Quantcast
Ticket for not having my lights on - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ticket for not having my lights on

cops in this city are a joke....definitely protecting and serving with this ticket.

I got a ticket last week at 4:15 pm for not having my lights on...it wasn't even dark yet. I hope to hell that loser constable shows up to court so I can rip him a new ass hole. Too bad I can't sue the cop for lost time at work for having to appear in court.

My Ride
    Ford

Originally posted by Type_S1
    cops in this city are a joke....definitely protecting and serving with this ticket.

I got a ticket last week at 4:15 pm for not having my lights on...it wasn't even dark yet. I hope to hell that loser constable shows up to court so I can rip him a new ass hole. Too bad I can't sue the cop for lost time at work for having to appear in court.
    ticket for no lights on, or ticket for no DRL?
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

Yeah, I really think if we happen to see a law being broken right in front of us, we should completely ignore it and in doing so, unlawfully neglect our duty and not do what we are paid for. I think if it's a law that doesn't really "count" and isn't that important, we shouldn't be subject to the rigorous criticism that people fling our way for not properly doing our jobs, cause things like this that effect everyday people aren't the same as "real" laws being broken.

Let me know when you can figure out a way to pay for and hire enough of us to be on every street corner, in every home, and on top of everything that people are doing to each other that counts under the "protecting and serving" umbrella, and I'll personally drive you to city hall to present it to council.

---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

Originally posted by blairtruck

DRL were of course on, the ticket was for 55 (1)(c) at 4:15 pm on deerfoot, while it was still light out and visibility for miles. I was told they were "cracking down on it" as not having your lights on while it's light out must be extremely dangerous. I asked him to please show up for the court date and proceeded to get logs of deerfoot traffic cameras and city of calgary and government of Canada website records stating the visibility for the time the ticket was given. This guy should be suspended or be forced to pay me $100 out of pocket for the time I'm going to waste walking to the court house and calling him a loser.

Originally posted by phil98z24

Yeah, I really think if we happen to see a law being broken right in front of us, we should completely ignore it and in doing so, unlawfully neglect our duty and not do what we are paid for. I think if it's a law that doesn't really "count" and isn't that important, we shouldn't be subject to the rigorous criticism that people fling our way for not properly doing our jobs, cause things like this that effect everyday people aren't the same as "real" laws being broken.

Let me know when you can figure out a way to pay for and hire enough of us to be on every street corner, in every home, and on top of everything that people are doing to each other that counts under the "protecting and serving" umbrella, and I'll personally drive you to city hall to present it t
    So you are saying you would give a ticket for that "unsafe" left turn? How about for not having lights on during day time hours? My problem is police in this city are so focused on ticket revenue they seem to forget the bigger picture. Being a traffic cop has to be one of the most degrading jobs one could have. Detectives, the GU, etc. I have respect for as they are actually trying to make the city a better place. Giving someone a crock of shit ticket because you have a quota to meet is a joke. I don't understand how someone can really feel good about their lives when their sole purpose is handing out traffic tickets.

edit: the negative comments are not directed at you Phil...it's just my opinion that the system has a massive flaw. I feel the same about city construction workers lack of productivity and wasted resources (8 guys on break while 1 works), and even departments at my own company where I could fire half the people and see the same amount of work pumped out.
    Last edited by Type_S1; 01-10-2015 at 04:16 PM.

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

DRL were of course on, the ticket was for 55 (1)(c) at 4:15 pm on deerfoot, while it was still light out and visibility for miles. I was told they were "cracking down on it" as not having your lights on while it's light out must be extremely dangerous. I asked him to please show up for the court date and proceeded to get logs of deerfoot traffic cameras and city of calgary and government of Canada website records stating the visibility for the time the ticket was given. This guy should be suspended or be forced to pay me $100 out of pocket for the time I'm going to waste walking to the court house and calling him a loser.
    Just so you know, 55 (1) (c) is not for headlights, the wording is as follows:

55 (1) (c) have a vehicle in motion on the highway unless the tail lamps, side marker lamps, identification lamps and clearance lamps with which the vehicle is required to be equipped under the Vehicle Equipment Regulation are alight;

Yes and your side markers come on when you turn your headlights on no? The cops exact words when I got pulled over, as caught on dash cam, was that it was getting dark and my night time head lights weren't on therefore my side markers weren't lit so he was forced to give me a ticket. I asked him if he was joking and he said no, it's getting dark out and they were cracking down on it.

Yes and your side markers come on when you turn your headlights on no? The cops exact words when I got pulled over, as caught on dash cam, was that it was getting dark and my night time head lights weren't on therefore my side markers weren't lit so he was forced to give me a ticket. I asked him if he was joking and he said no, it's getting dark out and they were cracking down on it.
    Hear, fucking, hear for the cop!! I'm so sick and tired of idiots driving around that can't figure out how/when to turn on their lights. Sure it gets dark at 4:45-5:00...but on darker, cloud cover days, at 4:00 it starts to get dim light, and often, when 90% of the cars all have their lights on, someone with NO tail or marker lights on is hard to see.

Hell, coming home from Strathmore last week, it was 3:00 pm and it started snowing heavily. Near white out conditions, everyone on the highway has all their lights on, except for this IDIOT in front of us that you couldn't see at all. I flashed him a few times, he couldn't seem to figure out he had no lights on except his DRL's. Took until we hit Shaunessy, and I pulled up beside him at a red light...A fucking 30-something, EMS ATTENDANT no less!!!!! "Dude..turn your fucking lights on...can't see you at all out there!!!"
    "OH!! Didn't realize they weren't on! Thanks"

Good on the cop!!

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by blairtruck

Not all vehicles are equipped with DRL you know :P

Originally posted by C_Dave45

Hear, fucking, hear for the cop!! I'm so sick and tired of idiots driving around that can't figure out how/when to turn on their lights. Sure it gets dark at 4:45-5:00...but on darker, cloud cover days, at 4:00 it starts to get dim light, and often, when 90% of the cars all have their lights on, someone with NO tail or marker lights on is hard to see.

Hell, coming home from Strathmore last week, it was 3:00 pm and it started snowing heavily. Near white out conditions, everyone on the highway has all their lights on, except for this IDIOT in front of us that you couldn't see at all. I flashed him a few times, he couldn't seem to figure out he had no lights on except his DRL's. Took until we hit Shaunessy, and I pulled up beside him at a red light...A fucking 30-something, EMS ATTENDANT no less!!!!! "Dude..turn your fucking lights on...can't see you at all out there!!!"

Good on the cop!!

Plus one on this.

Let us know the court date, I'll take a day off work to watch you "rip him a new ass hole"

I can't wait to see the "logs of deerfoot traffic cameras and city of calgary and government of Canada website records stating the visibility for the time the ticket was given."

As for the cops, keep writing these types of tickets, keeps our taxes lower and helps pay for the work of all the CPS members that keep our city safe.

For myself, 30+ years of driving with zero at fault accidents and zero tickets. I've managed to drive without getting a ticket for over 30 years so I find it strange that you can't do it. I've had a dash cam for over six years now and since then I find I'm a more careful driver. After all I wouldn't want a video of me being an asshole at a gas station or doing something wrong.

I'm no lawyer but if I showed up in court I'd expect the judge to ask for the entire video from the whole day, I'd also be very careful of what the rest of the video shows. Never being in court; when you ask for disclosure, does the crown also ask for it from you? or can you just show up with a video that may or may not be the entire unedited video?

Originally posted by C_Dave45

Good on the cop!!
    On this day it was clear, light out, no snow, no wind, no white out conditions. Don't jump to conclusions idiot. As per the actual law...you need to have your markers on if visibility is low....go take a look.

Originally posted by Star1995

Let us know the court date, I'll take a day off work to watch you "rip him a new ass hole"

I can't wait to see the "logs of deerfoot traffic cameras and city of calgary and government of Canada website records stating the visibility for the time the ticket was given."

As for the cops, keep writing these types of tickets, keeps our taxes lower and helps pay for the work of all the CPS members that keep our city safe.

For myself, 30+ years of driving with zero at fault accidents and zero tickets. I've managed to drive without getting a ticket for over 30 years so I find it strange that you can't do it. I've had a dash cam for over six years now and since then I find I'm a more careful driver. After all I wouldn't want a video of me being an asshole at a gas station or doing something wrong.

I'm no lawyer but if I showed up in court I'd expect the judge to ask for the entire video from the whole day, I'd also be very careful of what the rest of the video shows. Never being in court; when you ask for disclosure, does the crown also ask for it from you? or can you just show up with a video that may or may not be the entire unedited video?
    I've had zero accidents and 3 tickets in my 8 years of driving. 1 ticket was for speeding which I had thrown out ( the cop was ticketing a certain road as 50km when it was actually 60), another was for failing to stop at a stop sign which was thrown out (cop was over 300m away coming in the opposite direction which I had dash cam footage of me stopping then getting pulled over) and now this one. I'd be happy to hand over the days footage but what would it even matter? It's a good thing you aren't a lawyer though because by your post you would be a bad one. Congrats on your 30 years of going without tickets.

On this day it was clear, light out, no snow, no wind, no white out conditions. Don't jump to conclusions idiot. As per the actual law...you need to have your markers on if visibility is low....go take a look.
    Post the dash cam video

Yeah..'cuz turning your lights on in winter conditions is such a tedious and strenuous task.

Obviously the cop felt the conditions deemed it necessary. Oh right...he was just out to get *YOU* specifically, and you're the last word on what is safe driving. Idiot.

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

The way to clear up any confusion would be to post the dash cam video leading up to the ticket. Then the conditions would become obvious and we could hear the cops exact wording.

My Ride
    something green

It's becoming very common to see people driving without the full set of lights on now, simply because with the advent of digital gauge clusters and bright Drl's, the instruments are now lit all the time, where as on older cars, they weren't until you had the parks or the full compliment on.
    Does this really deserve the full pull over especially on deerfoot where a traffic stop tends to cause traffic insanity, and the officer is getting out of his car on major freeway, a reasonable mind would of course say no. A simple honk and a light flick would probable be the safer of the two options. But where's the revenue in that I guess, and the law tends to ignore common sense. On top of that its very common for police to drive around with no lights on, no Drl's or anything, that's a safety issue in itself considering people are so conditioned to look for Drls now when making traffic decisions.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    '11 Tundra TRD

Not to further derail from the original topic but as stated above, why do Police cars have the right to run around with just DRL's on all the time? During the day time I swear 90% of the time I see a vehicle with no lights on in the city or even on the #1 it is a cruiser. I've been so tempted to flash my highs at them multiple times as I would any other common motorist to inform then, but always afraid of getting a ticket for "stunting" or whatever else they can come up with.

Originally posted by Adrenaline101
    Not to further derail from the original topic but as stated above, why do Police cars have the right to run around with just DRL's on all the time? During the day time I swear 90% of the time I see a vehicle with no lights on in the city or even on the #1 it is a cruiser. I've been so tempted to flash my highs at them multiple times as I would any other common motorist to inform then, but always afraid of getting a ticket for "stunting" or whatever else they can come up with.
    Kind of hard to sneak up on a crime in progress if you have lights on...

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Originally posted by Adrenaline101
    They can shut everything off (i.e. 'stealth mode') completely, including the DRL's if they want to.

Simply for the reason that Star1995 posted. If you're responding to a burglary in progress, do you really want the bad guy to see you coming from a mile away?

Provided that they're performing their duties as a peace officer, they are allowed to break any TSA law that they want to. This includes speeding, going through red lights, etc, whether the lights and sirens are on or not.

Same reason why you'll see cruisers turn on the red and blue's to go through a red light, only to shut them off afterwards.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast