Quantcast
Netflix cracking down on virtual border crossers? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Netflix cracking down on virtual border crossers?

Shell game is the most accurate description I've heard regarding defeating Neflix's countermeasures for DNS/VPNs.

I subscribe to a number of VPNs right now - some servers work for various countries with some VPNs, and others for other countries.

Example - the Denver 2, Chicago 1, and San Jose 3 servers with Astrill VPN work for Netflix and Hulu right now in the USA. Germany 6 works for German Netflix with Astrill. For Sweden and Norway I'm using IPVanish's servers for those regions.

It's hit or miss, and every day Netflix seems to pick off another server - then the VPNs set up different IPs for their servers, and the game starts all over again.

Eventually Netflix is going to lock regions to subscription credit cards or stated locations, and that'll be that. I'm surprised they haven't resorted to this yet, must be some legal thing regarding traveling or something, but if I was playing for their team, it'd be the easiest way, just to state in the end user agreement that whatever country you sign up in is the one you're locked to regardless of where you travel. I hope that doesn't happen. Having a dozen + Netflix catalogues is great, there are search sites which show which shows/films are available by region, so generally you can find almost anything on one of the Netflix countries' catalogues.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Gman.45
    Eventually Netflix is going to lock regions to subscription credit cards or stated locations, and that'll be that. I'm surprised they haven't resorted to this yet, must be some legal thing regarding traveling or something, but if I was playing for their team, it'd be the easiest way, just to state in the end user agreement that whatever country you sign up in is the one you're locked to regardless of where you travel.
    That's how it was setup at first. US account only gets US Netflix, and no access when travelling. Due to licensing deals, they can't legally stream US licensed content to a US account holder when travelling.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I thought it was something along those lines - I'd read that before someplace. I hope they don't try and get a legal "finding" to return to how it initially was, as I said. I'm happy to play the shell game, there is always going to be some service/system that works for geo location spoofing, so long as it remains as is regarding licensing agreements/traveling legal issues.

Are you still buying US Hulu and iTunes cards Rage? I haven't set up a US Itunes account yet, but did a Hulu one, and have found many servers work just fine, and I bought a very inexpensive 6 month card off ebay, it was about 1/3 of what a monthly sub to Hulu cost, and worked just fine.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Not sure if VPN's are working again, but Windscribe does work with netflix.

They use IPv6 with their masking, which netflix hasn't caught onto (yet).
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

Windscribe works for Netflix, I can add a +1 to that, however none of their US servers work for Hulu, which was a deal breaker for me, for now. Great little bit of software/service, if you don't care about Hulu, you can't go wrong with Windscribe IMO.

NordVPN has quite a few international servers that work for various Netflix catalogues too, and a few US servers that work for Hulu as well.

Astrill still has the greatest number of international + Hulu effective servers, and is pretty fast still for us N.A. continent users, if I was to torrent something, I'd see 4 to 5 megbytes/sec on my Sasktel 260 gig connex, and around the same on the Shaw 250 (grandfathered connex, tee hee!), from a decent site like TorrentDay or whatever. Astrill's program is easy to use, gives you the option to set it to DNS or VPN, and pick from the servers by country, and city. VPN works for Netflix with many, it used to be all, but since the crack down, I'd say about 1/3 to 1/2 of the servers are still up or have been changed as a counter measure. Same with the DNS option/IP numbers. It may take a bit of screwing around, but eventually I can find a server in any country so far, between the VPN/DNS servers I sub to, and Astill by far right now has the most, and it's pretty cheap. I watch most of my Netflix with the Windows App, so I can get Super HD stream rates of 5800kpbs+ and can manually select 5.1 sound through my home theater PC to my TV, and Astrill servers have no trouble keeping up with 3 TVs running 3 HTPCs at once at those rates.

Lots of options out there, keep the thread alive, as I'm sure it'll be a tug of war for a while still regarding location spoofing.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 05-27-2016 at 03:29 PM.

nvm

Windscribe is working now. Lol not sure but it magically started working thanks!
    Last edited by Hero_X; 05-27-2016 at 06:37 PM.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Unblock US has finally shit the bed
    Unlocator has been caught as well

anyone using a DNS service and not a VPN service?

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by Asian_defender
    Unblock US has finally shit the bed
    Unlocator has been caught as well

anyone using a DNS service and not a VPN service?
    i noticed that Unblock-US blocks only Netflix USA, however it seems like the other regions are still working (Belgium and Japan still working for me) so for now, it's not a big deal to me that USA is blocked.

trying Overplay as well but havent had to chance to try it on USA yet, will try later today.

Here's something interesting I didnt know until yesterday. If you're using a ROKU and setup an account with an american address through VPN and connect your paypal account to it. Hulu just charges the monthly fee to your Roku account. No need to mess around with American CC's or anything.

Originally posted by mix123
    Here's something interesting I didnt know until yesterday. If you're using a ROKU and setup an account with an american address through VPN and connect your paypal account to it. Hulu just charges the monthly fee to your Roku account. No need to mess around with American CC's or anything.
    I've been doing that for a couple of years now. Its a great service.

Hrrm, I have a Roku3 sitting in a box unused, it might be worth pulling it out, setting up a US account, and doing that paypal/roku US account deal - I have a US address (condo in Palm Springs) which I used for the Hulu account already, this will simplify things. Thanks for that tip, didn't know that one.

My Ride
    Ram SRT-10

playmo.tv

DNS for Netflix, it's currently up and working. But it's the same as others, just a wack-a-mole so it can go down anytime.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4