probably a good move. I haven't looked that closely at the FTP builder program, but a training program usually has some easier days and recovery days as well as some ridiculously hard days.

I'm in the process of coming up with a proper training plan so I can then create custom workouts in Zwift. Have to come up with some goals for this year as well...

When you guys say good deal on the Neo, about how much?

My 4iiii left reports lower than my Tacx vortex. However, when beta testing the iOS zwift, I found that my power goes up / down quicker or more responsive. And the numbers were closer between the two devices. So I switched to the power meter readings. Then came the latest firmware update on the 4iiii, the lower reading came back. I wonder if one of the previous firmware updates on the 4iiii changed the scaling factor and then corrected it back to 1.0 (left / right 50/50) on the latest version.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Being a single side PM probably has something to do with it too but I doubt that there is that much difference between my legs. I'll have to do some comparison at different power output when I'm bored.

My Ride
    Wankels!

I assume you recalibrated your 4iiii PRECISION after the FW update? I haven't updated to the latest FW yet, for some reason my new phone couldn't connect to it via bluetooth.

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast