Quantcast
To lift, or not to lift? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To lift, or not to lift?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Default To lift, or not to lift?

Thinking about lifting my Taco...not in a big rush, but wondering people's thoughts. I don't do any heavy off-road work, but wouldn't mind starting. Do a lot of backcountry fishing, so it would be handy there..plus the look...

Not too worried about resale, but assuming that lifting will decrease the resale amount? I know I don't want to buy a used lifted truck

Thoughts? Should i wait till my warranty is up before i even think about doing it? Do it through a dealer?

I see a truck like this, and immediately makes me want to dump a few grand into mine.

my truck currently

Last edited by Brent.ff; 01-20-2015 at 02:17 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Honestly unless you find yourself going through massively deep ruts or holes you should have no problems.

I would drive the truck as is and if you find you have troubles then look into a kit.

If you've got money burning a hole in your wallet, then giver.
    If not, save it and travel!

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I'll likely do a small lift on mine in awhile.....it just looks good haha
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    1985/1986/1988 4runner

I have a 2012 Taco with Walker Evans front coilovers, rear shocks, All Pro 3" leaves, AP control arms u-bolt flip and longer brake lines. I honestly wouldn't recommend WE as I'm not happy about their durability and after market rebuild support (ie parts diagrams, rebuild kits, etc) and the control arms have uniballs that need to be replaced often due to them being exposed to the elements. Technically my setup will give 3" of lift, but I've lowered the front coilovers to 2" (less preload means a smoother ride) and pulled 2 of the smaller leaves out back to match the front. I'm able to run a 285 tire with some slight rubbing up front on the mud flap.

I do not wheel my Taco, I have a dedicated wheeler, just take it shuttling to Moose or Mt 7, so my decision to lift it was 50/50 aesthetics and the ability to run a larger more aggressive tire for mountain fire roads. Install doesn't really require much technical know how, just a basic set of tools and a full day. Total cost was around $2500, which I offset by not getting the TRD Sport model.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

^

That's about all I'll be looking for when the time comes, 2" and a bit more aggressive tire package.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

At my shop we primarily install Toytec stuff. I'm not sure if that's because it's actually good or because they offer a large margin for our parts department or because they're an easy sell due to being cheap.

What do you guys think of them?

I've installed dozens of various toytec lifts and they're simple but seem to get the job done. I'm not a 4x4 guy though.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

^

That's about all I'll be looking for when the time comes, 2" and a bit more aggressive tire package.
    Same. Wouldn't mind a few more inches. Add-a-leaf and toytec boss kit

Sentry, Toytec seems to have a good reputation from what i've read on tacoma world

Don't get me wrong. I love my truck!

that color...

I had a the ICON stage 3 on my Tacoma, loved the kit. At first I had a small lift, but like you, after seeing so many big lift trucks I fell in love. It was worth the upgrade. I have since sold the truck for a Tundra, and will be doing the same to it. But I like to have fun with my truck as well

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Ya. So happy we went with the green. have had a couple old dudes ask me if it was a custom job.

Install the kit yourself?

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Old man emu is the best that I've experienced so far, installed probably a hundred different lifts into tacos.

Be warned, many lifted tacomas have front diff noise, even with diff spacers, I tend to suspect its from 4x4 at high speeds all winter due to M/T tires. If you do lift, just keep it off 4x4 at high speeds unless needed.

Some dealerships that install the lifts will warranty driveline issues without voiding it. PM me if you'd like some information regarding a dealer lift.

My Ride
    DC2

Im running old man emu in my 2014 with a wheelers 3 leaf add a leaf in the rear on 285/75/16 duratracs. Its only about a 2" (maybe slightly a bit more) lift but haven't had any issue so far and I've wheeled a decent amount. Rides great and price was right.

The only reason I went ome is because I plan on going one travel once the truck is a bit older. If I were to stay close to this setup I would have gone with fox coilovers.

Originally posted by Brent.ff
    Ya. So happy we went with the green. have had a couple old dudes ask me if it was a custom job.

Install the kit yourself?
    I searched everywhere for that color when I ordered mine, but there was none available with a 6 speed. I actually got the install for free, it was part of a promotion from ordering the kit.

Biggest thing to remember when lifting a truck, do not cheap out. It gets tempting when you can do 6" lifts for $1000ish, but you get what you pay for. Spend the extra money, you wont regret it. My first couple trucks that I lifted when I was younger were all done cheaper (Roughcountry etc..) and although they looked good, they rode like shit, and eventually started to wear down.

There are many solid options for Tacomas, I can vouch the ICON Stage 3-4 are worth a look. That color will look amazing with a 4-6" lift and more aggresive wheel/tire combo

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
    Be warned, many lifted tacomas have front diff noise, even with diff spacers, I tend to suspect its from 4x4 at high speeds all winter due to M/T tires. If you do lift, just keep it off 4x4 at high speeds unless needed.
    The needle bearing on the LH front axle shaft is usually the culprit of that noise. We replace the bearing with a solid clamshell bushing (aftermarket solution to a Toyota problem). Definitely keep it out of 4WD unless necessary though.

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-853...l-bushing.html

My Ride
    78 civic

Originally posted by Sentry

The needle bearing on the LH front axle shaft is usually the culprit of that noise. We replace the bearing with a solid clamshell bushing (aftermarket solution to a Toyota problem). Definitely keep it out of 4WD unless necessary though.

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-853...l-bushing.html

Any issues with lifted tundras? 2008

My Ride
    1985/1986/1988 4runner

If you keep the lift under 3" you may be able to avoid replacing the needle bearing, otherwise it's a really easy fix. Lifting an IFS truck over 3" is costly to do right and you start losing a lot of down travel in your suspension unless you go long travel, which is nearly $5000 and IMHO a waste of money (you can build a nice 80's/90's pickup or 4Runner for with a proper front axle).

And remember to put a shim under the leaves to get the differential yoke pointing back where it's supposed to.

My Ride
    '11 Tundra TRD

Originally posted by 78si

Any issues with lifted tundras? 2008
    Factory upper ball joints take a good beating especially if you wheel, other than that the most annoying thing is having to do a body mount chop to fit 35" tires on anything less than a 6" lift

OP for a simple lift in the 3" range I would suggest just putting a set of KING coilovers on it if you plan on doing any light wheeling. Otherwise a Toytec/Bilstein/OME lift will do just fine if you're just looking for height.

Love the Spruce Mica

OP . Check out Toyotaworld for different ways to lift a taco. Some great advice on there.

Got a few buddies that have the OME lifts and love them. The Aussies know a thing or two about offroading I reckon

That said, a lot depends on your budget and how often you plan on wheeling.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Thinking I'll be holding off until the job world gets a little safer. Thanks everyone

My Ride

I did the OME/5100 front and all pro rear pack (3" lift) on my 08 taco with 285/70/17 Duratracks.

It's cool looking and I'm sure it would do better off road now, but for daily use most of the time I really wish I kept it stock. If I was to do it again, I would stay on stock suspension and just upgrade the tires like you already did.
    Last edited by euro_racer; 02-02-2015 at 08:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast