Quantcast
To lift, or not to lift? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: To lift, or not to lift?

Lifted truck owner here. If I had to do it all over again, I would stay as far away as possible from a lift. You're only gonna get as much clearance as your diffs allow anyways. Murder on front end parts, bigger more expensive tires, the list of negatives just never ends. The only real positive in my opinion is that it looks cool. Mind you my truck is a Dodge which is garbage compared to a Tacoma but still, that's my opinion. Spend your money on something else.

Originally posted by heavyfuel
    Lifted truck owner here. If I had to do it all over again, I would stay as far away as possible from a lift. You're only gonna get as much clearance as your diffs allow anyways. Murder on front end parts, bigger more expensive tires, the list of negatives just never ends. The only real positive in my opinion is that it looks cool. Mind you my truck is a Dodge which is garbage compared to a Tacoma but still, that's my opinion. Spend your money on something else.
    Unexpected quote from you sir

I too agree... bigger tires also equate to poor fuel consumption and reduced compentancies for Towing

Originally posted by r3ccOs

Unexpected quote from you sir

I call a spade a spade. Only reason I keep my truck at this point is, damned if I do damned if I don't. No payments, don't want em.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

^

I love the Dodge's. Only reason I bought a Tacoma was my not wanting a full size truck. If I went full size it would have been Dodge all the way!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

^

I love the Dodge's. Only reason I bought a Tacoma was my not wanting a full size truck. If I went full size it would have been Dodge all the way!
    Big mistake. Dodge=Chrysler=Fiat= Italians who don't know or care what is really needed in a heavy duty pickup. Throw a Cummins in there and everyone who wants to think they're a redneck will come running! Crawl under a F-350 and then crawl under a Ram 3500, then you tell me what you think. I was gonna buy a Tacoma but even with the seat all the way back and steering wheel all the way up my knee still touched the wheel going from pedal to pedal.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I'm a lifted truck owner too. I say do it once to get it out of your system, and make sure you can go back to stock. I don't regret lifting mine but I'm not sure I'd do it again. I know if I do lift another one I'll be keeping all the leftover stock parts.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride

Originally posted by heavyfuel
    I was gonna buy a Tacoma but even with the seat all the way back and steering wheel all the way up my knee still touched the wheel going from pedal to pedal.
    Geez! I'm 6'1" and 230 and fit just fine. How fucking tall are you or, do you have a 36/38" inseam?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Geez! I'm 6'1" and 230 and fit just fine. How fucking tall are you or, do you have a 36/38" inseam?
    6'3", 223lbs, size 34/34. It was just a matter of an inch and a half or so. Too bad cuz I really don't wanna own a car, Tacoma is IMO the perfect blend of sensible useful truck.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by SKR
    I'm a lifted truck owner too. I say do it once to get it out of your system, and make sure you can go back to stock. I don't regret lifting mine but I'm not sure I'd do it again. I know if I do lift another one I'll be keeping all the leftover stock parts.

I like the look of it but nothing drives me more nuts then the constant squeaks that seem to develop monthly out of the front end after the lift goes on.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

I'm a touch taller than heavyfuel and I don't fit in the tacoma either. Knees are right in the dash... Damn trucks made for midgets :\

My Ride

I guess it's true, I really AM perfectly proportioned!
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

As for the OP buddy of mine got his Tacoma lifted by the dealership with the Toyota levelling kit. The front diff started making god awful noises. The dealers solution to the problem was to take it back out and refund his money. Does not exactly inspire confidence when the OEM stuff doesn't even really work properly. AFAIK it's related to the front diff bearings but his started making the noise a couple months off the lot so...

Originally posted by mazdavirgin
    As for the OP buddy of mine got his Tacoma lifted by the dealership with the Toyota levelling kit. The front diff started making god awful noises. The dealers solution to the problem was to take it back out and refund his money. Does not exactly inspire confidence when the OEM stuff doesn't even really work properly. AFAIK it's related to the front diff bearings but his started making the noise a couple months off the lot so...
    I think Lift's themselves are "okay" if not overly agressive and done correctly with proper suspension based components.

Otherwise you gain no articulation benefits, and only gain body clearance, which will give you more axel clearance with tires, but nobody seems to do it right.

Bigger tires, you want the proper axel gearing
    With a lift, you want to ensure your pinion angles are safe, and that you have the proper axel spacers, new A arms and maybe extended CV joints that wont' pull out at full articulation...

I wanted a leveling kit, but after talking to a few buddies who've had to rebuild their font end (well just ball joints and alignments) twice in 80k km... I just don't think its for me.

Plus I do tow, and I'd prefer to have my rear end gears with the right sized tires to do what the truck was rated for.

However out of all trucks that look "great" with a lift... I'd have to hand it to the Taco

My Ride
    '11 Tundra TRD

The factory Tacoma needle bearings on the front diff output are a known issue with a few choices in upgrades. Having a proper differential drop kit when doing a lift also makes a world of difference, gives you a good 15 degrees improved cv angles.

To do a "proper" lift on a newer Toyota you are looking at $1500-2000. Aftermarket coilovers give a much better ride and reliability, coupled with an aftermarket upper control arm that's designed with a lift in mind to get the alignment angles in check and keep excessive load off of the upper ball joint.

I forgot another annoying thing Toyota did. The tabs that hold the camber and caster eccentrics on the frame are piss poor and flimsy, if you actually offroad and happen to give one a good jolt they can flatten out the tab and throw off the alignment. There is a few ways to remedy this of course.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2