Quantcast
Saudi Prince: $100-a-barrel oil 'never' again - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Saudi Prince: $100-a-barrel oil 'never' again

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by r3ccOs

what happens though... is that everyone seems to measure their status "penis" by the income they earn, and the assets they purchased (not necessarily owned, as everyone seems to finance their shirts off their back)
    Not here. My only complaint is that people earning ludicrous money have a negative affect on the rest of us by driving prices up (because lots of them aren't very responsible with their cash). A double whammy occurs because this affects them as well, so their actual overall increase in income is reduced by how much higher prices are. They'll pay $50 for a shitty meal and tip 20% on it, because they can, not because they should.

Mainly housing prices is the big issue though.

Man my co-worker charges $300/hr and he now refuses to go up north for work.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Not here. My only complaint is that people earning ludicrous money have a negative affect on the rest of us by driving prices up (because lots of them aren't very responsible with their cash). A double whammy occurs because this affects them as well, so their actual overall increase in income is reduced by how much higher prices are. They'll pay $50 for a shitty meal and tip 20% on it, because they can, not because they should.

Mainly housing prices is the big issue though.
    This issue unfortunately is not an issue with high income earners, but rather those who can't keep up to the rate of inflation... delivery the services that have gone up in price, just cause opportunistic owners are taking advantage of market tolerance (but not paying their employees more)

Are food costs really that much higher in AB? give me a break, same fucking logistics as any other Canadian city and better than most infact... How can Sysco foods tell me it costs more for a order of romain lettuce than it does in Victoria?

You're kidding me right? Alberta has one of the worst climates to grow food in.

Fuck you can grow lettuce in Victoria until December! And start it back up in February!

We get shafted so hard on produce it's not even funny.

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 10:40 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Originally posted by BMDUBS
    I would love to see examples of these $150k journeyman tradesmen.

Unless you're a company owner I do not believe any trades guy working for someone else is making $150k. $80k-$90k yes, $150k no.
    I wouldnt even consider going north for under $150k. I make about 100k in calgary working 8-4 and I am at home in my own bed every night. 150k is very realistic up north for a j-man. they pay 80-90k starting out for people driving truck up there.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    Everyone's priorities are different. Some of the guys who claim to do nothing but sit in warm shacks in the middle of nowhere for 14 hours a day sure sound angry... and I know I could never do it. I know some complete stress cases and early heart attack candidates. Not to mention the toll it takes on your family/social life. Sure if you don't have any kids or family obligations and it suits you, go for it. Personally, I don't care if it's 10X the average salary. It's just not worth it to me.
    I don't have kids so I can't comment on that but I definitely don't think it takes a toll on my relationship or social life.

To me it's a quality over quantity thing with your wife. I used to be self employed then I was a project manager in residential land development. With those jobs I would work 12 hours a day mon-fri, work 8 on Saturdays and usually 4 or 5 on sundays, yes I was home every night but I was tired and stressed which in turn didn't make me a good husband. You guys can say that I didn't have to work that much in the city but to get ahead you have to work hard and bust your ass, I didn't want to be a some 80k/year, cookie cutter house, econobox car, one vaca a year type of guy, I've always wanted more.

in 2014 I averaged 10 days off after every 20-23 worked. Basically every month I would get a real vacation, my wife and I could go somewhere and spend days together without any stress of work at all, my time is my time. On top of that every month when we see each other we're both really excited and happy, not like your typical feeling of indifference when you see them every single day after work. Our relationship is better then it's ever been.

On top of that I get 1-3 months off every year (with salary and company vehicle) on top of my monthly 7-10 days.

When it comes to social life I don't get to go out every weekend anymore but I Haven't lost any friends, when I get in town I call them up and it's like nothing changed. We go out and it's business like usual.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

That's a very fair assessment.

There are definitely pros and cons to each particular job one has and ultimately it's up to you to decide how to get what is most important to you.
    Ultracrepidarian

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-02-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Originally posted by ddduke

I don't have kids so I can't comment on that but I definitely don't think it takes a toll on my relationship or social life.

To me it's a quality over quantity thing with your wife. I used to be self employed then I was a project manager in residential land development. With those jobs I would work 12 hours a day mon-fri, work 8 on Saturdays and usually 4 or 5 on sundays, yes I was home every night but I was tired and stressed which in turn didn't make me a good husband. You guys can say that I didn't have to work that much in the city but to get ahead you have to work hard and bust your ass, I didn't want to be a some 80k/year, cookie cutter house, econobox car, one vaca a year type of guy, I've always wanted more.

in 2014 I averaged 10 days off after every 20-23 worked. Basically every month I would get a real vacation, my wife and I could go somewhere and spend days together without any stress of work at all, my time is my time. On top of that every month when we see each other we're both really excited and happy, not like your typical feeling of indifference when you see them every single day after work. Our relationship is better then it's ever been.

On top of that I get 1-3 months off every year (with salary and company vehicle) on top of my monthly 7-10 days.

When it comes to social life I don't get to go out every weekend anymore but I Haven't lost any friends, when I get in town I call them up and it's like nothing changed. We go out and it's business like usual.
    makes sense to me, i see the negatives of being away from home but i always thought i could do it.

I don't think it would take a toll on my relationship at all

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The relationship thing varies from person to person. I know mine wouldn't survive that kind of setup, but some folks make it work and have great relationships.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    The relationship thing varies from person to person. I know mine wouldn't survive that kind of setup, but some folks make it work and have great relationships.
    No doubt. Being completely honest, I think the girlfriend would be more ok with it than I would. But if kids were involved? Not a chance. Partially I personally believe in both adults needing to be a part of a kid's life (I've lived having a shift worker for a father, it sucked!) and in this day and age it takes two to run a household.

On top of that, most of dem wiminz are into that whole career thing nowadays. :p

Different strokes indeed!

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

my dad was a truck driver, I never saw him, but we had a house and food, I worked 2 on 1 off for a couple years and the money was good the relationship with the wife was good, kids I find it was better then than it is now, I am home all the time and the kids just drive me insane and they fight with me all the time. I would prefer to be out of town now that i have done both.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ddduke
    [B]

perhaps this is a scenerio that works for you... and quite honestly everyone has their amibitons.

Maybe I'm lazy, but even working the extra couple hours a day, when required, takes a toll on me...
    I do a set 37.5, get every second Friday off, standard 5 weeks off, and other PDO perks, plus holidays (which site folks want to work for wage benefits). Yet I would say, I'm far from living a prudish lifestyle... though I would also say I'm smart enough to say I'd rather keep some of my money than live life like a beyond baller

I couldn't even imagine looking at Siemans/Honeywell dashboards for 10+ hours a day, let alone work as a lease hand, a trade, or driving a truck for 20+ days consecuitively.

I mean I get it, make hay while the Sun's Shining, which is obviously what you and many do... and you're compensated for it.

However, when people start comparing apples to apples... i.e. salary broke down into hourly wages, most would have to agree...
    thanks to no shortage of work (well in the last 5 years)its more the number of consecuitive hours/days and compensation offered to work remote which is why wages are high and not necessarily the complexity or how physically hard the role is.

I've been at a plant in hardisty a couple years ago to work on a upgrade, and I tell you... I can see why people go stir crazy and buy the first shiny thing they see, when they leave on their short change.

To Make "Money" you need to put your time in, no doubt. Regardless if you're trying to get your Guild Ring, a MBA, PHD, or just putting in hours at Camp, time needs to be sacrificed.
    However, I just don't see how that kind of lifestyle can be sustained, but hey long haul drivers, and any remote mining operations have been doing that since the industrial age.

What drives me bonkers are the arrogant tattoo'd meathead who come back, ripping around in their lifted 1 tons, clattered with stupid stickers, cutting people off, because their time off is more important than everyone elses. Then go puff up their chests and attempt to validate them selves by comparing pensis's based on "how much they make" and "what they own".

how many times have you heard at a pub/bar/gym the question... "so how much do you make?"

"oh you're a dentist?, Well I make more than you, I work at site"

why is this so important to people?

Its one thing earn a high income, but why be materialistc and set objectives to "own that exceptional house", "own the fastest Boat", "own the largest toy hauling RV", "own the biggest truck", or "own that maui vacation property" when you only get so much time to use is?

A number of people I know, have gotten into that "Trap"... they say, they only want to put in a few years (mostly engineers) to gain experience and to earn a nest egg...
    but how often do they get sucked into a high-income lifestyle? I'd say most of the time.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 01-19-2015 at 06:51 AM.

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Originally posted by r3ccOs
    how many times have you heard at a pub/bar/gym the question... "so how much do you make?"

"oh you're a dentist?, Well I make more than you, I work at site"

why is this so important to people?

Its one thing earn a high income, but why be materialistc and set objectives to "own that exceptional house", "own the fastest Boat", "own the largest toy hauling RV", "own the biggest truck", or "own that maui vacation property" when you only get so much time to use is?
    Are you seriously asking why people behave/think this way when this is North America? The most consumerist and materialistic society on the planet?

Also, the way you phrase it reeks of moral superiority dude.
    Last edited by themack89; 01-19-2015 at 10:57 AM.
    On Sabbatical

Originally posted by themack89

Are you seriously asking why people behave/think this way when this is North America? The most consumerist and materialistic society on the planet?

perhaps this is more what I meant...

for most people, I believe working abroad is to gain experience and for the greater income potential. I think for a number of if not most people, these engagements are intended to be a short to medium term engagement with a set objective and end goal in mind, meaning also an end date.

What usually happens, like it is with any job, is that people's lifestyles become acustom and adapted to their income (sometimes working environment, but usually not up in the field) and it becomes an endless trap where you have to do whatever you can do, to sustain that lifestyle.

I can tell you that again, the same neighbor, tried to take an office role in their south campus... and the moneies just couldn't cut it and transfered back out to site.

he doesn't enjoy site, but its the money that has become more than an addication, as it is your lifeline.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

I just heard on Bloomberg that Saudi Arabia is on track for a budget deficit of 11% of GDP... That's a deficit of ~$82 BILLION

My Ride
    Z

Originally posted by themack89

also, the answer is I pretty much never hear that. Maybe once every 3 years? Guy must hang out at the old rusty cage
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4