Quantcast
Zwift online cycling - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Zwift online cycling

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I'll check when I get home and update my post. I'm really uneasy about doing any updates as it works now just fine, minus the cobblestone effect haha

I've been searching online for awhile now, and I think the program is the BKool Simluator...but I'm looking for the app that can take current Strava data from a ride and turn that into a course that can be electronically controlled on the Neo...
    Last edited by msommers; 02-13-2017 at 10:17 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Wankels!

Interesting riding with you today lilmira - was watching your wattage for a while and it's jumping all over the place even on the flat. Is this caused by the smart trainer?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Good stuff! Was that the first official beyond virtual group ride? I think our pace is pretty close unless you are sandbagging lol. I have my resistance level turned to the max. That's why the output fluctuates so much. If my cadence is high before ascent, the output can ramp up rapidly as the resistance increases. It's the opposite on descent.

Interesting side story. I was talking to Cyclepath to find me a new ride. They offered me the specialized tarmac as one of the options. I asked them when they started selling specialized. Apparently the bike shop got bought out. May be I can step foot into that shop again.

Originally posted by lilmira
    Interesting side story. I was talking to Cyclepath to find me a new ride. They offered me the specialized tarmac as one of the options. I asked them when they started selling specialized. Apparently the bike shop got bought out. May be I can step foot into that shop again.
    as in Cyclepath now owns The Bike Shop? oh nice. now if the people at the bike shop can be as nice / approachable as the people at the cyclepath north (haven't been to the south one), that would be great.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Yeah, same owner now. I checked out the bike shop's webpage and their facebook page. It looks like they are keeping the name and there is no mentioning of the association. Perhaps there is a lot of loyal customers to the bike shop. Don't ask me why lol. Sounds like that's the reason why they wanted that shop. I told Brad that I hate that shop. He said "I know" lol. I'm sure they know what area they can work on to improve the image. We'll see.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Yeah Cyclepath North has been awesome to me, dealing specifically with Brad. What happened with that Speedtheory thread? I wonder if someone ended up getting an R5 lol...

As it turns out, it is BKool that I was needing. Problem is they have very specific/finicky 3D rendering rules that isn't listed anywhere (no longer than 60km, no gradients above 15%, constant gradients(?)). Anyways I manually edited the .gpx for the Jasper GF I'm looking at doing and it still is only a 2D google map view. Customer service is almost non-existent and the whole experience is not nearly as intuitive as Zwift.

Zwift has little nit-picks on PC but at least it's easy to get going and as realistic as I can imagine things will be for quite some time. BKool was overall just a pain in the ass but I'm still holding out to see if they can get their shit together on this rendering as it would be pretty kick ass to basically do the route beforehand.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Wankels!

Originally posted by lilmira
    Good stuff! Was that the first official beyond virtual group ride? I think our pace is pretty close unless you are sandbagging lol. I have my resistance level turned to the max. That's why the output fluctuates so much. If my cadence is high before ascent, the output can ramp up rapidly as the resistance increases. It's the opposite on descent.

That might have been the first official accidental group ride. I averaged 322W up the Faux/Fox Hill climb so I wasn't sandbagging. Was on tired legs from soccer the day before, so there wasn't much more in it.

edit: how light are you again? You averaged 241w and did almost the same time up that hill. If it is strictly power to weight ratio that determines speed it would put you at 123lbs? I suppose there is also bike weight, but that would only be to your disadvantage as percentage wise it makes your rider+bike weight closer to mine (percentage wise).
    Last edited by Penguin_Racecar; 02-17-2017 at 08:50 AM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

You are not far off on my weight depending on what I eat that day

i wish i can average 300w+

My Ride
    Wankels!

Jesus.
    No wonder if I have a hard time keeping up on the climbs. 240ftp(?) at that body weight is impressive. I've got 40lbs on you...

Anyone using a dumb trainer? If so, how is it compared to a smart trainer? I want to give this a go, but also want the lowest buy in cost in case I end up liking staring at a wall better. I've got a Cycleops Fluid 2, HRM, speed and cadence sensors already. Think I just need the USB ANT+ stick?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Thanks to all the people who left me in the dust, girls, old men, old women and that commuter guy. I remember and I'll beat you one day.

My Ride
    Wankels!

I'm on a "dumb trainer" with a crank mounted power meter. I'm using a CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer and 4iiii power meter. I like the setup as it also allows me to ride with power outdoors.

My wife has a CycleOps Fluid 2, and an ANT+ Speed/Cadence sensor. The Fluid 2 is one of the trainers Zwift did a power curve for, so the power "measurement" should be fairly accurate assuming you have the right tire pressure and tension.

I would buy an ANT+ stick from gpscity.ca - you can go to their store in the NE near the airport also to pick one up in case you don't want to pay/wait for shipping. Should be $25 CAD.

I much prefer Zwift over staring at a wall.

Thanks Penguin, I'll give it a go.
    The only ANT+ stick I could find was $60. Is this the only one?

http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-usb-ant-stick-mini.html

My Ride
    Wankels!

Originally posted by buh_buh
    Thanks Penguin, I'll give it a go.
    The only ANT+ stick I could find was $60. Is this the only one?

http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-usb-ant-stick-mini.html
    Whoa - when did that go up to $60? There was someone on beyond that just bought one recently for the $25 list price.

They're $35 + $5.50 shipping on amazon.ca if you're willing to wait:

https://www.amazon.ca/Garmin-USB-Sti...=garmin+ant%2B

I'd stick with the brand name ones like Wahoo or Garmin, they seem to have better range and fewer dropouts.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I use the Sunnto move stick mini. I haven't had any problem with it. It's 39 bucks at MEC and it looks like they have it in stock.

Thanks guys, was going to hit up MEC anyway, so I'll give that a go.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Sweet - post your username when you're signed up on Zwift so we can add you.

My Ride
    Wankels!

In other news - riding in Maui definitely beats Watopia. Mostly did short rides because the elevation and hairpin turns makes for slow riding. Also heat.
    318km (only) but 5000m of climbing. What a glorious place to ride.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Good for you. I'm getting a bit tired of Zwift. Looking back at last year, my first ride out was on Feb 15 and I started riding regularly the last week of March. Just checked the long range forecast, I don't think that's happening this year. Now that the new bike is at home. I'm staring at it everyday and it's driving me crazy.

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast