Quantcast
OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner

My Ride
    Has AWD

Lightbulb OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner

Im considering buying a bluetooth OBD2 scanner, their cheep enough now it seems. So far the ELM327 model(link below) was most reccomended, and the app "Torque" seems like a good app as well. Any other suggestions for bluetooth scanners? How about the app? Any beyonder reviews for the ELM series? Any reviews of the app "Torque"?

This is what I am considering for the unit.
    http://www.dx.com/p/elm327-obdii-blu...9#.VKs1Q5ETHJs

This is the app I am considering.
    http://torque-bhp.com/

My Ride
    Grimace

I have one that looks like this: http://www.amazon.ca/Wireless-Diagno...&keywords=obd2

I think it is probably just a different sticker. For that price I would probably buy 2 in case one is DOA. Torque works well though even though it is a super ugly app. I have checked codes etc. and you can make graphs and plot data. It is pretty cool.

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by schocker
    I have one that looks like this: http://www.amazon.ca/Wireless-Diagno...;keywords=obd2

I think it is probably just a different sticker. For that price I would probably buy 2 in case one is DOA. Torque works well though even though it is a super ugly app. I have checked codes etc. and you can make graphs and plot data. It is pretty cool.
    That one must be the iphone version and the one I posted is the android version. Im pretty sure thats what was used on my car yesterday on Ghost Lake. Im less than 5000km from reaching 300,000km on my RSX so I figure its time to buy a scanner and an app to go with it.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

You probably saw my post in the thread over on CSCC but if not here it is:

I use an ELM227 I got off Amazon and Torque on my Galaxy S5. I monitor oil temp, water temp, boost, air fuel ratio, IAT and oxygen sensor status normally in the BRZ. It works well other than sometimes I have to restart my phone when I use it in the car.

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    You probably saw my post in the thread over on CSCC but if not here it is:

I use an ELM227 I got off Amazon and Torque on my Galaxy S5. I monitor oil temp, water temp, boost, air fuel ratio, IAT and oxygen sensor status normally in the BRZ. It works well other than sometimes I have to restart my phone when I use it in the car.
    Indeed I did see it. CSCC is less traveled so I thought I would give beyond a shot to see whats beyonders are using. So far par for par, that ELM unit seems to be the one to get. For an app Torque is trending well too lol.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

ELM327's are hit and miss, I bought one from Amazon that didnt work on half of my android devices. I use it solely to scan my POS Jeep for engine codes, it has no other systems. My 327 was 15$ and I don't really regret it.

If you want to scan more than just engine and OBD2 complaint data streams you'll need a product that supports licensed scanning. I use EasyDiag with a subscription to the makes I need but I can scan SRS, ABS, doors etc. I mainly use mine to watch data streaming while under a vehicle at work. Lot easier than a large bulky OEM scan tool.

I own 4 of these... 3/4 of them work and 1 of them doesn't work. I paid about $20 for my first one 5 years ago (wow time flies!). I put one in every car and keep one in my work travel bag in case my rental car runs into trouble. The one I picked up most recently is identical to the older ones but I paid ~$5 for it.

My Ride
    is broken

You can get them super cheap on eBay. Wifi for iOS and Bluetooth for Andriod.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    '04 Civic, '07 Element SC

FYI, If you want to go the bluetooth route on iOS, you need to be both jailbroken and use http://www.roqy-bluetooth.net/wp/ (cheap plugin off cydia).

I own the orange and purple one mentioned above (eBay) and have been able to get it running with the jailbroken method, and also with my android phone with various apps.

Edit: Was looking around and it seems wifi models are now available. - http://www.dx.com/p/elm327-obd-wi-fi...3#.VKtuJorF9o8
    Last edited by Afrodeziak; 01-05-2015 at 11:11 PM.

I have the am and the ELM from amazon.

it worked for a while and then crapped out.

Not sure if it's worth it, but I managed to buy BMW Manufacturer (not just the dealer) software from eBay for ~$65 shipped. Maybe that's an option, unless you need real time info all the time

My Ride
    Has four wheels

I've read that this guy is much more reliable than the POS ELM327 ones. But at $100, it is much more expensive, hence why I haven't pulled the trigger on it.

http://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/s...bdlink-mx.html

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Stealth22
    I've read that this guy is much more reliable than the POS ELM327 ones. But at $100, it is much more expensive, hence why I haven't pulled the trigger on it.

http://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/s...bdlink-mx.html
    That would be tres cool on an android deck.

I'm new to this game, I got a KIWI2BT for Christmas, and downloaded the paid version ($5) of the Torque app. Yes, it is ugly. I have yet to check a code though. I've been using the horsepower reader thing, it says it is power at the wheels, and I know it's icy out so it's hard to get an accurate reading... anyway how do you get it to save?? I've made a car profile, managed to get some numbers clocked, and then when you close the app, it loses all the data! I've tried reopening the app and then loading the car profile again, but none of the real time data saves... unless it is somewhere else now? Help!

I've also been comparing speed on GPS vs the device vs the actual cars speedometer. I feel like the GPS is most accurate, maybe even more accurate than the cars? I am running on slightly smaller than oem rims for winter, and the GPS speedometer reads slightly slower than the cars speedometer

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

$5 bluetooth one off ebay from china. First one had an issue with the pins pushing into the device after a couple years of having it and moving it between vehicles and such. It more then paid for itself. On my second one now but for $5 wgaf.

My advise, order 2-3 cheap Chinese ones for the same price as the amazon one and keep them kicking around the house in case the one your using breaks.

Oh and torque free version is all you need to read and reset codes (all I use mine for really)
    Signature..... I ate it!!

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

Originally posted by Chantastic

I've also been comparing speed on GPS vs the device vs the actual cars speedometer. I feel like the GPS is most accurate, maybe even more accurate than the cars? I am running on slightly smaller than oem rims for winter, and the GPS speedometer reads slightly slower than the cars speedometer
    Even with stock wheels and tires you will likely see a difference between your speedo and GPS. The GPS will likely be the most accurate for steady state speeds but lags behind during acceleration. Automakers tend to calibrate their speedometers so that they always read above the speed traveled (although wheel and tire changes could counteract this) On my old RX8 it would vary between 1.5-2% off depending on tire wear compared to both GPS and time/distance calculations over a precise distance.

^ good to know, thanks!

Originally posted by Chantastic
    anyway how do you get Torque to save?? I've made a car profile, managed to get some numbers clocked, and then when you close the app, it loses all the data! I've tried reopening the app and then loading the car profile again, but none of the real time data saves... unless it is somewhere else now? Help!
    Anyone?