Quantcast
complaints of City of Calgary Councillors getting drunk and using illicit drugs - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: complaints of City of Calgary Councillors getting drunk and using illicit drugs

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default complaints of City of Calgary Councillors getting drunk and using illicit drugs

Well, the certainly explains A LOT!

Charges of councillors getting "blotto" at communtiy events and illicit drug use were bandied about during a Priorities and Finance Committee meeting Tuesday.

During debate on whether to bring members of council in line with administration when it comes to alcohol use while at work, Mayor Naheed Nenshi said he has received "multiple complaints of council members getting blotto at community events," and later, that he has received reports, "of illicit substances in the workplace."

When pressed by Coun. Andre Chabot, Nenshi said he has never suspected any members of council of being under the influence during a meeting, and clarified that by saying he wouldn't know what someone on drugs even looks like.

The idea of having random drug tests for elected city officials was raised by Coun. Sean Chu, however Nenshi pointed out the Supreme Court has been very clear that's not acceptable.

Committee members were discussing a recommendation to bring them under the same rules as administrators and city employees, which would mean they can't have alcohol in their offices, nor drink it during work hours.

Councillors will be allowed to have a drink at community events, but will have to remain "fit for duty," said auditor Kathy Palmer.

Whether someone is fit to work would be a discretionary decision made by other members of council, said Palmer.

More to come ...
    Nenshi is pretty quick to say no to testing...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

and clarified that by saying he wouldn't know what someone on drugs even looks like
    I'm honestly surprised Nenshi said this. For all the crap I give him, I really thought he'd be the last person to drop the "LOL what's drugs?!" line.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Yeah, as much as I hate Nenshi, I was surprised he said that. I am not levelling this charge at Nenshi, I am just surprised he is defending himself so quickly here. In my experiences in the past, that is a pretty good indicator of guilt.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Default Re: complaints of City of Calgary Councillors getting drunk and using illicit drugs

Originally posted by spikerS
    The idea of having random drug tests for elected city officials was raised by Coun. Sean Chu, however Nenshi pointed out the Supreme Court has been very clear that's not acceptable.
    I thought there are companies out there that do random drug testing. Or was this something in the past that no longer happens? If it does still happen then what is the comment above mean that this is not acceptable?

My Ride
    A250

Default Re: Re: complaints of City of Calgary Councillors getting drunk and using illicit drugs

Originally posted by roopi

I thought there are companies out there that do random drug testing. Or was this something in the past that no longer happens? If it does still happen then what is the comment above mean that this is not acceptable?
    IIRC Random drug testing isn't allowed anymore. Drug testing is still allowed if they provide notification.

Oh yeah here you go. http://www.mondaq.com/canada/x/24648...+The+Workplace

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

And reasonable grounds testing is allowed.

So if there is an accident, we can refer someone for an A&D test. We can also do it if we have reasonable grounds/suspicion that someone is under the influence.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Audi

Default Re: Re: complaints of City of Calgary Councillors getting drunk and using illicit drugs

Originally posted by roopi

I'm not a lawyer but I believe Nenshi is right about the SCC ruling (it was a union v. Irving paper).

Random alcohol/drug testing is only permitted in certain conditions (I believe it's dangerous workplace environment where there is evidence of widespread substance abuse). I imagine it would be a longshot to make case for city councillors that would allow random A&D testing when Suncor couldn't even do it for their oilsands operations.

Originally posted by FraserB
    And reasonable grounds testing is allowed.

So if there is an accident, we can refer someone for an A&D test. We can also do it if we have reasonable grounds/suspicion that someone is under the influence.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

and clarified that by saying he wouldn't know what someone on drugs even looks like
    I'm honestly surprised Nenshi said this. For all the crap I give him, I really thought he'd be the last person to drop the "LOL what's drugs?!" line.
    He's a liar. He knows exactly what a person on drugs looks like. Proof:

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by rage2

He's a liar. He knows exactly what a person on drugs looks like. Proof:

Well played sir, well played.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-02-2020 at 10:24 PM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Have to love how Sean Chu was so vehement he doesn't drink, yet didn't bother to deny the drugs.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Haha Ford was so strung out, he thought Nenshi was being "just really friendly"

Somehow I can't picture many City of Calgary Councillors being big drinkers or drug users. They seem like more of the fancy coffee or tea crowd to me. Although some of the ideas they come up with do make me wonder, what they are on.

My Ride
    Grimace

Now some of their ideas make sense

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

We need to clone Ralph Klein. He'd show these rookies how it's done

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Default Re: Re: Re: complaints of City of Calgary Councillors getting drunk and using illicit drugs

Originally posted by hampstor

I'm not a lawyer but I believe Nenshi is right about the SCC ruling (it was a union v. Irving paper).

Random alcohol/drug testing is only permitted in certain conditions (I believe it's dangerous workplace environment where there is evidence of widespread substance abuse). I imagine it would be a longshot to make case for city councillors that would allow random A&D testing when Suncor couldn't even do it for their oilsands operations.

This is true! Random drug testing had been determined to go against your charter of Rights and freedoms. I have to submit to alcohol and drug testing if we're involved in an incident. 2 levels of management has to approve of it. It could be something as simple as a broken truck mirror or a fatality at work. Depends if they're looking for a "reason" to fire a guy. But that is the life of a safety sensitive position.

My Ride
    EG6

I love how we can all get drug tested but the supreme court and other officials can't. ...i wonder why...
    If you get angry at my post please re-read as a joke or sarcasm.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Originally posted by Fly Fishin'
    I love how we can all get drug tested but the supreme court and other officials can't. ...i wonder why...
    Well in Canada you can find another job, if you don't like the terms of your employment. It would be up to council to put a policy in place, which I doubt they have one. Really you're not doing anything wrong if rules are not broken.

Just saw a clip on the news around this

Sean Chu: well she started picking on me first
    Nenshi: councillor Chu, this is not a junior high playground

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast