Quantcast
Calcium chloride on city streets - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calcium chloride on city streets

My Ride
    W204

Default Calcium chloride on city streets

I believe they started spraying this in 2010 and onwards.. From what I gather, it melts snow/ice at up to -15c, but I've noticed in the past few years that roads like Crowchild Tr become virtual skating rinks with endless amounts of black ice as soon as it goes below -15c (like in the past few days). My car is slipping and sliding while driving in a straight line (Toyota Matrix, Nokians Hakka RSi's in case you're wondering). My Mercedes did this but always thought it was the tires/alignment.

Now.. I can't prove anything but just based on my observations. Anyone else notice this?

Question: Stoney is provincially owned - do they spray that solution on there? Because I notice that Stoney does not seem to suffer from this issue.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    LX 5.0

I do not have the answer to your question, but I believe because there is far less stop/start traffic on Stoney vs. Crowchild the road stays in better shape. I have also seen black ice on Stoney, but it tends to materialize in merging lanes mostly.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I've noticed this too. I remember mentioning it in another thread.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

The city cant win with the snow.

If they dont use the antifreeze before it snows, people complain and cry about lack of due diligence.

If they do use antifreeze and it gets shit cold, it all freezes again and people complain.

If it were up to me, it would be small gravel ONLY and no plowing to bare asphalt. Leave the blades an inch up to allow the gravel to stick to the layer (this is what is done in the Nordic countries).

People also have to take mandatory winter driving road exams.
    Last edited by revelations; 01-07-2015 at 12:12 PM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Why hasn't someone invented a machine that harvests the snow clouds into fresh water yet? I need to patent this! I'd be solving so many problems all at once!

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by revelations
    The city cant win with the snow.

If they dont use the antifreeze before it snows, people complain and cry about lack of due diligence.

If they do use antifreeze and it gets shit cold, it all freezes again and people complain.

If it were up to me, it would be small gravel ONLY and no plowing to bare asphalt. Leave the blades an inch up to allow the gravel to stick to the layer (this is what is done in the Nordic countries).

and:

My Ride

^ Apparently Quebec dropped their winter vehicle accident rate by some 20% after the law was passed.

Not huge, but an improvement for sure!

20% is huge

My Ride

BTW, apparently solutions of Calcium Chloride can depress the freezing point of water down to -50c.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

BTW, apparently solutions of Calcium Chloride can depress the freezing point of water down to -50c.
    Yup. Here's a chart of a few salts...

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I'm betting they spray a concentration that can do that, but neglect to account for how much snow melting into the solution thereby diluting it.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Re: Calcium chloride on city streets

Originally posted by clem24

Now.. I can't prove anything but just based on my observations. Anyone else notice this?
    The plows don't use metal blades anymore, they have some sort of plastic/rubber blade to prevent blade wear and road degradation.

This basically means they remove the snow, and make a nice, perfectly packed and polished thin layer of rock hard snow/ice to drive on

My Ride

Went to Cross Iron mall the other day from the deep south with my Audi A4 Quattro equipped with brand new winter tires. Going north I chose Deerfoot and felt my car sliding around quite a bit, was sketchy going 100, had to switch into a slower lane and drive 80-90. Decided to take Stoney back south and had no issues at all going 100-110

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

I don't get the pea gravel thing either. Why can't we just use sand soaked/treated with Calcium Cloride and call it a day.

I can't stand when people on stoney zone out and swerve in to the shoulder spitting up massive amounts of gravel back in to traffic. DRIVES ME NUTS

My Ride
    93 integra

Originally posted by Mibz
    20% is huge
    THIS!!!

I am so effing fed up with people denying the use of winter tires in CANADA where we have WINTER...

Tantamount to not using any sunscreen in summer, not using birth control/condoms...

Stupid is as stupid does I guess. At least they all crash their cars and learn the hard way.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by ekguy
    THIS!!!

I am so effing fed up with people denying the use of winter tires in CANADA where we have WINTER...

Tantamount to not using any sunscreen in summer, not using birth control/condoms...

Stupid is as stupid does I guess. At least they all crash their cars and learn the hard way.
    Sorry brah, winter is only 6 months of the year, no need

Default Re: Calcium chloride on city streets

Originally posted by clem24
    I believe they started spraying this in 2010 and onwards.. From what I gather, it melts snow/ice at up to -15c, but I've noticed in the past few years that roads like Crowchild Tr become virtual skating rinks with endless amounts of black ice as soon as it goes below -15c (like in the past few days). My car is slipping and sliding while driving in a straight line (Toyota Matrix, Nokians Hakka RSi's in case you're wondering). My Mercedes did this but always thought it was the tires/alignment.

Question: Stoney is provincially owned - do they spray that solution on there? Because I notice that Stoney does not seem to suffer from this issue.
    I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday and this morning when my commute was a bitch.

I think the city has stopped using sand either completely or down to a bare minimum. There are about 20 intersections I've been through in the last few days where the lack of sand / pea gravel was obvious. I remember the times when the roads would not be plowed bare but a layer of snow left with lots of sand which was perfectly fine. And once it would warm up, there would be enough salt to melt the roadways clean.

Not entirely sure why the change... or what the change actually is.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

^ Apparently Quebec dropped their winter vehicle accident rate by some 20% after the law was passed.

Not huge, but an improvement for sure!
    Dats huge brah.

Source?

My Ride

Originally posted by riander5

Dats huge brah.

Source?
    The study (PDF, in French only) by the Quebec Ministry of Transport concludes that all winter accidents fell by 17 percent compared with the five winters preceding the enactment of the law, while accidents causing deaths or serious injuries fell by 36 percent. In Montreal, which held the lowest rate of winter tire use before the law was enacted, serious accidents fell by 46 percent.
    http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...re-of-success/

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Default Re: Re: Calcium chloride on city streets

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

The plows don't use metal blades anymore, they have some sort of plastic/rubber blade to prevent blade wear and road degradation.
    Nope. Every plow blade and belly plow blade is metal. No plastic or rubber at all. Ever see the sparks they throw?
    I load and unload them all the time so I can attest to this fact.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast