Quantcast
The Mayor Gets a Raise! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mayor Gets a Raise!

Default The Mayor Gets a Raise!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-12-2019 at 11:13 PM.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Ya, this is poor timing on the part of the city.

Everything except the cost to fill up at the pump is up, there are people getting laid off, hiring freezes, wage freezes, oh that bonus you were going to get..... sorry.
    And on top of the wage increase they feel justified in increasing the cycle track network at a cost to tax payer...

Oh, but Neshi did such a great job in 2012 with the floods so I'll look the other way becauase he's such a great Mayor for the city

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Just because there is a downturn doesn't mean everybody stops getting raises/bonuses/performance incentives.

The rate isn't out of line with averages and they didn't take one last year.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by nickyh
    Ya, this is poor timing on the part of the city.

Everything except the cost to fill up at the pump is up, there are people getting laid off, hiring freezes, wage freezes, oh that bonus you were going to get..... sorry.
    And on top of the wage increase they feel justified in increasing the cycle track network at a cost to tax payer...

Oh, but Neshi did such a great job in 2012 with the floods so I'll look the other way becauase he's such a great Mayor for the city
    There was also a story that calgary transit bought 80% of their diesel at a locked in rate which of course would be higher than it is currently. 20% will be at market rate which was supposed to make people happy

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

The optics are pretty bad and I'll never miss a chance to see Nenshi look bad, but in reality this isn't a big issue. Errr, I mean "Nenshi's a crook"!
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Blue boy

Beyond Protest @ Silly Hall?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-12-2019 at 11:13 PM.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I won't argue that. People who are good at their job get raises, bonuses and performance incentives.

However, our council on the other hand have no such requirements to be good at their job to earn this raise, in fact we get endless property tax increases that are far greater than inflation every year because of their inability to produce a reasonable budget for the city.

This, word for word.

If my company does not meet expectations for EBIDTA etc, whatever raise we might have received is slashed by a number the board deems reasonable because clearly our company can't budget revenues and expenses reliably, so there is less of a pool to work from to divide out.

Even if I did a fantastic job last year, if we only have a 2% increase across the board that the board deems appropriate or a salary freeze - that's what I have to live with. I may not like it, but that's the reality of life.

It wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal if it wasn't for this line.

The pay hike effectively makes Mayor Naheed Nenshi Canada’s highest paid mayor...

They get a raise of the same % of the average Albertan raise. And the majority of council donates it to Charity.

Is this really a concern? Want them to go back to how it used to be and vote on how much of a raise they get?

This is a non issue.

To be honest, it probably wouldn't make a difference to any of the critics as to whom might be elected to council - they'd still be critical of any raises council may get and that despite that some council members have publicly stated that they won't be pocketing these raises.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The Nensheep will continue to have a hard on for Nenshi. This news won't change anything. Next on the list for the city is the huge debt coming our way as the provincial gravy train dries up and tax breaks that the city relies on are taken away. Even then the Nensheep will he hard for him. Maybe not teenaged hard, more like middle aged hard. When everything finally trickles down and only the top 20% can actually afford to live here, that's when finally the Nensheep will go full ED.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Anyone who understands compensation outside of "wow, 200k thats a big number!" would realize that his total compensation is minuscule in related to the level of responsibility if you were to compare to private sector.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

douchebag

Originally posted by Neil4Speed
    Anyone who understands compensation outside of "wow, 200k thats a big number!" would realize that his total compensation is minuscule in related to the level of responsibility if you were to compare to private sector.
    200k to be mayor I'm in...

It's not that 200k is a lot of money. It's that 200k + all the raises for a city council that is turning the city into a nanny state is stupid.

Anyone with the mindset that fixing traffic in and out of downtown is to remove lanes and turn them into bike lanes deserves a pay cut.

Meh.

Buffets are getting more expensive. Takes a lot of money to keep up that weight of his.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Meh as well.

4% is fine. Bad for visibility but that's basically the average raise everyone got in town if they didn't get a pink slip.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-14-2015 at 11:19 AM.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Stupid thread title.. but expected on here.

LOL.. some of you make it sound like Nenshi single handedly got this raise for himself.. he has no more say or power than one of the alderman and is only one voice in the council, nothing more, nothing less. Hes not some supreme dictator. I also doubt any of them will personally gain from this raise which some have even stated.

From Nenshis twitter.

Naheed Nenshi @nenshi · 13h 13 hours ago
    @Nick_X2 I donate a huge chunk of my salary because I do think it's high, but I should not interfere with the process.

How much of your salary do you guys donate? Sitting in your mc manshions in the soulless burbs with your fat oil jobs.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

As I said, it should be tied to property taxes. If they have to increase them more than inflation, they should have to take a wage cut of the amount they went over that mark. If they can keep it under inflation on the other hand, then they can give themselves a raise equal to the percentage below the inflation mark.
    You seriously think that if McVicor or some other red neck idiot was Mayor that this would happen?? Things would be totally different?? HAHAHA!!!
    Last edited by ZEDGE; 01-14-2015 at 11:29 AM.

reasons why Nenshi has claimed he hasn't raised his rental payments

Originally posted by Neil4Speed
    To be the mayor of Calgary basically means a 24/7 job.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast