Quantcast
Suncor announce laid off of 1000 in 2015 - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Suncor announce laid off of 1000 in 2015

heavyfuel, how much busier are you going to be?

the only thing I know is that other commodities are increasing in value, so if you're an engineer, or geologist... time to look at Zinc and other kinda crappy metals

Originally posted by Redlined_8000

Thats it? Wow I thought a Mayor would pull way more. Interesting.
    He gets a vehicle of his choice (he drives a Prius) and gets things like free parking. Not sure if it's a taxable benefit - politicians have their own rules.

My Ride
    E46

Would it be normal for companies to pull job offers in times like these? I graduate in May and accepted an offer months ago before oil hit really low. I haven't been job hunting since, should I be worried?

TL

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Little Dragon
    Would it be normal for companies to pull job offers in times like these? I graduate in May and accepted an offer months ago before oil hit really low. I haven't been job hunting since, should I be worried?
    Usually once you sign the papers, you're good to go. It has happened before but it's really rare; the offer was verbal and wasn't able to be formally finalized on time.

My Ride
    NC1

Thats it? Wow I thought a Mayor would pull way more. Interesting.
    What were number were you thinking?

There are some trades out there that pull in some really sick numbers. Cough PDR Cough PDR lol haha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Originally posted by max_boost

What were number were you thinking?

There are some trades out there that pull in some really sick numbers. Cough PDR Cough PDR lol haha
    I wasn't thinking anything specific but 200-250k is achievable for lots of people, figured the Mayor of Calgary would make more for the amount of responsibility he has.

Originally posted by flipstah

Usually once you sign the papers, you're good to go. It has happened before but it's really rare; the offer was verbal and wasn't able to be formally finalized on time.
    This JUST happened to a friend of mine. He was a contractor, and was offered a EIT position at my company, went on vacation. Got an email saying they rescinded the offer because of a hiring freeze. I felt terrible for the guy.

He should've signed the papers before he left.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I wasn't thinking anything specific but 200-250k is achievable for lots of people, figured the Mayor of Calgary would make more for the amount of responsibility he has.
    Don't worry, he gets massive kickbacks from bicycle manufacturers

My Ride
    Nothing

sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by suntan
    God finally junior people making $100K something something go to hell.
    Senior costs way more and unless you are life blood of company/account, expect to be cut first to maximize savings.

At least that's what I heard over gym chats that's what Sanjel is doing.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-13-2015 at 06:53 PM.

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

This is great news. Get rid of some of the useless baggage that o&G companies have sitting around.

Let the market correct itself. Housing is a complete joke in this city. I think the majority of the beyonders on are the same boat when talking about how over-priced the living situation is in this city.

It will be nice to see a correction. It will hurt us, but we need it.

everyone still has jobs, people are still moving here in droves, nobody is moving out, malls are packed, and house prices are still ridiculous. Until those things change it's all just white noise.

My Ride
    TSX

Originally posted by BigMass
    everyone still has jobs, people are still moving here in droves, nobody is moving out, malls are packed, and house prices are still ridiculous. Until those things change it's all just white noise.
    This is only the beginning of what's to come. Give it a few months and things in this city are going to change a lot. There's still going to be a lot more layoffs to come. Active listings for Calgary housing are already up 53% this month over last January and it's not even half of the month yet! Good news for me since I'm looking to buy a place

Originally posted by 7thgenvic
    This is great news. Get rid of some of the useless baggage that o&G companies have sitting around.

Let the market correct itself. Housing is a complete joke in this city. I think the majority of the beyonders on are the same boat when talking about how over-priced the living situation is in this city.

It will be nice to see a correction. It will hurt us, but we need it.
    yea this is pretty much my opinion, too. people will just have to do more with less. pretty much everyone else in north america went through this same thing in the late 2000s. on the other hand, service should improve at restaurants (looking at you, tim horton's haha)

Originally posted by Speed_69

This is only the beginning of what's to come. Give it a few months and things in this city are going to change a lot. There's still going to be a lot more layoffs to come. Active listings for Calgary housing are already up 53% this month over last January and it's not even half of the month yet! Good news for me since I'm looking to buy a place
    lol yeah. Tons of new listings that are priced higher than what was sold even a few months ago. People are acting like oil is at $450 not $45. Every listing is pretty much a record price, nobody is willing to go down. So for now it's useless. Until we see real price drops. As in, a home that sold for $600k last year is selling for $500k now then it's bullshit. What I'm seeing is, more listings yes, but that $600k home from last year is now listed for $750k. Then they will drop their price to $700k and call it a price drop. It's still overpriced by $200k.

I'm usually doom and gloom but I'm %100 convinced that house prices will barely be impacted. People will be flush with cash, government will be ultra accommodating, even lowering rates if needed. They will inflate the dollar and implement policies to prop up every asset class, equities, oil prices, real estate etc. So for me yes, this is all white noise. This city will never see 2009 house prices every again. Not even 2012 prices lol. Make that, any pre-flood price. This city's real estate is either going to level off or continue to go up.

When every single person that currently doesn't own a home is saying "I cant wait for prices to come down so I can BUY". That is a guaranteed sure sign of no price drop. You won't have a price drop with people waiting to buy. It's basic economics. The real sign of a price drop is when people that don't own homes are saying, "thank god I don't own a home right now, this city is toast, don't own a home and will never buy anything in this city, i'll continue to rent. This is what people said when we had real recessions, in the 80s and 90s. Now it's a joke. Everyone is predicating price drops because they can't wait to buy. LOL. Nope sorry. Keep waiting.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Sounds like a good time to go back to school. Except I'll be eating PB&J instead of taking clients out for sushi
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Bicycle

That very positive view BigMass. But I would be surprise if interest rate will go down instead of up this year.

Effect of laid off and canceled project won't materialize for another 8 to 10 months because of severance packages and ei. We will see if market will stay firm over spring and summer.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-13-2015 at 09:43 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Not sure if posted elsewhere...

CNRL cuts $2.4 billion from 2015 capital spending plan

http://calgaryherald.com/business/en...-spending-plan
    Ultracrepidarian

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 01:05 AM.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by kaput
    The crash in 2009 took about 6 months to bottom out at around $35. We are almost 6 months in to this one and appear to be on track for something similar. I don't understand the illumaniti chart analysis techniques you guys use; but as a below average idiot who knows how to Google and then pretend to be an expert, I think we will bottom out in a few weeks, flatline, and then things slowly return to something sustainable by 2016.

http://quotes.post1.org/historical-c...l-price-chart/

I have to agree with you, however, I think we are going to sit at these levels at least for a few more months. I don't consider the shit hitting the fan to have happened really until the third week of November.

Can't forget, this isn't a massive global reccession like 2009, either.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast