Quantcast
Speeding Tickets / GDL / Demerits Question - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Speeding Tickets / GDL / Demerits Question

My Ride
    is broken

Sounds like you need to join us at AutoX. Get all your Need for Speed out.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    G37X

As others have said just go get your full license before paying/fighting your tickets. I was in the same boat with 2 tickets in 4 days last year while on my GDL. For what it's worth, at least with Economical which is my insurance company, they don't care about demerits. A speeding ticket is a speeding ticket so in my case getting a reduction on them might save me a bit of cash but would've had no affect on my insurance.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by jacky4566
    Sounds like you need to join us at AutoX. Get all your Need for Speed out.
    This definitely helps as well. But I find I end up speeding on the way to and from auto x cause I sleep in too much lol.

thanks for all the advice guys

Originally posted by relyt92
    As others have said just go get your full license before paying/fighting your tickets. I was in the same boat with 2 tickets in 4 days last year while on my GDL. For what it's worth, at least with Economical which is my insurance company, they don't care about demerits. A speeding ticket is a speeding ticket so in my case getting a reduction on them might save me a bit of cash but would've had no affect on my insurance.
    So do you mean that insurances companies will penalize you for having speeding ticket convictions, BUT don't care how many demerits you have?

Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
    obviousally i dont want to see bad drivers on the road, thats why the demerit system is in place. Im only posting this because you actually admit you did wrong and are not making excuses.

Plead not guilty to both the tickets, your trial date will be literally months down the road.

Go do your exit test asap

Take your defensive driving course.

This will save your licence
    Thanks for the advice Traffic Cop. If I plead not guilty, that means I have to appear before a judge, correct? (as opposed to just meeting with the crown who can reduce demerits by a bit?)

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by nodoubtt

So do you mean that insurances companies will penalize you for having speeding ticket convictions, BUT don't care how many demerits you have?
    That's how it is with economical at least, a speeding ticket is a speeding ticket. Whether it's 5 over or 25 over. I had 2 fines of 30 over, both had fines of like $180 or something, both had different court dates in different cities. So even if I was able to get them both reduced to a smaller speeding fine my insurance would be no different and I'd be missing 2 days of work over it so it wasn't even worth it for me to bother.

My Ride
    2GR-FE Hethel, 14W246, 13W251, 06NC, 02Aerio

Insurance companies do not care how many demerits you have...demerits are for suspension only. Not insurance premium related.
    Convictions on the other hand will have an affect on your insurance rate but it varies for each company
    Insurance Pro

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by firebane

I think there is a massive difference if your in a 50 zone doing 55 or 60 if your in a zone like a park and you are exceeding 5-10 over or your on the highway and its posted 110 and your doing 130 that is excessive.
    Start accounting for the massive difference between indicated and actual speeds in your car and we might be getting somewhere.

tldr if you have your needle right on the limit you are traveling significantly under.

One example

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Thanks for the advice Traffic Cop. If I plead not guilty, that means I have to appear before a judge, correct? (as opposed to just meeting with the crown who can reduce demerits by a bit?)
    Nope. Plead not guilty. Trial date will be set months down the road (look on back of ticket, you can even do this by mail). On your trial date just show up, chat with crown, see if you can swing a deal.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by killramos
    Start accounting for the massive difference between indicated and actual speeds in your car and we might be getting somewhere.

tldr if you have your needle right on the limit you are traveling significantly under.
    Yup, I use waze so I can see my GPS speed and everyone that is keeping a constant speed is generally under by at least a few km/h even at low speeds. Also using different sized tires makes it +/- too. My winter tires are a bit smaller than me oem in rolling diameter.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Originally posted by schocker

Also using different sized tires makes it +/- too. My winter tires are a bit smaller than me oem in rolling diameter.
    Yep, on my winter beater I used some winter tires I pulled off my previous car and they're a fair bit undersized. Speed reads 100 km/h when in reality im going 89

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

LOL my truck is all mechanical. It has 2 gears which define the speed. I already got one ticket in it for going to fast lol.

My Ride
    A250

I was in a similar situation a few years back. You should do the defensive driving course and get 3 demerits removed. This should keep you right below the suspension threshold.

I opted to not take my advanced road test because I knew I couldn't speed anymore if I didn't want my licence suspended. Haven't had a driving infraction since and my demerits are back down to zero.

My Ride
    4Runner

Wondering.. does your demerits gradually go down over the years? im still confused, when does your demerit count go back to 0?

I just got a invalid U-turn ticket and that's 2 demerits and I don't know how much I currently have,, how long will that take to go away?or does it?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I swear no one here actually read up on any traffic laws at any time in their lives, even when they took their class 7. We should really hand out more suspensions...

Cheat Sheet from AB Transportation:

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ointsystem.pdf

Your demerits disappear from your record 2 years after date of CONVICTION. So whenever you pay your fine in these cases.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Originally posted by Mostwanted
    Wondering.. does your demerits gradually go down over the years? im still confused, when does your demerit count go back to 0?

I just got a invalid U-turn ticket and that's 2 demerits and I don't know how much I currently have,, how long will that take to go away?or does it?
    I think it's 2 years after the conviction that the demerits for that ticket drop off. Might be 3, can't remember.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-02-2020 at 10:27 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by 01RedDX

2 years after conviction for the demerits to drop and 3 years for the conviction itself.
    The conviction itself will never drop off, it will always show up on a drivers abstract. The 3 year figure is just that insurance stops using minor infractions in their calculations if they are more than 3 years old (major convictions are different though)

If you got a speeding ticket 9 years ago and someone pulls a 10-year drivers abstract it will still show up, it never goes away. But usually at that point they don't care anymore.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-02-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Originally posted by flipstah
    I'd work on hiring POINTTS to get those lowered.
    Don't hire these scam artists, you'll end up paying $1000+ for them to fax a couple forms and "appear" for you when they go have lunch with the crown to look over the files of 20 other suckers, plus you'll have the pleasure of babysitting their incompetence the whole time. They do not have your best interests in mind and will do as little as possible for their payment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2