Quantcast
Right to euthanasia for children approved in Belgium. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Right to euthanasia for children approved in Belgium.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Default Right to euthanasia for children approved in Belgium.

In Belgium assisted suicide was already legal for people 18+ and now 10+. This would be impossibly hard for a parent. Personally if my child was in intolerable pain from a terminal condition and my child asked for it, it might break me, but I would.

Discuss

http://www.newsweek.com/should-sick-...hink-so-223851

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/ins...hanize-childre

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

This is the most important point to that article IMO:
    death won’t just be a matter of the child uttering his fiat mortem. The law requires statements by psychologists and doctors confirming the child’s ability to make the decision. The child’s doctors must also inform him about medical options that may ease his suffering and maintain a dialogue about his preferences.

This law does not mean it's a free for all murder fest on children, although some opponents to the law would like to have you think that.

Having the right to end you own life or the life of a family member at their request or at the combined judgement of a doctor and an adult family member is always going to be better than having a law preventing it.

Having the government tell you what you can do with your life is absolutely ridiculous.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    Horse

Nice to see that Belgium is ahead of the game in regards to the 18+ demographic. I was not aware it was legal there already.

I'm not sure how I feel about euthanasia for those under 18. I get for some kids with painful and terminal conditions it is probably best but I can't help but feel that some of those kids will be asking for it not realizing that at that age, they usually get better but more importantly, without realizing the plethora of experiences and life that they are passing up on.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Glad we as a society can move forwards with this.....leaving the religion out of it.

Originally posted by xnvy
    Nice to see that Belgium is ahead of the game in regards to the 18+ demographic. I was not aware it was legal there already.

I'm not sure how I feel about euthanasia for those under 18. I get for some kids with painful and terminal conditions it is probably best but I can't help but feel that some of those kids will be asking for it not realizing that at that age, they usually get better but more importantly, without realizing the plethora of experiences and life that they are passing up on.
    Based on the articles and what they're proposing, the kids would be "passing up" a period of horrible suffering and an extremely low, if any, quality of life, all while waiting to die. As for the kids that "usually get better", terminally ill patients don't get better - if there was a slight chance of it there is no way the doctors would support it.

The law is for children who are going to die and are living a horrible existence. +100 to Belgium for being proactive with this and like Revelations said, keeping religion out of it - if your god supports children suffering an unbearable existence waiting to die, I suggest you find a new god, or just allow your own children to suffer while not imposing on mine/other children.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

Matthew 11:28

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Has to be some religion in this thread.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by xnvy
    I can't help but feel that some of those kids will be asking for it not realizing that at that age
    I can't help but notice you didn't read the article, or the piece I quoted in my post.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    Sentra

From one day to the very next when you turn 18, you don't magically receive the gift of maturity. I've met many kids under 18 more mature than some people on here. It's just a number.

Originally posted by Modelexis
    Having the government tell you what you can do with your life is absolutely ridiculous.
    It's well beyond ridiculous.

Now what of the people who are suffering but can't communicate? For example, I'll describe someone I met a few years ago:

- He was mentally incapacitated to the point that he could not communicate.

- He had no use of his legs, and his arms were curled stumps that constantly twitched.

- He had no control over his bowels or bladder.

- His tongue hung out of his mouth, and his facial expression was of torture and agony.

- He constantly let out haunting moans of pain.

Anyway, it was clear that this man was in hell.

If it wasn't for the law, I would have mercy killed him on the spot.

I know my grandpa was able to mutter the words "I'm done" on his death bed. But really there was nothing we could do and we all heard it. They basically take the person off being fed through the IV and give him high levels of morphine until it's over. It's a terrible way to go and to see someone go this way is inhumane.
    So I'm pro-assisted suicide or mercy kill, whatever you call it. But in my case, would they grant this? Probably not because they'd say he wasn't of able mind and body.

My Ride
    Highlander

I support euthanasia and assisted suicide for terminally ill people of any age. Rules and regulations need to exist of course, as there are some who would try to do this to family members to ease a burden or gain an inheritance, but at the first sign of disease in animals, most are destroyed. Why do we make people suffer so much, especially if they're able to request it. And I don't know that I would only support terminally ill people requesting it either. I think people who end up paralyzed or badly crippled have a right to (rationally and coherently) decide they don't want to live like that. Somewhat like the main character in million dollar baby.

Kudos to belgum.

It's well known to many at Beyond, that I despise our governmental system. My concerns are mainly due to blatant violations of human rights and freedoms.

....waiting for the ludicrous comment of, "If you don't like it, then leave".

I've read thousands and thousands of user comments from blogs all across Canada on the subject. Virtually EVERY comment refers to being appalled that you can't die with dignity, even when you're begging for it. The very few exceptions were from hypocritical religious nut jobs.

The sickening and repulsive human rights violation, is in the fact that our government won't even "look at it".

We don't have freedom, we have the illusion of freedom.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by Seth1968
    We don't have freedom, we have the illusion of freedom.
    At least it's better than the illusion offered in many other countries.

Originally posted by KRyn

At least it's better than the illusion offered in many other countries.
    That's similar to the "If you don't like it, then leave" argument.

Of course there are better and worse countries when it comes to human rights and freedoms. but just because Canada isn't as bad as some, doesn't mean we should ignore our government's violations.

*BUMP*

Without wanting to go into details, suffice to say that for about the last 6 months, my mother has been terminally ill, and is in a great deal of emotional and physical pain. I found out yesterday that she has been repeatedly begging to die.

The religious people force our family at gunpoint to ignore her most fundamental and important human right. Our idiotic politicians cower to such ignorance.

To claim we have a right to live, logically means we should have the right to die. To not have the latter, means the former is an illusion, and we're just slaves to ignorance.

Have a look at the following debate. Note the illogical, self righteous comments from the religious people. These same people mercy kill their pets when they're in terminal distress, and would likely wish so on themselves if they experienced such.

http://www.debate.org/opinions/do-pe...a-right-to-die
    Last edited by Seth1968; 01-04-2015 at 01:05 PM.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Sorry to hear your experience Seth, I do not envy your position but ultimately most of us will be in it in one manner or another during our lifetime.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Thanks for that JRS, but no need to be sorry. Heck, I'm indifferent to death. My only emotion is anger as I'll go to prison if I end her suffering.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Aren't there a handful of states in the US that allow assisted suicide? I fail to see what is stopping modern society from adopting the practice with some tight controls of course.

Seth, I don't know you in any manner, but wish you all the strength to handle your situation.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Want to die? Grab your shotgun, pills, noose or plug your car's exhaust.

Don't bring other people in the equation. Make the choice yourself. People have been managing to commit suicide for quite some time so what's the problem here exactly?

Oh right we want the ability to kill other people when they become inconvenient. Unless the person who is doing the dying is killing themselves there is always going to be the problem that someone else is pressuring them into the act or performing it against their will. Who are we to judge the quality of life of someone else or the worth of their existance?

Originally posted by mazdavirgin
    Want to die? Grab your shotgun, pills, noose or plug your car's exhaust.

Don't bring other people in the equation. Make the choice yourself. People have been managing to commit suicide for quite some time so what's the problem here exactly?

Oh right we want the ability to kill other people when they become inconvenient. Unless the person who is doing the dying is killing themselves there is always going to be the problem that someone else is pressuring them into the act or performing it against their will. Who are we to judge the quality of life of someone else or the worth of their existance?
    I don't even...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast